Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: An SC or Mark VIII rear end????!!!!????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    248

    An SC or Mark VIII rear end????!!!!????

    Hey, I have a 1995 T-bird (auto) V8 LX car. I am currently changing a lot of things in the car, and I have a question about the rear end.

    I have a 1995 Mark VIII LSC with a "posi" or trak-loc rear in it (rear disk as well). I also have a 1994 SC rear with from what I understand should also have a trak-loc or "posi" rear in it (also has disk brakes).

    I want to upgrade the rear in my LX car, but I am wondering what I should expect as far as rear gearing from either the SC or the Mark VIII. Did these cars usually come with a more common gear ratio? and, What is it? Will the Mark rear lend itself to being a direct bolt in? I would figure the SC would have the better performance geared rear end rather than the Mark car, but may be they have the same? Can anyone email me with any input on this and or point me in the right direction? I have not pulled the rears from the cars yet so I can not run the numbers on the tag if there are any. Would the VIN numbers be of any help (I can't imagine they would be).

    My email is mercury267@juno.com

    I know I would like to use the 1 piece alumn. drive shaft from a 1993 Mark VIII, so if anyone has one or knows where to get one, that would be great to hear also.


    Thank you,

    ~Mercy

    The SC and the Mark are being (slowly but surely) parted out, so if you need something cantact me.
    "Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
    - Jesus Christ

    My 95 LX project car

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury267
    Hey, I have a 1995 T-bird (auto) V8 LX car. I am currently changing a lot of things in the car, and I have a question about the rear end.

    I have a 1995 Mark VIII LSC with a "posi" or trak-loc rear in it (rear disk as well). I also have a 1994 SC rear with from what I understand should also have a trak-loc or "posi" rear in it (also has disk brakes).

    I want to upgrade the rear in my LX car, but I am wondering what I should expect as far as rear gearing from either the SC or the Mark VIII. Did these cars usually come with a more common gear ratio? and, What is it? Will the Mark rear lend itself to being a direct bolt in? I would figure the SC would have the better performance geared rear end rather than the Mark car, but may be they have the same? Can anyone email me with any input on this and or point me in the right direction? I have not pulled the rears from the cars yet so I can not run the numbers on the tag if there are any. Would the VIN numbers be of any help (I can't imagine they would be).

    My email is mercury267@juno.com

    I know I would like to use the 1 piece alumn. drive shaft from a 1993 Mark VIII, so if anyone has one or knows where to get one, that would be great to hear also.


    Thank you,

    ~Mercy

    The SC and the Mark are being (slowly but surely) parted out, so if you need something cantact me.
    The '95 Mark VIII LSC had 3.27 rears. Also the Mark rear end is aluminum, while the SC is cast iron.

    All 5 speed SCís and XR7ís came standard with a 2.73:1 ratio ring and pinion
    gear. Most automatic equipped SCís and XR7ís came with 3.27:1 gears.

    Mike Donley

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    nw fl
    Posts
    296
    Are you positive the Mark is a real LSC? Some think that because the warranty card has it printed on it it is.... to include some dealers. Real LSCs were made 95 and 96 came w/ a 3.27 and true dual exhaust as well as perf leather and some other tweaks like no chrome strips on the bumper and side mouldings . Afaik no Mark came stock with Trak Lok. Base models came with 3.08


    http://www.markviii.org/psjs_faqs/09247797.shtml

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    1,057
    being a 94sc it might have a 3.31 there should be a metal tag on it which has the gears unless they have been changed
    Brad Klein
    1 HOT SC
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Palos heights, IL
    Posts
    2,531
    Dont use the 94 sc rear if it came from a auto with traction assist. I dont know why both tires hooked up in both of my 94`s but others have said it to be a open rear end.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Romeoville, IL
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by scbird1
    Dont use the 94 sc rear if it came from a auto with traction assist. I dont know why both tires hooked up in both of my 94`s but others have said it to be a open rear end.
    My brother has 98lsc He was spinning both tires on the street.We put drag radials on the car and you can definitely see it has open rear end-no traction lock, 1 tire completely stoped after couple seconds of burnout
    BTW all mark8's have open rear end

