Summit results from 4/9, good day at the track.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Well, I had a pretty good day at the track today. My r/t's were a bit off but at least I didn't redlight. My latest mod which stiffened the chassis in the back seemed to work and my launches improved dramatically with the added traction. My 1st time trial against a 402 '67 Camaro pretty much set the tone for the day. He redlit on 13.004 and I outran him with a 12.897 at 107.11. Since I can't dial in below 13.00 I backed down my shift light by 100 rpm for my next time trial against a 440 '69 Dodge Charger. The engine was newly rebuilt and he ran it at 3/4 throttle running just a 15.50 against my 13.021 @ 107.92. I kept the shift light right there for the rest of the day and dialed the 13.0 minimum.
My 1st elimination run was against a red 03 TransAm 380 hp Blackbird who also dialed a 13.0. The driver's a really great guy and the car runs super. It was a dead even run between us. My only thought was to get a good r/t, push him hard and make him breakout which he did with a 12.955 @, get this, 110.51 mph. I in turn backed out of it just short of the line and ran a dead on 13.002. He had me by .02 off the line so I guess this was a hole shot.
My 2nd elimination was against a '99 Durango running a 16.084. With a 3 sec head start he red lit so I worked on my launch, backed off at the 1/8 mi mark, and still ran a 13.195 to get the win and 10 more points. Unfortunately for John it put him out for the day.
Next up was, can you believe, a 1957 Ford. It was driven by a Vietnam Vet about my age and we really enjoyed hearing about each other's cars. This Fairlane 2 door wasn't a show car or anything but it was in great shape and had a .050 over 390 in it. It's been in storage for 3 years and his 14.50 dial showed it but still he broke out with a 14.491. In the meantime my lousy .341 r/t beat his .795 and I caught him just past the 1/8 mi mark and just putted along in front of him running a 13.262 to get another win.
On my last run for the day I ran the 429 64 Econoline P/U. This thing honks on pretty good and he dialed a 13.08. Again with the .300+ r/t and my 13.086 wasn't quite good enough to beat him. Oddly enough he ran a 13.262 exactly like I had run the time before.
So I got a few wins and picked up 50 points to get me back in contention. Next week is Fun Ford Weekend and then we're off until May 21 while the Southern Nationals are in town.

I'm thinking I'll stay in Street Ford. I've thought of running True Street for the 13 sec bracket but not sure if I want to. Without cooling down the IC between the 3 rounds I'd probably run mid 13's which isn't quick enough to win the bracket. Maybe next year. I can run 12's in Street Ford and it cost less to run in it. Also, I'm only going to run Sat and not on Sun.

Mike Puckett said:
Well, I had a pretty good day at the track today. My r/t's were a bit off but at least I didn't redlight. My latest mod which stiffened the chassis in the back seemed to work and my launches improved dramatically with the added traction.

Hey Mike, what did you do for the chassis stiffening?

cheers
Ed N.

Back