Can I play too?

TBirdLady said:
No, I can see your point of view too JD. I want to keep mine close to original but make improvements. I'm not interested in having a real flashy car because I think it looks good the way it is. I am still undecided though on whether I'll drive it all the time or just have it for show. I've had it a couple of weeks now and have only been driving it on the weekends, but I won't take it to work. I need to be able to enjoy it other than just seeing it sitting the driveway you know? One thing I know for sure is that I'm keeping it for the long haul too -- this isn't just a whim or a toy until I get tired of it. So I will do as you suggest and keep the parts, working or not. Guess it doesn't hurt to have 2 boxes -- one for broken and one for working.

Thanks for the input :)
Donna

Sounds like you're planning for the best of both worlds! The important thing is to drive and enjoy your car. They don't do anyone any good just sitting around. Mine won't be mothballed; just driven occasionally. We're blessed here with great weather year 'round, so I have the opportunity to pull mine out and run it pretty much anytime I feel like it. Good luck with your car; you're definately in the right place for good information, parts, support, etc.

Best Regards,

JD

hmm I just give it all away , have many parts blue interior 5 spd stuff consol and stuff dash most is going in trash, Ive had so many sc,s this yr 7 and parted out so many I dont see any reason to keep bad parts ,

now if you have crank balancers send em to me i rebuild them, in my spare time, the sc is not collectable thus far but in times to come maybe a little ,

the saving of stuff is cool someday a sc leaking radiator may be worth something to a restoration but for most its just junk.

we will never acheive hemi cuda collectability.

so keeping bad parts for future is not needed most parts from tbird will work on sc .

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always thought that because its a 35th Anniversary Edition its more likely to become a collectible (if its not already) than a regular Tbird or SC.

maybe a little more than a reg sc ,

they did have that silver at the bottom of the body and 35th emblems and painted wheels seat covers and floor matts , to bad they didnt have more power or optional v8 would have been a more collectable car ,

or maybe some custom wheels the black painted sc wheels didnt have enuff of a visual effect maybe chrome or some 17s would have set it off great.

but alsas we are still talking about a car that in top shape still only gets $3000-$3500 the sc has sliped quietly into a hole and not many remember them . if cars had gotten slower they would be a real collectable but they have gotten faster and the once proud 210 hp SC is now looked apon like a 77 z28 not enuff for todays standards. :confused:

mannysc said:
hmm I just give it all away , have many parts blue interior 5 spd stuff consol and stuff dash most is going in trash, Ive had so many sc,s this yr 7 and parted out so many I dont see any reason to keep bad parts ,

now if you have crank balancers send em to me i rebuild them, in my spare time, the sc is not collectable thus far but in times to come maybe a little ,

the saving of stuff is cool someday a sc leaking radiator may be worth something to a restoration but for most its just junk.

we will never acheive hemi cuda collectability.

so keeping bad parts for future is not needed most parts from tbird will work on sc .

Yeah, I remember when Hemi Cuda's weren't worth anything either. I bought a Hemi car in the past for for a few hundred dollars; try that now. I own a few Mopar muscle cars, and have been in it since the late '70's. I used to catch hell for keeping my one-owner, original paint, unrestored '67 R/T correct. I still have it, and I'm glad I did. I only paid $1,500 for it "back in the day". It was never going to be worth anything either.

I'm not saying that SC's will reach 6-figures, but YOU NEVER KNOW. One thing's for sure, they'll be worth more than they are now. I'm not suggesting these cars be kept in climate controlled bags and never driven; just be aware of the future collectibility. The nicer ones should be kept nice. The ones that are being "hot rodded" are actually going to make mine worth more in the future!

DON'T keep random, broken, old SC parts; just the ones that are specific to YOUR (good) car. Keeping parts off a junker is a waste of time unless they're nice for use on another car.

By the way, a leaky radiator for old big block muscle cars are rare as gold now. Used to be junk; now worth fixing at almost any cost. Do what you want, I'm keeping my original parts.

In 15 years, people will be looking at my SC at a car show somewhere, and saying "Yeah, I remember having one of these, but I wrecked it/parted out/sold it/etc., etc., etc.