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    248

    94 SC or 95 Mark VIII rear end swap???

    The 1995 Mark VIII IS a true equipt LSC car. I would like to know if it's rear end will bolt into my 95 LV V8 T-bird. I know thw 94 SC will, and it was a 5 speed car so it should have a trac-loc option in the rear. I need to know if the Mark rear will "bolt up". If it is an alumn. housing rear with 3.27 gears, I would rather have that than the lower gear set in the SC rear. Both have trac-loc, I just need to know what would be better in my car.
    "Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
    - Jesus Christ

    My 95 LX project car

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    6,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury267
    The 1995 Mark VIII IS a true equipt LSC car. I would like to know if it's rear end will bolt into my 95 LV V8 T-bird. I know thw 94 SC will, and it was a 5 speed car so it should have a trac-loc option in the rear. I need to know if the Mark rear will "bolt up". If it is an alumn. housing rear with 3.27 gears, I would rather have that than the lower gear set in the SC rear. Both have trac-loc, I just need to know what would be better in my car.
    Yes both diffs will bolt right into you car. The Mark VIII diff is better because it is made out of aluminum.

    Shane

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    248

    SC vs. Mark VIII rear end???!!!???

    thank you everone for your reply. I saw in the above post where an LSC turned both tires, but cut out to one wheel after a second. I did a little burn out in the drive way to see if the LSC was a trac-loc rear. I figured it was because I got both tires to spin, but I didn't exactly "light it up". So you guys are saying the LSC is probably an open rear. The original owner did not make any changes or upgrades to the car at all... ever. So now I am figuring the rear is an open rear w/ alumn. housing, and 3.27 gears. The SC rear (from a 5 speed car) is probably a 2.73 geared trac-loc steel rear end. I believe this to be the info that you guys replied with. Someone said the SC could be a 3.31 gear... even if it is a 5 speed? I will try to check the numbers on the rear tag in the SC. If the SC has a 3.31 gearing would it be possible to remove both rears, and put the SC gears and trac'loc set up in the alumn. housing from the Mark VIII. Is it worth it? I just want to make sure that I put the better of the two rears in my car. Any last thoughts anyone?


    Thanks again.
    "Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
    - Jesus Christ

    My 95 LX project car

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury267
    thank you everone for your reply. I saw in the above post where an LSC turned both tires, but cut out to one wheel after a second. I did a little burn out in the drive way to see if the LSC was a trac-loc rear. I figured it was because I got both tires to spin, but I didn't exactly "light it up". So you guys are saying the LSC is probably an open rear. The original owner did not make any changes or upgrades to the car at all... ever. So now I am figuring the rear is an open rear w/ alumn. housing, and 3.27 gears. The SC rear (from a 5 speed car) is probably a 2.73 geared trac-loc steel rear end. I believe this to be the info that you guys replied with. Someone said the SC could be a 3.31 gear... even if it is a 5 speed? I will try to check the numbers on the rear tag in the SC. If the SC has a 3.31 gearing would it be possible to remove both rears, and put the SC gears and trac'loc set up in the alumn. housing from the Mark VIII. Is it worth it? I just want to make sure that I put the better of the two rears in my car. Any last thoughts anyone?



    Thanks again.
    no if its a 5 speed its a 2.73 the autos had the 3.31's
    Brad Klein
    1 HOT SC
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    nw fl
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Klein
    being a 94sc it might have a 3.31 there should be a metal tag on it which has the gears unless they have been changed

    If they haven't changed just check the tags like Brad said...The tags are coded - a 3.27 Trak Loc will have 3L27 on it. A 2.73 open will just say 2 73 (I think the space is there...)

    Another way to tell if it's a Tlok or not is to get both wheels off the ground and spin one. If the other spins in the same direction it's a Tlok. If it turns in the other direction it's an open. You can tell the ratio this way too by measuring the number of times the driveshaft rotates compared to the number of tire rotations.

Similar Threads

  1. Mark VIII Brakes, Suspension, Driveshaft
    By Thomas A in forum Parts for Sale
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 07:28 AM
  2. Rear stabilizer bar end links
    By dms825 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 06:32 AM
  3. Rear End Problems need suggestions
    By Shifty in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM
  4. Since May 1st....
    By 89SCK@t in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 01:51 PM
  5. Installing rear end question
    By kenewagner in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •