sunroof mysteriously exploded!

ben04

with much drama, driving down the highway at about 140-150 km/h the sunroof just exploded. loud bang, glass shattered all over on the sunroof, weird thing is that it was pointed outward. the highway i was on is situated right between two golf courses so my first thought was hit by a golfball, but then looking at the broek glass in the shape of a pyramid pointing outwards, didn't see how that was possible. in any event, im gonna have to find a replacement, insurance will hopefully cover this mysterious event, but from what i hear the part is hard to find (sunroof seal)...

I bought a complete moonroof assembly minus the motor for 20 bucks from a U-Pull-It yard around here. The sunroof glass is pretty common in wrecking yards.

ben04 said:
with much drama, driving down the highway at about 140-150 km/h the sunroof just exploded. loud bang, glass shattered all over on the sunroof, weird thing is that it was pointed outward. the highway i was on is situated right between two golf courses so my first thought was hit by a golfball, but then looking at the broek glass in the shape of a pyramid pointing outwards, didn't see how that was possible. in any event, im gonna have to find a replacement, insurance will hopefully cover this mysterious event, but from what i hear the part is hard to find (sunroof seal)...

I can believe you got hit with a golf ball. When your driving along you actually have a low pressure zone above the moon roof cause of the air being pushed up and over from the wind screen. That low pressure zone would be even greater when your speeding down the highway at your speeds.

Just a thought

Frit

fturner said:
I can believe you got hit with a golf ball. When your driving along you actually have a low pressure zone above the moon roof cause of the air being pushed up and over from the wind screen. That low pressure zone would be even greater when your speeding down the highway at your speeds.

Just a thought

Frit

good thinking with the air pressure, but how about the fact that there was low pressure on top of the glass and relatively high pressure under the glass (in the car). and if the glass was cracked already (even just slightly) it could have broken apart. i dont know, just my theory.

matteo said:
good thinking with the air pressure, but how about the fact that there was low pressure on top of the glass and relatively high pressure under the glass (in the car). and if the glass was cracked already (even just slightly) it could have broken apart. i dont know, just my theory.

:D Good theory, but with the pressure difference we're talking about it would have to be a big crack.........

talk about TSI - Thunderbird Solution Investigators

:rolleyes:

Frit

matteo said:

Umm....the sunroof and all windows (except for the windshield) are tempered and therefore can't crack. It's either they are intact or they're broken into a million little pieces.

Brandon said:
Umm....the sunroof and all windows (except for the windshield) are tempered and therefore can't crack. It's either they are intact or they're broken into a million little pieces.

oh ya it shattered into a million pieces , it was in tact in a millino pieces, but the middle was in a peak shape so the air picked up the back part of the crack and tore it off....sending huge chunks out to destroy my paint. i think it was that pressure theory, as i was beside a dumptruck which was givin off mad turbulance and what not. anyway....shes hurt and needs repairs. :(

ben04 said:
oh ya it shattered into a million pieces , it was in tact in a millino pieces, but the middle was in a peak shape so the air picked up the back part of the crack and tore it off....sending huge chunks out to destroy my paint. i think it was that pressure theory, as i was beside a dumptruck which was givin off mad turbulance and what not. anyway....shes hurt and needs repairs. :(

The seal is easy to find, and just a bit more difficult to install. Look in the FAQ forum...I just updated the information on the moonroof seal price...

Back