Magnaport 1 for 94/95 SC's. To much boost?

91BLOWNSC

Well guys I have a 1995 5-speed and it has the mods listed in my signature. On a cold night it won't hesitate to peg the boost gauge w/out a problem. I am unsure of why this is, I have ported heads, but no cam. Is the reason I am seeing such high boost numbers because I have no cam? I was thinking about having the magnaport 1 done on my SC. And well, obviously if its going to flow more air, that would just be well above 14 PSI which is what I usually push consistantly. And from what I read obviuosly thats not going to benefit me much. Can anyone recommend as to what I should do. The car should be ready to come out within the next week or two. And I plan on getting it tuned. But the MP was just another mod I would like to do. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks, Mark.

What exactly do you have for an exhaust? Cats? Pipe size?

When the heads were ported, did you see them before they went on? Stock valves? Was the short side of the exhaust port smoothed out?

Stock boost gauges aren't all that accurate, especially after a few years. Although 14ish PSI is what I'd expect from your combo and all the intake mods. The stock 95 cam sucks since it's only like 184* on the intake and I think it was 193 or 195* on the exhaust (.050" lift readings). I have the actual specs somewhere. The specs I've seen alot of people passing around for the 94-95 cams are wrong. I actually sent one to Crane for my regrind and they spun it up before cutting it. So I know my specs are 100% accurate.

BlackbirdSC said:
What exactly do you have for an exhaust? Cats? Pipe size?

When the heads were ported, did you see them before they went on? Stock valves? Was the short side of the exhaust port smoothed out?

Stock boost gauges aren't all that accurate, especially after a few years. Although 14ish PSI is what I'd expect from your combo and all the intake mods. The stock 95 cam sucks since it's only like 184* on the intake and I think it was 193 or 195* on the exhaust (.050" lift readings). I have the actual specs somewhere. The specs I've seen alot of people passing around for the 94-95 cams are wrong. I actually sent one to Crane for my regrind and they spun it up before cutting it. So I know my specs are 100% accurate.

The exhaust is the starts w/ the kooks headers to two 2.5 inch pipes into a magnaflow resonator, out to a single 3 inch pipe, then splits again into two 2.5. The guy before my put it on. Oh and there are no cats on it. So I know it flows good. I also know that the heads are good. And they have oversized valves. Maybe your right, it could be off. But if its not, what would you recommend w/ the Magnaport? Would it just hurt me w/ so much boost? I don't plan on upgrading the intercooler yet.

By far the cheapest way to 'unboost it' it to get rid of your 10% over drive pulley! Swap it for a 5% pulley.

Toms-SC said:
By far the cheapest way to 'unboost it' it to get rid of your 10% over drive pulley! Swap it for a 5% pulley.
The 10% is on his 91. His 95 has a 5% according to his list. ;)

This really doesn't answer your question about "Magnaport 1 for 94/95 SC's. To much boost?", but I did ask a question a while back about '94-95's & OD pullys. A 5% OD pully is really like an 8% OD... a 10% OD pully is really like a 13% OD. Everyone said it's because it's based on ealier model Eatons which came with a smaller pully than the '94-95's.

Back