Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Thread: Switching ABS to Conventional.

I'm bumping this because it should be a sticky at this point, or at least in the how to section. Talked to Ralphp and decided to do thunderbird master cylinder. Worked great, brake s work much better now. Paul(masssc) and a neighbor helped with the install, took about 4 hours total.

Having gone through this thread a few times, I know my ABS system has to go.

Going with a 1991 Cougar master cylinder and a regular power booster. Ordered both from Rock Auto, lucky because the booster was on clearance.

We will see how the swap goes, expect pictures in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    Having gone through this thread a few times, I know my ABS system has to go.

Going with a 1991 Cougar master cylinder and a regular power booster. Ordered both from Rock Auto, lucky because the booster was on clearance.

We will see how the swap goes, expect pictures in a couple weeks.
    I did the swap on my last 89 8 or 9 years ago. Its not fun. I broke 3 boosters trying to get it in. Finally got it done. Just try and be patient.

I created a new thread in the Brakes Section of the Forum with a detailed version of my conversion.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...on-Elimination
    Any idiot can make a Mustang fast...
    It takes a special idiot to make a Thunderbird fast!!!
    89 SC 4.3 stroker 384rwhp 473ftlbs
    Best ET 13.085 Best MPH 106.6... got some work to do!
    2016 V6 M90 Dyno Champ 2016 Mod 1 Runner Up

Should I remove the ABS and brakes electrical harness

Hello everybody, I was reading all the post to perform the abs swap for conventional, I really confident about doing it well.

But I want to know if you recommend to remove all the ABS electrical harness, I read that the fog lights are included in the abs harness and I only have to separate them. For now I removed everything as you recommend (original teves ii, wiper motor, etc.) to made easy to fit the new booster next sunday.

please let me know if I should remove the harness, and any other recommendation.

PS, I’m from Mexico so don’t blame for my grammar mistakes lol xD
    Last edited by kaiser; 10-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.

I left all the wiring there...didn't feel like screwing something up because I had to have the car going the next day.

swap completed but..

hello everyone,

I think I have some bad luck I replaced and finished the swap some days ago, and my Brake booster it's bad, when I apply some press on the pedal I got a hissing noise around the pedal, sadly the booster was brand new but I got and imported them from ebay, so I can't return it. The pedal goes soft with the engine running, but the hissing its a signal of a vacuum leak right?

Well, I'll buy one more from the local autozone and change it again, a tedious work to remove almost everything to change it. Can I blame ford a little??

Second, what are the fog lights wiring attached to the ABS harness?, I removed all the wiring from the hood until now.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    hello everyone,

Second, what are the fog lights wiring attached to the ABS harness?, I removed all the wiring from the hood until now.
    its part of the harness that is inside the cabin. It runs from the fog light switch on the center console, under the passenger seat, under the lower door trim, to connectors by the ECU behind the kick panel.

This is covered in the following thread.... http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...on-Elimination
    Any idiot can make a Mustang fast...
    It takes a special idiot to make a Thunderbird fast!!!
    89 SC 4.3 stroker 384rwhp 473ftlbs
    Best ET 13.085 Best MPH 106.6... got some work to do!
    2016 V6 M90 Dyno Champ 2016 Mod 1 Runner Up

Quote Originally Posted by dthompson View Post
    its part of the harness that is inside the cabin.

Thank you Dthompson, I was afraid that they was a part of the harness on the engine bay because I cut it all hahahahahaha xD

Well, I searched a lot, and yes it look that the hissing sound on my pedals when pressed are because the booster its bad :'( I'll change it soon as possible.

Regards!