Got the SC dyno'd....Excellent results

Well Ford underated the HP level slightly so that it would be under the advertised Mustang numbers. Like Micah said 190 rwhp is what most early SCs will put down stock. I think my friends stock 95 5 speed made 205 rwhp. He is now at around 245 rwhp and has run a 14.49 @95 mph with a 2.0 60'. 413 ft elevation.

If you get some slicks a very low 14 should be there. Micah has just gotten to the 13s and he is making around 270 rwhp.

I know that my 89 SC auto shifts into 3rd right around the 1/8th mile. So I have no gear multiplication for half the track, and from that point on it's all about hp. Your 4R70W auto SC has the same 3.27 gears as mine has so this should be the same situation for you as well. I have no doubt the 3.73s would be worth 2 to 3 tenths.

Jerry

Shockwave said:
Your 4R70W auto SC has the same 3.27 gears as mine has so this should be the same situation for you as well. I have no doubt the 3.73s would be worth 2 to 3 tenths.

Jerry

Actually I've got the AOD...Still a '92 SC... Just put the late model blower on it. 3.73's should be worth more than .3 over my 3.27's. But traction will be the issue...it already is...

Sam
Do yourself a favor & scrap the torque conv idea until you get some injectors & gears.
Then you will know whats its really capable of.
The convertor alone will only make you mad. you won't see abig improvement anywhere, just a loss of MPG.
The convertor is for people who have everything else & are looking for that bigger launch at the track.
Don't forget NA cars dont make big torque down low, They need a convertor to improve 60' times. My boys N/A 350 79 camaro is putting down 260rwhp, has a 2500 stall & runs 13.8s with a lousy 2.0, 60' on drag radials. The convertor helps him as his TQ #'s only come on, up top. without the conv he only managed 2.3s on drag radials
You have an SC and the low torque numbers are there already.

I'm just speaking from experience...you can run 13s with some DRs, gears & bigger injectors to get that little bit of extra HP up top.
4 yrs ago we ran 13.8s with your same setup, plus the 3.73 gears & 38lb inj.
no convertor we managed, 1.90 60' times on BFG Drag Radials.
so get the gears first, then the inj. after that do whatever you like.

Last edited:
SCgraphics guy said:
As for me I ran a 13.15 @ 106 , couldn't get a 12, but I don't think the 3.55s were helping. The best #s we made...sat night after midnight were 343hp/404.4 tq, After Daves tune.

Damn Todd, I would have bet the gas back to CO that you were going to run a 12 something! The car felt really strong on the street although the more I think about it I feel that it is just running out of IC because it does still lay down some in 3rd. However, the MPH is good. 106 is an improvement for the car I believe, isn't it? Pretty decent for 1500 ft elev.

Any other comments about how the car ran at the track?

SCgraphics guy said:
Sam
Do yourself a favor & scrap the torque conv idea until you get some injectors & gears.
Then you will know whats its really capable of.
The convertor alone will only make you mad. you won't see abig improvement anywhere, just a loss of MPG.
The convertor is for people who have everything else & are looking for that bigger launch at the track.
Don't forget NA cars dont make big torque down low, They need a convertor to improve 60' times. My boys N/A 350 79 camaro is putting down 260rwhp, has a 2500 stall & runs 13.8s with a lousy 2.0, 60' on drag radials. The convertor helps him as his TQ #'s only come on, up top. without the conv he only managed 2.3s on drag radials
You have an SC and the low torque numbers are there already.

I'm just speaking from experience...you can run 13s with some DRs, gears & bigger injectors to get that little bit of extra HP up top.
4 yrs ago we ran 13.8s with your same setup, plus the 3.73 gears & 38lb inj.
no convertor we managed, 1.90 60' times on BFG Drag Radials.
so get the gears first, then the inj. after that do whatever you like.

I'll consider the advise. One thing that I'd like to point out though is that I'm not going to go with a high stall converter for better low numbers. I was actually looking into a converter that has close to the same stall as stock, but non-locking so as to keep the torque multiplication throughout the 1/4 mile. I'm not ready for a high stall converter yet as my engine is no-where near the power level to properly use one. I was just thinking a little different from stock to get the most out of my current set-up. When I do more radical engine work, then I'd look at getting a more extreme TC. What's your advice on that?
(Specifically I'm looking at a 2100 stall non-locking) Gears are definately first, but then I was going to go with the torque converter as new injectors would through off my tune enough to have to get it re-tuned. Right now I feel comfortable with the tune, because I'm not making any power above 5k...and my injectors are out at 5200. I'm not sure that larger injectors would be helpful until I have some head and or cam work done. I could go with a different pulley and then larger injectors would be more of an issue, but I think that for now, I'm happy with the power level.

Truth be told, I'm still up in the air as to what I'm going to do after the gears. There's not much that I can do without getting into the heads/cam or AR. A raised top may or may not help. I've never been convinced of the benefit, so I haven't done it yet. A non-locking converter will help me get a little faster times. I refuse to spend money on the MP stuff, partly because I think it's overpriced and partly because I'm doing pretty good without any of it. (If I get a raised top it won't be an MP one.) What mods can I do that would be considered "bolt on" type mods? I'm saving the heads/cam, AR for another time. Right now I want to keep it all external. I know there's not much that I can do.

Back