Differences in speedos from 90-94 (pics)

Jeremy_K

I picked up a 94 speedo from the J/Y today since it had close to my car's actual miles on the Odometer. When I got it home I noticed that the speedo in my 90 has the numbers in a different position i.e. 60 MPH at 12-o'-clock. The 94's are offset a little :confused: .90 on the left, 94 on the right in the pics. Can they be swapped? If they can will the 94 read correctly? almost forgot to mention, The newer one is from a 94 LX tbird.

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 131
Near as I can tell, 89-90 have the 60mph straight up and 91-later are like the second one. Notice the starting point of the needle also. I noticed these differences and posted about it a year ago and got no answers then either. IMO, I'm sure they'll swap, but I doubt they will read the same at a given speed. I would be interested in the answer, why don't you try it and post back your results. John

I've tried the 89-90 and the 91-93. They seem to read the same. But another difference is the 1/10ths on the odometer is set about 1/4 inch to the right on the later gauge.
Need to be careful if you have a gauge overlays like the indiglo's.

minbe said:
I've tried the 89-90 and the 91-93. They seem to read the same. But another difference is the 1/10ths on the odometer is set about 1/4 inch to the right on the later gauge.
Need to be careful if you have a gauge overlays like the indiglo's.
That's what got me into this mess! I had the white face overlays for a while and i ended up screwing up my stock gauges. so i bought a used cluster and put that in. the only problem with the new cluster is the odometer reads 46,xxx miles more than what is really on the car. i bought the 94 speedo cause i figured in a couple thousand miles i'll be able to slap it in and have the correct miles on the odometer. i still don't know if we can use the 94 speedo or not. :confused:

NMxr7SC said:
That's what got me into this mess! I had the white face overlays for a while and i ended up screwing up my stock gauges. so i bought a used cluster and put that in. the only problem with the new cluster is the odometer reads 46,xxx miles more than what is really on the car. i bought the 94 speedo cause i figured in a couple thousand miles i'll be able to slap it in and have the correct miles on the odometer. i still don't know if we can use the 94 speedo or not. :confused:

Yes you can. There is no difference in calibration, only a difference in orientation of the needle and numbers. FWIW my 90 had the newer style speedo in it. Must have been a mid year change.

XR7 Dave said:
Yes you can. There is no difference in calibration, only a difference in orientation of the needle and numbers. FWIW my 90 had the newer style speedo in it. Must have been a mid year change.
Thanks Dave. Now I just have to wait like 6,000 miles before i have to pull over and put the new one in when i get to the right mileage! :D

Back