aod tranny will not stay engaged

creeperxr7

my tranny is acting very weird all of a sudden ... strange thing it was parked like 6 months took it out 4 a drive and started this-------------when i put in reverse i kinda acts like the rear brakes are stuck cuase it will catch then slip catch then slip.. also engine shakes like heck never did this either but i mean it shakes.-------------- also it will not shift into 2nd gear on time or at all.. all it will do is rev up real high then bam or somtimes nothing...... but then again if i havent drove it 4 a couple days it will shift fine for the first couple of drives turn it off then again. any suggestions. :confused: u guys are the best thank u... oh almost forgot. If i put it in nuetral the car will start kreeping little by little is something set wrong?

In order of what I'd check/do....

1.) Check the fluid. Get the car up to temp by either driving a couple miles or letting it idle in drive for awhile. Idling in park won't get the trans to temp. Running it through all gears (R, D, OD, L etc) then put it in park and check it. Might be low fluid.

2.) Is the fluid brownish red or black? Does it smell burnt? Compare it to new fluid. If it's not low, drain the fluid and pull the pan. Or, better yet, find a shop that can totally flush the system. The whole setup holds about 14-15 quarts and only 4-6 will come out of the pan. Refill with Mercon V (not Dexron III/Mercon fluid... straight Mercon V).

3.) TV cable. Is it adjusted right? The TV cable controls when the trans shifts.

4.) 1-2 Accumulator spring. It's not too uncommon for the 1-2 accumulator spring to break. Could check it when the pans off. Pretty simple circlip holds the accumulator and 2 springs in place. It'll run up to 20-25mph in 1st and slam your head off the seat when it shifts to 2nd if the springs broke. I know the 4r70w's had an updated spring in '98 or '99, should fit the old AOD(E) units.

5.) It's scrap and needs rebuilt.

Good luck,
Steve

pulled the pan theirs metal shavings like crazy im guessing from the steel plates.. im still wondering what could of caused this. if the tranny was running great before it got parked .. my fluid looks brand new

Back