Just my position; everyone do their own thing, and enjoy their cars!!

JD

mannysc said:
or maybe some custom wheels the black painted sc wheels didnt have enuff of a visual effect maybe chrome or some 17s would have set it off great.

I guess everybody's entitled to their own opinion -- I happen to think the black wheels are part of what sets off the 35th. Chrome wheels look nice on all-black cars but not on the 35th. Remember too that what looks flashy and may be in style for show cars today may be out of style in 5 or 10 years. Classic example -- remember the "wave" or "swoosh" graphics that everybody was getting put on the side of their vehicles 10 years ago? They look ridiculous now!!

I think a lot of the "bling" that is really popular right now on vehicles is going to fade out soon -- its just too flashy to last. Just my humble opnion of course :)

Sorry I'm a little late in the game to post, but welcome to the club. As a fellow 35th owner, I felt rather obligated. My list of mods is quite minimal compared to some, but I'mn doing it out of personal gratification rather than the ultimate powerhouse.
Just out of curiosity, what are your goals as far as gains in handling/performance? I ask this to get a reference as to the optimal starting point to suit you.
If you wish, go to the members page, scroll to 35th Anniversary, and look up Erin Fogerty, click on my name. You will find that I have done some work under my hood with the help of Bill Evenoff, and numeroud members of the Super Coupe Club of Wasington. Being that you are in Vancouver, I'm pretty sure you will be a welcome addition. Just log onto sccow.com to see if it would interest you.

Last edited:
i still predict they become a limited collectable car like a 1980 turbo firebird,

at the time great car but got lost in the rush of irocs and 5.0 mustangs or the way the 1987 iroc camaro is remembered nobody has them exept some illegals driving them around with three different sized used tires and in bad need of paint ,

smoking like they use a quart of oil a day, this was once a proud car , tuned port 350 damn car to have now who cares .

this is also the future of our beloved sc,s I may be wrong but in so calif were i see ten a day most ready to be crushed i dont see a bright future, sure if you have the last one on earth it may be worth something

just like the only 78 volari station wagon is worht something but to who and why? it was the car to have in its day everyone had one now they are all gone and nobody even thinks of them.

mannysc said:
i still predict they become a limited collectable car like a 1980 turbo firebird,

at the time great car but got lost in the rush of irocs and 5.0 mustangs or the way the 1987 iroc camaro is remembered nobody has them exept some illegals driving them around with three different sized used tires and in bad need of paint ,

smoking like they use a quart of oil a day, this was once a proud car , tuned port 350 damn car to have now who cares .

this is also the future of our beloved sc,s I may be wrong but in so calif were i see ten a day most ready to be crushed i dont see a bright future, sure if you have the last one on earth it may be worth something

just like the only 78 volari station wagon is worht something but to who and why? it was the car to have in its day everyone had one now they are all gone and nobody even thinks of them.

Well, I guess only time will tell. But I do feel that our SC's are SUBSTANTIALLY than a rattly old GM F-body or a rusty Volare wagon! And with the "THUNDERBIRD" mystique attached to these cars, they'll never be "forgotton". Heck, some people are even collecting the '70's and early '80's 'Birds. Go look at the Thunderbird Registry on line, and you'll see that a lot of people are interested in these cars, from '55 thru '05; and quite a number for the SC years.

The main thing is for everyone to enjoy their cars. There's room in the hobby for wildly modded cars, assembly-plant original cars, and everything in between. I'd still rather see a ratty SC on the street than a shiny Camaro!

Cheers!

JD

I'd still rather see a ratty SC on the street than a shiny Camaro!

Cheers!

JD[/QUOTE]

CHEERS!!! Around the Island, I'm one of three SC's. At times, I feel this fact sucks as I see LX's like they're on a dime-a-dozen sale. At the same time when I roast a ricer that thinks I'm driving a cheep LX, that fact is a nice warm blanket. :D
(I relly need to get a license plate frame that says "Here ricer, ricer, ricer, It's time to get burnt"

over_charged SC said:
Just out of curiosity, what are your goals as far as gains in handling/performance? I ask this to get a reference as to the optimal starting point to suit you.

