Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I play too?

Can I play too?

Hey guys, I don't know if there are any other gals on these forums but I wanna play too! I just got my 35th anniv. TBird supercoupe 2 weeks ago and I am sooo happy! I actually had one about 8 yrs ago but had to sell it for financial reasons and I've regretted it ever since. I had been looking for another one and was so happy to find this one -- its gorgeous! I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how!

So any suggestions for where to start to make it better? It runs good but I see all these mods everyone is doing and I'm jealous (and don't know much about cars!) I have a good mechanic though so tell me where to start!

Looking forward to getting to know other supercoupe enthusiasts out there!

Welcome!!

There are other women on the boards. I suggest you look up the SCCOO (Super Coupe Club of Ontario). They are a large group of guys and gals that just have SC's.

I suggest that you start pro-active and do exhaust first since it helps these cars breathe better. Other options are cold air intakes, pulleys, etc.

Use the boards search function (on the tool bar) to search for items you have questions on.

Welcome!!!!

Don

The guys and Gals at the SCCoOntario are always more than willing to help. I am not a S/C owner(have a 4.6), but the knowledge I have obtained from this club has been invaluable, albiet expensive. They do like spending your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just visit the board and see how friendly they are. And welcome(again) to the wonderful world of the S/C.

will you marry me?

Quote Originally Posted by matteo
    will you marry me?
    Hmmm... depends... do you know anything about working on cars??

Just My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by TBirdLady
    Hmmm... depends... do you know anything about working on cars??
    Congratulations on getting another SC! Have fun with it and take care of it. If you make modifications, keep the original parts, along with photos of how it looked originally.

My opinion is that these cars will begin appreciating in the coming years, and it'll pay to be able to put the car back to original condition. My experience with 60's muscle cars has shown this to be fact.

From what I've seen, three things are common with any car that appreciates in value. They are: 1) Attractive, 2) High Performance, or 3) Limited Production. The Super Coupes hit all 3 points.

Just my opinion, but I've started seeing interest in all-original cars pick up already, and values follow.

JD

keep the original parts -- like if I make cosmetic modifications you mean, right? I can't see keeping mechanical parts if I'm replacing/upgrading... or should I if they're still functional?

The original radio/cd player is in the trunk -- I guess I should keep that then ??

Keep It All

keep the original parts -- like if I make cosmetic modifications you mean, right? I can't see keeping mechanical parts if I'm replacing/upgrading... or should I if they're still functional?

The original radio/cd player is in the trunk -- I guess I should keep that then ??
    I'd go ahead and keep EVERYTHING that's pulled off the car; especially the mechanical parts. Even ones that are broken/worn out. These parts are date-coded to your car, and can be expensive and hard to get in the future. They may come in handy for visual reference some day. It doesn't have to be a big deal; just get a box, and as you replace parts due to wear or upgrades, just place them in the box and forget about them. This MAY pay off in the future.

I just replaced the starter relay on my 40K mile '89SC, and kept the original. I have a peg board in my shop where I hang the parts after I clean them up. It's also a good and quick visual reference for what I've done to the car; just look at the board and see what's hanging.

Some people may think I'm a little CRAZY for doing this, but as I said, it costs nothing, and is very low effort for the potential benefit.

JD

Smile

Ok, now all I gotta do is find some kind soul who can store my boxes of broken parts because I have relatively little storage space where I am and I plan to do a lot of fixing up on this car. Want to volunteer??

Thumbs up

Ok, now all I gotta do is find some kind soul who can store my boxes of broken parts because I have relatively little storage space where I am and I plan to do a lot of fixing up on this car. Want to volunteer??
    Hey, welcome! great looking bird...looks just like mine! is it manual or auto? mileage? where abouts in Vancouver are you? i'm in Port Moody...don't see too many SC's around, let alone a 35th

Nice looking 35th TBirdLady. Welcome back to the SC.
    SCCoA Member # 490 since 1997
    1995 SC (five speed) 12.8913@105.86
    Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) 13.4829@100.23mph
    Best 60' 1.8539 On a stock long block with bolt on's
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...ge_view&id=638

Quote Originally Posted by pomo35th
    Hey, welcome! great looking bird...looks just like mine! is it manual or auto? mileage? where abouts in Vancouver are you? i'm in Port Moody...don't see too many SC's around, let alone a 35th
    Hi Pete,
    Hey cool another 35th! I'm in North Burnaby -- close to Lougheed Mall. My car is a 5 speed, and the mileage is 159,000 or thereabouts. How long have you had yours? Details details!

Okay

You pay the shipping and I'll store the parts.

JD

Hi Pete,
    Hey cool another 35th! I'm in North Burnaby -- close to Lougheed Mall. My car is a 5 speed, and the mileage is 159,000 or thereabouts. How long have you had yours? Details details!

Cool! only 15 mins away lol! Mine is a 5 speed as well. 169,000kms (105,000miles). I've had it for nearly 3 years now, but i only just recently discovered this site and gotten hooked on learning everything i can about the car. its completely stock at the moment but that will change ASAP. unfortunatly, i think the bird is gonna spend most of the summer in the garage, as i need to do some maintenance and don't have any cash at the moment. looks like you've got a great find though...your bumpers are nice and straight and the paint looks good. I'm jealous!

Heh, hate to ask why YOUR bumpers aren't straight!!

Does yours have a keyless entry -- like with the keypad on the door that you enter the numbers to unlock it? I'm wondering if it could have been the one that I sold about 8 years ago -- did you buy it from a guy in South Surrey perhaps? Wish I could remember the door code to see if its the same car

Have you also checked out the Supercoupe club of Western Canada? There are a bunch of local (lower mainland) guys there, and some from Calgary too.