What could I buy for my SC with $10,000 ?

drummerzrok24

I am getting some money back and my friend is giving me some money cause of stuff I've helped him with on his neon and was wondering what I could do to my SC performance wise, get the most bang for the buck. How fast could I get my SC to go for 10G's? I just finished dropping a Reman. Long Block in, so I want to stick with the 3.8 for now.

sticking with the stock motor.....

Id say do something about that lame arse supercharger!

Leaving teh stock lower alone you can make around 300rwhp for under $5000

?????? 10 G's

HMMMM Lets see........... For 10 G's about anything you f*&^&*g want. I think I would start with Headlight gaskets and muffler bearings.. Those are a big problem on an SC. Also a cup holder since they dont come as original equipment. Then you could buy the nickel dime stuff. Might contact Niebert on the Muffler bearings though.. I think he has in great source and gets them a lot cheaper than anybody else can. Dalke can help with the cup holder. I think he is working on one that will hold a drink and a some HOT WINGS if you have the cash for it. Just my thoughts of what I would do if I had 10 G's to spend. :D

Keep the S.C. stock and buy a 9 second Mustang used. Dont mind me but if I had it to do over again I would have never put a ton of money in a S.C. I would have left it stock and built something that would go a lot faster. :D

drummerzrok24 said:
I am getting some money back and my friend is giving me some money cause of stuff I've helped him with on his neon and was wondering what I could do to my SC performance wise, get the most bang for the buck. How fast could I get my SC to go for 10G's? I just finished dropping a Reman. Long Block in, so I want to stick with the 3.8 for now.

1.7 AR blower kit
Steig heads
Dalke spec cam
50# injectors
255 lph HP pump kit
Headers and exhaust
MP FMIC
75mm TB
SCT Chip & Dyno tune
Aluminum Rad..Griffin or Mike's

Can't tell you much more without knowing what transmission you have.

David

If I had $10k for my SC, I'd buy it a stablemate, not parts. :p
No offense to the hardcore racers out there, but putting $10k into a $4k car leaves you with a $4k car in a car wreck, and very easily totalled in that price range.

Sorry to be a downer, the knowledge that the weekend is now completely over has me in a funk. :(

I would create my own shortblock, water to air intercooler and an air to air, get an AR, headers, all the necessary intake and fuel modifications, have a professional drag race head porter port some heads and put some big valves in then get a T-56 conversion. What I said was more than $10000 though.

Man I need to hit the lottery......or somthing. :rolleyes:

this is pointless, if you have to mention what to put in a block you cant just expect to slap it together and make it work :rolleyes: , i would just give links to to people that do custom work to SC engines and buy an engine thats been put together and toss it in, then follow the builders advise what else to do :rolleyes:

its like Tim Allen or Jay Leno asking for advise how to make **** happen and expect them to do it, they dont, they tell people that deal in what they are looking for and they toss it together for them :eek:

I have to agree. The shortblock is the base of the whole engine. Get a good builder to do one. First you have to know what you want to do. Street ., race a combination of both? Then you can figure what to bolt on up to that point its all talk. If the car you have now runs good and is nice why not buy a good body that needs engine work and start there. This stuff takes time, your car could be down a long time.

I'm not really sure what the difference is in putting $10K in a car worth $1500 and putting $10 into a car worth $15K. If you wreck either one you still lose $10K on the parts you put into it. Only difference is that the $1500 car limits you to losing no more than $1500 in the car itself. Wreck your $15K car and you will lose more than $1500 in depreciation alone.

Personally I feel that anyone who puts $10K into any car who can't afford the risks that go along with it shouldn't do it in the first place. That being said, I'd not spend a ton of money on the shortblock. There is no proof whatsoever that the stock shortblock cannot hold up to a reasonable amount of abuse. Two among the highest HP 3.8's that exist are still bone stock below the camshaft.

$10K should get you about 400rwhp and a few other goodies to go along with it which is plenty fast enough for these old cars. Anything more than that and you need to start really looking at either getting a better platform to start with or really re-doing the car which will probably start to eat into it's streetability and will kill another $10K pretty quick.

;)

XR7 Dave said:
I'm not really sure what the difference is in putting $10K in a car worth $1500 and putting $10 into a car worth $15K. If you wreck either one you still lose $10K on the parts you put into it. Only difference is that the $1500 car limits you to losing no more than $1500 in the car itself. Wreck your $15K car and you will lose more than $1500 in depreciation alone.;)

Just to clarify where I was coming from:
Get into a typical fender bender with a $4k car and it can very easily get totalled. It's incredibly easy for a car like this to reach that "total it" figure in a fairly minor accident. If that car is worth significantly more, it takes a much more serious accident to hit that "total it" figure. Putting 250% of a car's value into it (best case SC) vs. 50% of value of a $20k car is just riskier.
Don't mine me, a person has right to have fun with their money however they want to. You can't always weigh the dollars and cents of having fun. I've jsut got a case of the Monday's after a totally wasted weekend. ;)

Probably 12's. .. Then when you get good at it, maybe 11's. .. But more importantly, you'll be able to get groceries faster than any person out there.

Anthony

dude, buy an auto trader, or somthin along those lines, wait for a really good deal, like a car worth 15000 dollars that's selling for 8 or 9, buy it, clean the hell out of it, resell for 15000, then start another thread "what could i do to my super coupe with 17000 dollars? :D i do that all the time, just not with 10 grand

AsScLoWn said:
this is pointless, if you have to mention what to put in a block you cant just expect to slap it together and make it work :rolleyes: , i would just give links to to people that do custom work to SC engines and buy an engine thats been put together and toss it in, then follow the builders advise what else to do :rolleyes:

its like Tim Allen or Jay Leno asking for advise how to make **** happen and expect them to do it, they dont, they tell people that deal in what they are looking for and they toss it together for them :eek:
I wouldn't just "slap" it together because I know what I'm doing. I have a race car and have been dealing with my own custom shortblocks for about 5 years now. I know what you mean but it has no plausibility if thrown towards my direction.

Not to mention if I had that much money in my car I would NOT drive it around all over the place. Only to the track.

There's more to a short block to me than just durability. There's rotating weight, compression, drag from high tension piston rings, blowby, etc.... Making your own shortblock would be cheaper than the coy miller stuff anyway.

Back