Supercharger repairs and parts in Wpg

Silverstreak89

Hello. The supercharger on my 89 SC is making a rattling noise. Just filled it up with fluid but this didn't help so am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it repaired in Winnipeg. Also considering tackling the repair myself, hs anyone done this repair themselves and where did you get the parts.

Thanks

Repairs

I believe you can't really repair the blower. you can rebuild it,but that means the very high tolerences, gaps and clearances are kept. as for parts, I'd say there isn't any in Canada. HOLY CRAP!!! :eek: there is a place around wpg that works on these blowers :D

this is the link
http://www.maclt.org/

Grant

I read in one of the forums that a rattling sound can come from wear in the plastic coupler that joins the snout shaft to the first drive gear of the rotors.

If that's the case then it would seem (?) like an fairly straightforward job to replace it - remove the retaining bolts and split the snout from the body and then replace the coupler (I don't know if it just pulls off).

Anyone ever done this, how difficult was it, where'd you get the coupler.

Thanks

Silverstreak89 said:
I read in one of the forums that a rattling sound can come from wear in the plastic coupler that joins the snout shaft to the first drive gear of the rotors.

If that's the case then it would seem (?) like an fairly straightforward job to replace it - remove the retaining bolts and split the snout from the body and then replace the coupler (I don't know if it just pulls off).

Anyone ever done this, how difficult was it, where'd you get the coupler.

Thanks

Are you sure the rattling is coming from the supercharger? I've fixed rattles on two occasions where I thoght it was the blower, but was really worn idler pulleys, and also worn bearings in the alternator.

Old Trick

I think it's time to goto old school tricks... get a long screw driver, broom stick or what ever, but has to be a dense material, put one end on the part you think is making the noise, and the other on your ear. the noise will travel up the shaft to your ear without too much noise from other stuff. listen to the blower, alt, tension pulley, A/C compressor, water pump, and the steering pump...

Or goto Princess Auto and pick up a sethascope for 15.00 (i think)

Grant

I finally checked out the noise today with a stethescope and also removed the belt from the supercharger. Its definately the SC.

There's about 1/8" of play (measured at the outside of the pulley) in the shaft rotation. Is this normal or can this be due to wear in the coupler.

Anyone know where you can buy a coupler in Winnipeg, or in Canada (I've seen them advertised in the US).

Thanks

Silverstreak89 said:
Hello. The supercharger on my 89 SC is making a rattling noise. Just filled it up with fluid but this didn't help so am wondering if anyone knows where I can get it repaired in Winnipeg. Also considering tackling the repair myself, hs anyone done this repair themselves and where did you get the parts.

Thanks

I have a 1990 sc. I've owned mine for 10 years and I'm very familiar with these superchargers and everything else on these cars.
I had the same problem a few times with my sc. and every time it was my nose cone bearings. In this nose cone Eaton uses very common and very generic bearings, I belive they are a 6204 and a 6203 and if you get these bearings be sure that they are a "C3" bearing. This indicates that this is a close tolerance bearing. If it dosen't say this they are just a regular bearing and will be prone to early failure. You can tell if this is the problem if you take the nose cone off and spin it and if it makes a noise or dosen't feel smooth when you turn it you will know this is your problem. oh yeah... and if you take your nose cone apart don't forget to get a new seal and check the condition of the input shaft were the seal has been running (sometimes a small groove will wear and cause supercharger oil to seep out.
If you think this may be your problem and you have more questions you can e-mail me at enetx899@yahoo.ca

Reactions: Dan
Thanks for the info. Just wondering where you got the bearings and seals, here in manitoba? What about the coupler-have you replaced it as well?

Silverstreak89 said:
Thanks for the info. Just wondering where you got the bearings and seals, here in manitoba? What about the coupler-have you replaced it as well?

I haven't replaced my coupler as I couldn't see any wear or cracks, and it fit on the three dowel pins fairly snug. I bought my bearings and seal from Motion Canada. Be sure the seal isn't your regular run of the mill black seal. The synthetic supercharger oil will over time make this seal leak. Buy the seal that has a brownish/red oxide color seal as thay are made to withstand higher temps., sythetic fluids , and are just an all round better seal.

I just ordered a complete rebuild kit from Texas Thunderbirds. I figured if I am taking it apart, I might as well do the whole thing. He carries a coupler and all of the necessary bearings and seals, and from what I've read here his stuff comes highly recommended.

I've been on the Texas TB's website. Looks like they have all the parts for a SC rebuild. Just wondering if you got the parts you ordered.
How does one import the parts into Canada - is it mailed to your door , any special paperwork? Are you going to do the rebuild yourself or have someone in Wpg. do it for you? Thanks.

Back