Dash Swap: 94+ Dash in my '93 *Pics*

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
In hopes of making my car more special and also giving it a chance at Carlise I figured this couldn't hurt any! I mean how many '93s will have 94+ interior? :eek: So I took the plung and all I can say is I couldn't be happier that I did. Yesterday I finally got the new dash in...I've been working on this for 2 weeks, probably only 5 days of work though, due to lack of a garage and spring showers, but here is what I have as of now!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the first 6 or so...this was at dusk and the flash sorta worked and sort of didn't, but I guess you get the idea. Also, Today I noticed that with the 5sp shifting into 1,3,5 gear are almost impossible since I hit the dash...did Ford use a different lever on the newer models? What the trans back farther? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim

Nice

Dude, That looks good. Was it real dificult? I want to do that with my 93. I have blue interior and since I am going to change the butt ugly blue, I may as well go to the newer style.

Well I haven't really got to the difficult part yet, that being the wiring. But as for installation it wasn't as bad as I thought. Racecougar was the one I modeled my job after and well I did something different but all in all same out come. Everything mounts up pretty much the same, the dash has some differences in mounting points but its easy to work with. Racecougar changed the firewalls mounting to have the correct mounting points...I just got rid of what wasn't needed and used what was there...it was only a difference of 2 mounts.

Just depends on how exsact you want to be....but I will say its not easy.

Let me know if you do the swap...I'll help ya the best I can. Just make sure you have a parts car.

-Tim

Parts Car?

I was just gonna go to the scrap yard and rip everything out. Is there a specific reason to have it or is it because I need most of everything.

Looks good, Tim. Good luck on the wiring.

If anyone wants to see what is involved in the swap, here's a link to the writeup I did on the swap: Dash swap

-Rod

racecougar said:
Looks good, Tim. Good luck on the wiring.

-Rod

Yeah I'm noticing that now...Today I plugged everything up and all I came out with were headlights and wipers. Seems as though everything else is different. Irregaurdless I'm not down and out yet, knew it wouldn't be easy so till another day. It would be nice if it started but I guess the ignition wiring is differnt too.

I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks for the healp again.

-Tim

Was the dash from a Super Coupe or an LX? My dad and I went through this a few years ago. We bought his SC wrecked - when the air bags popped, it damaged the dash. We found another gray 94 dash to put in and after it was in - all we had was everything from the firewall and forward. We might have had interior lights? But no fuel pump or anything in the back of the car.

What we did - put the old dash and the new dash next to each other and swapped all the Super Coupe wiring into the LX dash. That might what it comes down to - as much as I hate to say it.

Good luck on it - it does look really nice too. I wish our 94's interior was that nice.

-Andy "Melon"

Yeah this dash was a from a 94 LX...however I just read that the Auto Climate Units were different 94+ and the 93 EEC will not work with it. So with that said tomorrow I will pull the dash again, and reuse the 93s wiring harness. Then I know everything will work and all I'll have to work with will be making the old climate control unit fit in the 94s dash.

Had a notion to do this in the first place, but to many people (including myself) figured Ford would have kept the wiring layout similar on things such as ignition, lights, signal...etc.

I will keep everyone posted. Oh and once again I find myself doing the Carlisle Crunch as I refer to it.

-Tim

Looks very good Tim! Since you are probably very fimilular with the back side of the dash I wanted to know just how much wiring is back there and can pieces of the wiring be unplugged and removed to reduce weight if someone was gutting their dash?

Shane

quick35th said:
Since you are probably very fimilular with the back side of the dash I wanted to know just how much wiring is back there and can pieces of the wiring be unplugged and removed to reduce weight if someone was gutting their dash?

Shane

I mean you could get rid of the accessories like the a/c & heating stuff, radio, vmm if you had...and yeah it can be unplug from the firewall...removing it from the main harness I'm not certain...I mean I'm sure anything is possible.

Dash removal wasn't hard at all...remove like 10 bolts and it comes out as an entire unit

img_0068.jpg

-Tim

Hmm thanks Tim. I was just wandering because I want to get rid of all unnessisary wiring that I can.

Shane

quick35th said:
Hmm thanks Tim. I was just wandering because I want to get rid of all unnessisary wiring that I can.

Shane

When you say unnessisary...what are you refering to? I mean everything that I see has a purpose wiring wise, unless you wanted to delete options.

-Tim

Tim Groth said:
When you say unnessisary...what are you refering to? I mean everything that I see has a purpose wiring wise, unless you wanted to delete options.

-Tim

I mean all I really want is the wiring for the EEC, ignition and cluster. I dont need the heater, radio, vmm, etc. because I am building a race car out of my 35th. Also all the unnessisary wiring under the hood and on the inside of the car is getting tossed to save weight. I want it as clean and unclutterd as possible. Plus I am going to move the ABS and EEC computers into the dash.

Shane

About the swap

So did you ever figure out the wiring on the climate control and everything else? How about the shifter? Did you find out why it was hitting the dask in 1,3,&5? Please let us know. I am very interested, for I want to do the same to my 93 bird. I have already did a successful front end swap, now it is time for the interrior. Thank you and God bless.

So do you have any updates yet? I am very interested in hearing some more. I am ready to do the same thing myself. PLease let me know. I hope that everything worked out good for you. God bless.

Back