Put new MP 85mm throttle body on yesterday, whoa-ho-ho...

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I took it out for a test drive this morning in the nice cold crisp air, yep, it's cold down here too, but it just loves cold air. Wow, what a difference over the 70mm. I reworked the cold air intake, too, straigtening it out and going to a 9" K&N cone filter. I cut a larger hole under and beside the filter in the inner fender and put in a heatshield on the other side of it. Since the 85mm has a 3 1/2" diameter opening I used a $10, 3" plumbers el from good old Home Dep to connect the inlet tube. Charles Warner told me to neck it down as close to the TB as I could. The transition isn't quite as gradual as he recommended but it clamps right up as it's big end is 3 1/2". I cut the 3" curved part of the el so the angle was right to mate with the inlet tube.
I just touch the pedal to run the speed limit. It leaps off the line and accelerates even more effortlessly than before. It's got a little dead spot at one point halfway to the floor but beyond that it rockets away. If I try to floor it, it breaks traction in 1st-3rd especially on the cold pavement. I should have the new and improved IC on it next weekend, get it back on the dyno at Higgins Performance the week after and get it retuned. No telling what the A/F looks like now. Could a 12.5 be far off?

Attachments

• 85mm intake.jpg
    85mm intake.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 202
Back