Sorry I missed this one -- as far as what my goals for gains in handling and performance are, the first thing I want to do is get the car running smoothly, which I think its almost up to now. When I got the car it had been, in my opinion, sadly neglected as far as mechanical maintenance and was running pretty rough. I've put about $1000 into it in the past month on just routine maintenance -- the biggest chunk of that being replacing all 4 brakes, including rotors.

I guess the next objective is to boost the power -- I'm told that things like opening up the exhaust, putting different pulleys and removing the air silencer are the first steps. Porting the heads? Sounds like a big job but that may be in the future plans too. The kicker is that once you've got all this power just what the heck do you do with it?? I get paranoid when I get to 120 kmh that I'm gonna see red lights flashing in the mirror.

I'm also working on cosmetic improvements -- there are places where there are some deep scratches that are going to need to be painted, a gouge from a rock, and some "scuffs" on the bumper that bother me. I'm not sure if its worth it to do a complete repaint or get a professional to do spot touchups. I've had the pinstriping added back on and I'd also like to put some better looking tires on it although because of cost the tires will probably be next year's project.

So I don't know if that answers the question but hey you asked :)

TBirdLady said:
I guess the next objective is to boost the power -- I'm told that things like opening up the exhaust, putting different pulleys and removing the air silencer are the first steps. Porting the heads? Sounds like a big job but that may be in the future plans too. The kicker is that once you've got all this power just what the heck do you do with it?? I get paranoid when I get to 120 kmh that I'm gonna see red lights flashing in the mirror.
:)

well i dunno if ur into it but dragstrips are always fun. But yeah I understand the thing about on the street, those lights are never fun to see :(

Options for power

Alright, now that I know your goals, I can get started on the advice. I stuggest starting with the exhaust. If you are looking for over 280 hp at the wheels, go ahead and get the headers as well. SCP has some decent cat-backs. After that, picking up a 190LPH Fuel pump would be on the menu. The following is a list of what I've done, take from it what you want.
Magnum Powers Cold air divider,
SCP Classic Big Bore SC Top
SCP "S" Model Blower
5% Blower Pulley
9" K&N Cone Air Filter
76mm MAFS
3" Fresh Air Intake Tube
75mm Throttle Body
MP Inlet Plenum
38# Fuel Injectors
Underdrive Pulley Set

The above list should get over 300 hp easily. This is unverified as I'm still in the middle of installation. However, talk to Bill Evenoff of Super Coupe Performance, and Charles Warner of Magnum Powers. Those two will point you in the direction you want, but keep an eye on your bill-fold. Things you don't NEED to do, but are definate power boosters are to port the heads, and balance the engine, lifters

over_charged SC said:
CHEERS!!! Around the Island, I'm one of three SC's. At times, I feel this fact sucks as I see LX's like they're on a dime-a-dozen sale. At the same time when I roast a ricer that thinks I'm driving a cheep LX, that fact is a nice warm blanket. :D
(I relly need to get a license plate frame that says "Here ricer, ricer, ricer, It's time to get burnt"
Over in Birch Bay (2 minutes south of Blaine), I'm also 1 of 3, maybe 4?. About 15 Lx's around and a lot of rice. Er, actually, honda's with thrush(sp?) mufflers. =/
I was thinking of getting a custom plate "ANTIRYC". Don't steal my plate idea! :D

I had one kid in an older prelude ask if I wanted to race, as he taunted me a couple times with his little 4 banger. I said and quote "200hp vs less than 2 Liters of pop but, ok!".

Needless to say, it took about 30 seconds for his headlights to disappear into the night on I-5. I've seen him cruising a few times but, he won't talk to me anymore, rofl. And all I got is a rebuilt tranny and engine (about 10k miles now) with no silencer. lol.

Ricer Killing is FUN

I gotta admit, showing people that American Muscle still means something is quite a thrill. From my fast reaction to the raw power of a Supercharged motor, and well tredded tires that stick to the road under the tourque, it's an awe inspiring act. The only problem I have had is the fact that not a single ricer that came before me to race has managed to so much as keep up. Even while stock, I beat up a 5.0 Mustang. I am in dire need of some real competition. :D

Oh, no worries of me stealing your plate idea, I'll stick to my frame.

Back