View Poll Results: Ash tray cover, broken or not?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • broken

26 19.70%
  • not

106 80.30%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ash tray cover, broken or not?

My ash tray cover may not be broken but the cover broke off on the monitor where it says your oil level and stuff

I should be able to vote twice, both my bird and cat have that same broken spot on the ash tray, its just that it doens't slide over the tray properly anymore. I think the spring came out and a peice of plastic broke.

Nope

None of my 3 cars are broken, or look like they're trending that way. We bought a '90LX new, and drove it for 12 years - never a problem with that one either. But then again we don't smoke, so they've all had light duty. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that many broken ones in salvage yard cars - I've passed by dozens of them. But, I've put an NOS lid on the shelf just in case...

JD

2 89's and 1 90' XR7 none broken.

Kurt

I just got a 92 and the ash tray lid looked broken. After I removed the top of the consol, I found it was not broken but simply fell out of its mount. I took a close look at my 90 parts car (never an ash tray issue) and discovered the problem. The 92 is plastic and the two arms don't have enough tension to hold in the mounts. The 90 is cast and won't bend. Swapped in the 90 lid and have never had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by BC90SC View Post
    I just got a 92 and the ash tray lid looked broken. After I removed the top of the consol, I found it was not broken but simply fell out of its mount. I took a close look at my 90 parts car (never an ash tray issue) and discovered the problem. The 92 is plastic and the two arms don't have enough tension to hold in the mounts. The 90 is cast and won't bend. Swapped in the 90 lid and have never had a problem since.
    The 90 is not really cast. It's some kind of plastic that seems to have some metal in it. It's not magnetic, and it's not aluminum but it is stiffer. If your plastic got super hot, perhaps it could fatigue. I've never seen one that was broken in the 3 sc's I've had.

89 is fine but my 95 lx broke