Ash tray cover, broken or not?

• broken

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • not

Votes: 103 79.8%

• Total voters
matteo said:
Actually, this is SUCH a common problem accross the entire FORD line, that a few years ago MustangMonthly did a whole Tech Article on how to FIX the ash tray cover for good. There is even a company that manufactures a spring and pin you replace the broken one with. If anyone is interested, I'll find the article and scan it in or something. ;)

ThunderTurkey said:
Actually, this is SUCH a common problem accross the entire FORD line, that a few years ago MustangMonthly did a whole Tech Article on how to FIX the ash tray cover for good. There is even a company that manufactures a spring and pin you replace the broken one with. If anyone is interested, I'll find the article and scan it in or something. ;)
thats funny. hey, did you ever get your car fixed up?

matteo said:
thats funny. hey, did you ever get your car fixed up?
Not yet ... Allstate is cutting me a check right now, so I am debating weather to drive it REAL SCARY LOOKING :eek: , fix it up ;) , or buy a SuperCoupe :D I dunno ... there is NOTHING for sale near here :(

matteo said:
do it! i might be able to hook you up with someone who is selling a SC if you want.
Sure .... I am in the Classifieds pretty much 24 x 7 looking ...... hey, didja see the SC in California for $500 on eBay? Beautiful RED car!! :)

ThunderTurkey said:
Sure .... I am in the Classifieds pretty much 24 x 7 looking ...... hey, didja see the SC in California for $500 on eBay? Beautiful RED car!! :)
turns out i cant get a hold of that guy with the SC anymore. but i think it would be worth a trip to cali for it if its in good shape. you should go for it.

I just realized digging thru the bone yard that some of the ashtray lids are plastic and some are cast metal.... :confused:

Sweet90SC said:
I just realized digging thru the bone yard that some of the ashtray lids are plastic and some are cast metal.... :confused:

The one on my car is cast metal, mine broke on the console part but i got it rigged up so its like new, i just took a small bolt put it through the lid and took a nut and super glued it to the console. Works like new, never even know it was broke unless you took the console lid off and looked at it.

matteo said:
i don't think mine is broken......it doesn't feel like there is a pring or nothing, but it doesn't pop open or fall closed on it's own as far as i can remmeber...but of course i don't smoke so i never use it anyway....

My ash tray cover may not be broken but the cover broke off on the monitor where it says your oil level and stuff

I should be able to vote twice, both my bird and cat have that same broken spot on the ash tray, its just that it doens't slide over the tray properly anymore. I think the spring came out and a peice of plastic broke.

Nope

None of my 3 cars are broken, or look like they're trending that way. We bought a '90LX new, and drove it for 12 years - never a problem with that one either. But then again we don't smoke, so they've all had light duty. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that many broken ones in salvage yard cars - I've passed by dozens of them. But, I've put an NOS lid on the shelf just in case...

JD

I just got a 92 and the ash tray lid looked broken. After I removed the top of the consol, I found it was not broken but simply fell out of its mount. I took a close look at my 90 parts car (never an ash tray issue) and discovered the problem. The 92 is plastic and the two arms don't have enough tension to hold in the mounts. The 90 is cast and won't bend. Swapped in the 90 lid and have never had a problem since.

Back