Floating wrist pins on my '94?

AlanEdwards

I understand that my '94 rods and pistons have floating wrist pins. My rods will float left and right on the pins, of coarse. But also, all but one wrist pin, will move about 1 mm left and right (lengthwise).

Is this OK, or is the wrist pin itself not supposed to move at all? Or do I need to take that one piston back to the machine shop that set them for me, to reset this one so the wrist pin will move 1 mm like the others?

I'm still looking for 1 more connecting rod, preferrably from a '94 or '95 engine. If you have one you can let go, please page me at 800-764-1392, ASAP

Take care.

Yes, the reason they're called "full-floating" pins is because the pins are free to float (move) in both the rod end and the piston pin bore. The pins are prevented from contacting the cylinder walls by circlips or spiral locks in the grooves in the pin bore. 1mm is about right for clearance between the pin and locks. If you're talking about used pistons the reason one pin may not move like the rest is because of wear in the pin bore. I wouldn't worry about it if the rod is moving freely. John

Back