Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the SC dyno'd....Excellent results

Got the SC dyno'd....Excellent results

The time finally came where I could quantify the hard work that I've been putting into my SC for the past few months.

Here's a list of the performance mods that I have done to the car:
    Custom (Home) Ported '95 Supercharger
    5% Pulley
    70mm BBK Throttle Body
    Ported Inlet Plenum
    C&L 76mm MAF
    SCT Tune by Dave Dalke
    Custom 2 1/2" True Dual Exhaust
    Light Weight Jackshaft Pulley
    Roller Rockers
    Steel Idler Pulleys
    Honed Upper IC Tube
    180* Thermostat
    Honed, Ceramic Coated and Header Wrapped Lower IC Tube
    Iridium Plugs
    Taylor Wires
    Grand Am Front Air Dam
    255 lph Fuel Pump
    Custom Built Double Intercooler
    8" 800 CFM IC Fan
    High Rev Trans-Go Shift Kit
    Transmission Cooler
    tbird88's Poly Rear Differential Mount
    Poly Differential Bushings
    Solid Rubber Tranny Mount
    Poly Crossmember Bushings

Now for the fun part: Below is the dyno sheet from the tune. The first pull (in red) was just after we had installed the C&L, so that is the reason for the high AF ratio. The blue indicates the final run with the tune.

Here are the results of the tune:
    248.8 rwhp
    340.1 rwtq

Those numbers are with stock heads and cam, as well as the stock 30lb injectors. You will notice that the dyno chart only goes to 4200 rpm. That is where my Trans-Go shift kit was shifting into overdrive on the dyno. That said, I belive that my hp rating is 5-7 more than the results of the dyno. I ran out of injectors at 5200 rpm, so I have another 1000 rpm to pick up a few more hp.

I think this combination to be good for high 13's, but it has yet to be track tested. I don't know when I'll be able to do that because of my work schedule, but at the first available opportunity, I am testing it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 007_SuperCoupe
    The time finally came where I could quantify the hard work that I've been putting into my SC for the past few months.

Here's a list of the performance mods that I have done to the car:
    Custom (Home) Ported '95 Supercharger
    5% Pulley
    70mm BBK Throttle Body
    Ported Inlet Plenum
    C&L 76mm MAF
    SCT Tune by Dave Dalke
    Custom 2 1/2" True Dual Exhaust
    Light Weight Jackshaft Pulley
    Roller Rockers
    Steel Idler Pulleys
    Honed Upper IC Tube
    180* Thermostat
    Honed, Ceramic Coated and Header Wrapped Lower IC Tube
    Iridium Plugs
    Taylor Wires
    Grand Am Front Air Dam
    255 lph Fuel Pump
    Custom Built Double Intercooler
    8" 800 CFM IC Fan
    High Rev Trans-Go Shift Kit
    Transmission Cooler
    tbird88's Poly Rear Differential Mount
    Poly Differential Bushings
    Solid Rubber Tranny Mount
    Poly Crossmember Bushings

Now for the fun part: Below is the dyno sheet from the tune. The first pull (in red) was just after we had installed the C&L, so that is the reason for the high AF ratio. The blue indicates the final run with the tune.

Here are the results of the tune:
    248.8 rwhp
    340.1 rwtq

Those numbers are with stock heads and cam, as well as the stock 30lb injectors. You will notice that the dyno chart only goes to 4200 rpm. That is where my Trans-Go shift kit was shifting into overdrive on the dyno. That said, I belive that my hp rating is 5-7 more than the results of the dyno. I ran out of injectors at 5200 rpm, so I have another 1000 rpm to pick up a few more hp.

I think this combination to be good for high 13's, but it has yet to be track tested. I don't know when I'll be able to do that because of my work schedule, but at the first available opportunity, I am testing it!
    How much did all those mods cost you?

Nice Dyno

Not bad for the mods installed. The stock cam peaks at 4400-4600. Running it past 5000 is pointless and will just make you slower. Although you probably are right at the edge of the 30# injectors.

No offense, but.. snowballs chance in hell of a high 13 with an auto. When mine was less modified and had a stock bottom end with ported heads, it made 260 RWHP and 350 RWT through the 5 spd. So probably about the same as what you have now. With 2.73 or 3.08 gears (like 3.27 or 3.55s in an auto) I could pull 14.5s all day long with 1.9x 60' times.

Get some work done to the heads, some 38# injectors and a Comp Cams 210/220 .490" lift reground cam and you'll have solid 13.8s or so.

Power sux doesn't it? Never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackbirdSC
    No offense, but.. snowballs chance in hell of a high 13 with an auto. When mine was less modified and had a stock bottom end with ported heads, it made 260 RWHP and 350 RWT through the 5 spd. So probably about the same as what you have now. With 2.73 or 3.08 gears (like 3.27 or 3.55s in an auto) I could pull 14.5s all day long with 1.9x 60' times.

Get some work done to the heads, some 38# injectors and a Comp Cams 210/220 .490" lift reground cam and you'll have solid 13.8s or so.

