What else to do?

Melon

SCCoA Member
With my blown headgaskets, I'm planning to go through the engine and check things out and rebuild it. I know I don't need to get that deep into the engine, but why not? It's not my daily driver and I've got the time (and eventually, the money :D)

Here's what I'm planning on so far:
New radiator
New AC pieces and convert to new stuff
Heads & Cam - no clue what I want for either
BHJ Balancer

The list I have is bigger, but it's got some gauge upgrades and few other things that a reminder for me :) Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm not quite ready to start buying parts quite yet.

Oh, and if anyone wants to e-mail me to tell me what I need to know about heads and cam, that would be great (MelonSC@gmail.com) because I don't know much about them.

Thanks
-Andy "Melon"

Hey Andy,
Include in your list a shorter AC condensor since you are doing it all. That will give you better heat transfer on that 2x IC you have.

Also, heads we can get done. It all depends on how extreme you want to go. We've talked about it some, but I still don't think that you really have a good end result in mind. Do you plan on going with an AR or do you want to continue with the M90 family of superchargers? That will make a difference in your head/cam goals. If I'm not mistaken, you are looking for the 350 rwhp range. With the M90, you will have to go extreme on the heads, if you're planning AR, then you can go mild on the heads and cam and still meet your goal well.

I've started talking with Larry about what a rebuild will be. I think that a good solid rebuild on the short block and some good head porting will yield the results that you are looking for.

It may also help to be a little more informative as well. You and I have talked so I know where you are thinking, but most here don't. You'll get a lot better response if you include some more info...

What I know, you are considering a rebuild capable of dependable 350 rwhp. Some specifics that we have talked about are; the '94-94 connecting rods, good heads with a cam built to match, forged pistons, top of the line bearings, and possibly the oil pick-up, pump and windage tray from a '94-'95 SC. Another thing we had briefly talked about is getting the engine bored .030 over so you can unshroud the valves for more low and mid lift numbers. Those are the specifics that I remember talking to you about. Now hopefully you can get some really good responses from some of the smart people here.

Right - The end goal is 350rwhp if I end up with an AR in the future. I'm not shooting for 350 and M90. I'm not planning on anything extreme with the heads and cam since I'm looking for good street ability. I'm not 100% sure if the engine will get bored or not - I'm going to wait and see what it looks like when we get that deep.

Part of what I'm looking for in this thread is suggestions of things to modifiy/upgrade/whatever while I'm doing the engine work, but also other things (like the AC system and brake upgrade) while the engine is out and the car isn't going anywhere.

-Melon

Back