New Exhaust..PICS as promissed...

fastsc92

Finally got some pics of the exhaust i just made. Some of you have been following me when i was putting all of this together. To sum it up, i made some long tube headers using the MAC style and making all new primary's for the drivers and one for the passenger side.

The rest of the system consists of no cats, 2.5, into an 18" magnaflow resonator, then out into a single 3.5", into a flowmaster y-collector, then back into dual 2.5" and then into two Borla mufflers. The whole system is mandrel bent, and fits like a glove. I'm getting hooked on the sound. No drone and a very nice tone while cruising and when you get on it...it really rips. 3rd gear breaks out like you're driving on ice. I am also still getting 15psi boost. Anyways..here's the pics...let me know what you guys think.

Header Pics : http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56414&highlight=longtube+headers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

thank you.....just wait for my frount mount project to come... :D I might make two of these and sell one of them.

I'm going to do a custom FMIC too. I'm going to use the OBX intercooler off of ebay for $275. Slysc has one of these and its about as big as the MP FMIC.

fastsc92 said:
Finally got some pics of the exhaust i just made. Some of you have been following me when i was putting all of this together. To sum it up, i made some long tube headers using the MAC style and making all new primary's for the drivers and one for the passenger side.

The rest of the system consists of no cats, 2.5, into an 18" magnaflow resonator, then out into a single 3.5", into a flowmaster y-collector, then back into dual 2.5" and then into two Borla mufflers. The whole system is mandrel bent, and fits like a glove. I'm getting hooked on the sound. No drone and a very nice tone while cruising and when you get on it...it really rips. 3rd gear breaks out like you're driving on ice. I am also still getting 15psi boost. Anyways..here's the pics...let me know what you guys think.

Header Pics : http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56414&highlight=longtube+headers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Dog,

How much, How long and what do you need from me to get this done for my SC?

Project Exhaust

That's a very nice looking Exhaust System! You did an excellent job!
I especially like the smooth flow from the resonator to the Borlas.
No 90's, no sharp bends. A true performance exhaust!
Is your system coated, or is it Hi-Heat Aluminum paint?
Thanks for the feedback about the sound. I bet it sounds great!
Please tell us a bit about the gains you noticed power-wise..... :eek:
What did you have on there before?
Power,Throttle Response, Mileage gains?
I'm sure it was a lot of work, as all custom systems are,
but from the looks of it, it was well worth it!
Once again, Nice Job!

PS Edit: One little tip- You may want to weld a small piece of 1" flat bar on the top and on the bottom, tie-ing together the adapters, where it goes from 3.5 to the 2.5 duals. This point is where you will have the most flex in the system, and tie-ing together the tubes will give it a lot more strength in this area. Just a thought. Nice job on the hangers, too! What kind of tips are you planning on? Simple turn-downs with a slash cut?
Thanks for the great photos!

Last edited:
Yeah its just heat painted so the tig welds wouldn't rust on me. The system is all aluminumized, except for the 3.5" bends which are plain steel.

Before this exhaust i Had ported manifolds, no cats, flowmaster res (dual 2"!!), and a dynomax catback ( 2.5" center section). I ran a 12.7 on that set-up. My mid track times were really low and i think it was because the exhaust was holding me back in the higher RPM ranges.

Now however, it feels like i gained well over 30-40hp. This was just something that my engine needed to breath and take advantage of all the other bolt-ons that i have. Like i said, I can be driving around in 3rd gear, and just lay into the throttle without dumping the clutch or anything, and the car will hang it sideways big time on dry pavement. Must have some nuts when i'm going 55-60mph and it's able to do that. ;)

I'm sure track times are soon to come to show the real improvment. As for gas mileage...who knows....with all the crap i have into this and the way i drive i only seem to get 14 mpg.

Not sure if i'd be able to make another system like this or not. I got to college in the city and just did this in my spare time. It might be a consideration soon, but not right now. I put a lot of time into this and making sure it was perfect, and not one peice hangs down lower that the frame of the car, and the pipes are tucked up higher than the control arm mounting points. Some talk has been going on between a respected member on this site and myself about making a true dual set-up.

Oh i'm sure you guys want a price run-down...well here it is:
Headers $175
Header bolts $40
02 Extenstions $30
Offset bends before the res $40
Resonator $73
3.5" bends $48
Y-collector $48
Mandrel bends $85
Mufflers $157

All prices with shipping.....under $700.

The time i put into this however was a lot.

would this setup be efficient enough for me to run it without headers? I dont need alot of power but I do want my SC to breathe better. I havent done any mods yet but I'll be starting come 3/22 (thats when I get my refund at least that what the website says). I know that I'm getting a CAI and MAF. Like I said, I just want to breathe better, sound better and be more responsive. If I run low 15's forever I wouldnt mind. This is my daily driver and she just needs to be pretty and smooth........ok and maybe a little stealthy for the occasional rice harvest. :rolleyes:

I would have to say that the exhaust system looks really good. I would however wonder how much you are losing because of the 3.5. When you go from a smaller pipe to a larger pipe the inside gasses cool at a rapid rate (this is the same principal that your a/c works on). I would drop to a 3" and test it if you can or maybe change that y pipe a bit for better flow.

I am curious about your other mods though. 55 and sideways is good. My car has such crappy exhaust that it roars till about 1600 and then it sounds like a big exhaust leak and a fart pipe. When the money comes in I am gonna get a set up kinda like that.

Oh yeah. Moving the 02 closer to the head is a smart bet. The 02 works off of heat to get started. The closer you are to the head the faster it heats up. It will also help tune the car better since it has not had a chance to cool down.

Chris

do the sell a kit like that for a 89 sc already bent and everthing that just needs to be welded together? and that sounds good i heard the flowmasters sounds like ***!!!

prices?where do i get it at?

If you wanna know what I think about flowmasters do a search for a post called "Check this crap out or Check out this crap". One or the other shows what happeneed to my flowmasters.

Chris

I chose the 3.5" center pipe because one single 3.5" pipe flows the same as two 2.5" pipes. remember our days from math class....PI*r^2=area. Anyways....logically....why would you want to have two 2.5" squeeze into a single 3" which flows less. This way the dual 2.5's flow into the the larger pipe and its all equal. Believe me, I dont think i gave up any power from what I built.

Chris...I cannot move the 02 sensors any closer to the engine. I'm running long tube headers, and each sensor is in the collector, where it belongs. I cant physically move it any further ahead because it needs to be where all 3 cylinders join.

super89....they don't make a kit like this....hense the reason why i made this from scratch.

Jason, the 3.5" mandrel bends are from Global Tech company. They are 16 guage, 60* x 8.75 center line radius. The rest of the bends are from JC whitney, and hedman.

Last edited:
I understand that you have the long tubes. Since there is no cross section upstream you should weld a bung on one of the tubes for the 02. The only downside to that is the fact that you will only be monitor one port. But from what I understand, unless you have a problem with a single cylinder there is not much of a monitering difference.

I still wanna know your other mods.

Chris

Back