Power sux doesn't it? Never enough...
    Keep in mind that elevation plays a big role in e.t.s. I asked a fellow sc'er today about my power level and possible e.t. times. His power levels were slightly less than mine with an auto...he was turning 13.6's at a track only about 300' different in elevation than the track that I run at. He did have 3.55's installed too. I figure that with the elevation I should be able to get 13.9's with a possible 13.8 every now and again. I do have 3.73's that may go on later this summer, but that is dependant upon a lot of other variables.

I'm just going off of a similar vehicle, with similar power levels to see where I will end up at the track. As it looks now, I should be able to achieve high 13's with my set-up at my elevation.

nice work!

And you still haven't finished the front end yet???

Good numbers Sam. Keep plugging away at it and one day if you're lucky, you'll be as slow as me.

No offense, but.. snowballs chance in hell of a high 13 with an auto
    I would have to disagree with that. I went 13.98 in my 94 a few years ago with a couple less RWHP than he has. This was with a stock torque converter and street radials.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvcien
    How much did all those mods cost you?

Nice Dyno
    [tried replying last night, but my internet connections went down...so here's your response]

I've spent too much money according to my wife. And I didn't go the fastest and cheapest way to get these numbers. I had a bit of a learning curve to get there. The most important thing to remeber about the cost is that I have installed it all myself. And I've gotten a lot of hand-me-down parts as well. This includes my exhaust, which would have cost about $200 more had I gotten it direct from an exhaust shop. Below is a link to my car on the upper midwest boards. Prices are included for all mods on that board. Any installation prices that you see is what I had to spend to get the other things to make installation possible. Enjoy the reading.

my mods and the cost of each

Peter Dennis' SC dyno'd 203 rwhp and I got a 14.6 out of it. So I think if it had 40+ more rear wheel horsepower I could have gotten a 13.8-13.9 out of it assuming that I had a 1.9-2.0 60 ft. time.
    Scott Long
    1992 SC 5-speed
    Black on black leather, lowered, 18x9 Chrome Saleens...

I think what most are missing is the torque: 340 rwtq. With that number I think that 13's ARE possible.

Another case in point; another local SC'er (before he decided to go V8) was making 270~ rwhp and 350~ rwtq and was running mid 13's on really bad traction. Yes, the power level is higher than mine, but I still think that high 13's are possible.

numbers

they seem a little low, maybe because of the auto tranny?I have the stock IC and xhaust manifolds but it's a 5 speed.Is that the diff?

Quote Originally Posted by j rick kirby
    they seem a little low, maybe because of the auto tranny?I have the stock IC and xhaust manifolds but it's a 5 speed.Is that the diff?
    Yes, the auto tranny eats up about 10 hp over the 5-speed. Keep in mind that I'm still running the stock 30 lb. injectors too. They are limited to roughly 260 rwhp in the 5-speeds and 250 rwhp in the autos. An injector upgrade with an additional 5% will yeild a bit more power, but I'm very happy with where my SC stands at this point.

You will want to look at getting at least a double intercooler. If you've got higher power levels than I do with the stock IC, you are leaving some power on the table. I'm still running the stock manifolds too. At this point, I don't see the point in headers.

My next mods will be gears, injectors and a torque converter. Then I'll be looking at bigger mods, like heads, cam, etc.

If you shag some weight (ditching the passenger seat would be a big help) and ran on some drag radials at a minimum....and were able to cut a pretty good 60 foot (1.90 or better) I think you would have some serious 13 second potential. You can dip into the 13's with as little as 95-96 mph which I think you are good for.

BUT, it will take some effort, if you pull up to the line with none of the tricks performed and no attention to traction I think you'll be doing mid 14's.

Micah

Quote Originally Posted by Micahdogg
    If you shag some weight (ditching the passenger seat would be a big help) and ran on some drag radials at a minimum....and were able to cut a pretty good 60 foot (1.90 or better) I think you would have some serious 13 second potential. You can dip into the 13's with as little as 95-96 mph which I think you are good for.

BUT, it will take some effort, if you pull up to the line with none of the tricks performed and no attention to traction I think you'll be doing mid 14's.

Micah
    Yeah, I'm agreement there. Right now I've got 200+ lbs of additional crap in the trunk (speaker box, etc) that comes out at the track. I haven't pulled the passenger seat or rear seat yet, but I'm not above it. I have pulled 1.9 60' before I started with the mods, but that was with really good traction (I followed a 9.0 second car, so the track was really sticky). Since I've started all my mods, I've been traction limited. Drag radials are a must to get into the 13's. There's no way that I can do it on street tires. I spin on launch, 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. And that's with W rated tires too, so DR's are in my future.

FWIW, Russ Jamison claims to have hit a 13.96 at 95 mph before, but his best documented run (I think there is video in multimedia section) was a 14.025 @ 94.4 mph.

His mods on a 90 AOD SC were spearco IC (not as great as it sounds), raised top, K&N panel, 73mm MAF, ported stock TB, ASP underdrives, 10% pulley, no cats + flowmaster exhaust, Level 10 AOD, tranny cooler, 2800 stall with solid input shaft, 3.73's, 255 50 drag radials on stock wheels. But he could cut mid 1.8 second 60 foot times frequently and did the shock disconnect trick among some others. He's been known to run a short belt to bypass the ps pulley at the track, but not sure if he did it on these runs. I'm almost positive he didn't remove the passenger seat, but all the normal stuff was removed.

Micah