Coolant pouring out of new engine

92superJRK

Hey guys:

My pockets and patience are both worn thin. I just got my car back from my Ford dealer who installed a reman. long block for me. (I had a cracked block) It seemed to drive amazingly during the 2 mile journey back to my house. As soon as I pulled it into my driveway and turned it off, coolant started pouring out from underneath the block. Rest assured this biotch is going right back to the dealer in the morning, but I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be and if it would be wise to drive it back to the dealer, or just have them tow it. I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,
John

Without a doubt........

Tow the bitch!!!!!!!!! I would call Ford and have them tow it. Tell them that the car is leaking coolant bad. Unless it's a coolant hose, they have no choice but to tow it.

The leak could be a hose to heater core, freeze out plug, should I go on..........

Could be many things.

I suggest that you call Ford ASAP and get it fixed. Driving it could VOID your warranty.

Don

Wow

That is just the dealers way of letting you know they still dont respect the
MN12's and a couple of Scared Mechanics that are afraid if "BIG PIPES" intercooler and that damn supercharger...lol so they figured they could handle big things so a little coolant job to make sure they secured the hoses wasnt even in their brain, (so many hoses) i guess they just got jealous :p :p :p

Either a coolant hose, or maybe a freeze plug popped. Check the radiator, and if it's low, don't even bother trying to fill it up and drive it back. They should be willing to tow it, or if you have AAA, just have it towed to them.

started to drive back...

I called ford and they told me to fill up the coolant resevoir and drive it over since I'm only a mile away. I hate those jerks. I started it up this morning and let it sit for five minutes to see what was going on and coolant vapor started coming through the top of the dash board as well as continual leakage onto the street from underneath the block. So.. the keys came out and I made Ford tow it. Even if it is under a mile, I wasn't going to risk it. Seven hours later, I have yet to get a call about it. I'll keep yall posted.
Thanks for the replies,
John

Do you think nt was comming out of the heater box drain???

Mine did this, the heater core tubes started leaking where they were welded to the core, and I had to cheat the heater... It is still cheated... Cold morning were a PITA!!!

How much did you pay for this? Couldnt find a shop that installed remans or rebuilds?

I also hate my local FOrd dealer, sucks when i have to go there. Last time I took a ranger for a check engine light and they said they had a recall for wiper control that they would fix for free.....

I get it back and one week later the turns signals stop working..... I open up the column and they had broken the harness plug for the turn signals...... I call them up and they are like ahhhh prove that we broke it.....that dealer is 2 miles, the closest Honest dealer is like 30 miles.....

results

Alright, finally got the car back at 7pm. Apparently, there was a hole or crack in one of the hoses going into the heater core. Now, that seems to be fixed. However, when I pulled into my driveway, there now appears to be a slight coolant leak coming out from underneath my radiator. The leak is minimal, but after dropping 4 g's on this whole project, which included a new clutch, I shouldn't see a drop of anything coming out of this thing.

OH, and I almost forgot.... There is now a mysterious clicking noise that seems to be around the right side of the engine. Also, it doesn't seem to be related to any of the pulleys or the actual supercharger. Could this simply be a "breaking in" sound, or am I just ridiculous?

~John
PS - Try to avoid Holman Ford of Turnersville, NJ

paulford8 said:
How much did you pay for this? Couldnt find a shop that installed remans or rebuilds?

It was just over 4 grand with a new clutch as well. I called around to various places, but most were not willing to work on this car as soon as I mentioned the two letters S and C. A few other places, who would put Jasper engines in, quoted me around 6 grand. I wasn't really crazy about putting a Jasper engine in anyway, as I haven't heard good things.

Bottom line: It could've been worse, but I still got ripped off and Ford was smiling all the way. But.....I justify it with the love affair I have with the car!

Well I hope she runs long and hard for you!!!!!!

Mine has high miles, if she starts to die I my try and install a reman or rebuild it myself.... newest thing I have pulled an engine in is a 91 bronco and my SC looks like it would be much more difficult....

But from what is sounds like it costs....

I am just afraid I would never get her going again....

As far as the coolant dripping under your radiator, I would bet it's just runoff from your leak. This engine has all kinds of nooks and krannies that hold coolant and oil forever. just keep an eye on the level. also check all of your vac and coolant hoses to make sure they're tight. some lazy mechanic may have left something loose that was hard to get to. :rolleyes:

NJTBIRD89 said:
That is just the dealers way of letting you know they still dont respect the
MN12's and a couple of Scared Mechanics that are afraid if "BIG PIPES" intercooler and that damn supercharger...lol so they figured they could handle big things so a little coolant job to make sure they secured the hoses wasnt even in their brain, (so many hoses) i guess they just got jealous :p :p :p

What NJTBIRD89 said. :eek: They are clueless on our cars. :D

paulford8 said:
How much did you pay for this? Couldnt find a shop that installed remans or rebuilds? QUOTE]

In January of 2003 , I had a shop in Yorktown, Virginia replace my 1990SC motor with a ford reman longblock for $3600.00 . The shop was a performance auto shop which mainly worked on Mustangs, but they've also worked on alot of V8 T-birds and cougars so they were somewhat familiar with my SC. They did a very good job with the installation. You should find a performance shop near you, they are more comfortable with removing and rebuilding engine blocks than a ford dealer. Good luck..

Brando

Our local performance shop has closed and I never did hear the reason...... My car has an anderson ford sticker, that is a central IL dealer that is also a speed shop, they have dyno and everything, prob with them is if your not drag racing pro 5.0 and running 9 sec 1/4s they are jerks to you........

There is a machine shop here that builds and installs performance engines, I may talk to them sometime. I heard they are affordable but dont if they worked on cars like ours....

This might be the sorce of your click. Take the oil dipstick out and start the car. If the click is gone it is hitting the crank and you need to be bend it in a little but never try to insert the dipstick while the engine is running. Hope thats all it is.

scbird1 said:
This might be the sorce of your click. Take the oil dipstick out and start the car. If the click is gone it is hitting the crank and you need to be bend it in a little but never try to insert the dipstick while the engine is running. Hope thats all it is.

Yes! I did notice that before, but didn't realize something as stupid as the dipstick could be making that noise. Do I bend the dipstick itself or the dipstick housing?
It's amazing how you guys can diagnose this stuff from not even seeing or hearing the car, and yet the Ford dealer kept scratching their head in confusion!
Thanks,
John

To often the tube is bolted back to the wrong bolt on the exhaust manifold.
I bent the tube and all just a little in toward the engine and wah lah, no more click. Glad to see you got things worked out. Mark

Eureka!

scbird1 said:
To often the tube is bolted back to the wrong bolt on the exhaust manifold.
I bent the tube and all just a little in toward the engine and wah lah, no more click. Glad to see you got things worked out. Mark
Mark,
Thanks a bunch, it worked like a charm! To hell with Ford dealer mechanics!

Back