Bittersweet reunion

90XR7Cougar5spd

I first got my Sc cougar at age 16 had to sell it at 18, moms orders. 2 years later i came across the car and bought it. when i found the car it was in peices. timing cover was off and both accesory brackets were off, along with the supercharger, all the parts in the trunk though. Talked to the guy about it asked him why ot was in peices and he replys "thought the timing chain was bad so i pulled everything off to chech it and never found the time to assemble everything. I paid the man 300 dollars for the car loaded it up on to a trailer and hauled it home. iI checked everything over and everthing was there and in good condition still. Put everything back on the car and went to start it and wouldnt start, i wasnt getting any fire. I tested the coil pack, it was good, put a new ignition module on it and still no fire. it turns over but just wont start. Any ideas?????????

Is there fuel in the tank? Is the fuel pump running? Has the fuel filter been replaced?
Is there a spark at the coil pack or plugs?

yes, there is fuel in the tank, fuel pump is working fine, i aint getting any spark at all, good coil pack, new ignition module, still no spark.

yep...

i agree with jd...its the crank sensor. mine did the exact same thing. it will crank all freaking day but never fire. replace the crank sensor and you should be good to go.

If your upshift light on the dash stays on while cranking, the sensor is no good. If it shuts off while cranking, it is fine. Did you double check all your grounds when you put it back together? double check all grounds as well. Good luck!

Kyle

I feel like such a dumbas* when i was assembling everything back together i noticed a ground wire on the passenger side of the motor but didnt pay no mind to it i was ready to get it put back together so me and the old cougar could take a trip down memory lane. But...... the upshift light stays on during cranking along with the check engine light, anitlock, brake, and the check gage light. By the way all of you guys are awesome i was on the site alot back when i first owned the car you guys have always been alot of help

by the way.....

no the timing chain was not replaced dont asked me wh i didnt go ahead and do it. but it does have a new well used timing cover, the old one was broke.

dont mean to sound like a smart as* but how could the harmonic balancer cause it from not getting anyfire, and yes i need a new one im looking for one cheap right now i kinda rigged it up.

The harmonic balancer works with the crank sensor in determining crank position, therefore spark timing. A broken or mis-located harmonic balancer is a VERY common problem on Tbird SCs. Do a search on "harmonic balancer" and read for yourself....

Back