Thread: Differences in speedos from 90-94 (pics)

Differences in speedos from 90-94 (pics)

I picked up a 94 speedo from the J/Y today since it had close to my car's actual miles on the Odometer. When I got it home I noticed that the speedo in my 90 has the numbers in a different position i.e. 60 MPH at 12-o'-clock. The 94's are offset a little .90 on the left, 94 on the right in the pics. Can they be swapped? If they can will the 94 read correctly? almost forgot to mention, The newer one is from a 94 LX tbird.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Near as I can tell, 89-90 have the 60mph straight up and 91-later are like the second one. Notice the starting point of the needle also. I noticed these differences and posted about it a year ago and got no answers then either. IMO, I'm sure they'll swap, but I doubt they will read the same at a given speed. I would be interested in the answer, why don't you try it and post back your results. John

I've tried the 89-90 and the 91-93. They seem to read the same. But another difference is the 1/10ths on the odometer is set about 1/4 inch to the right on the later gauge.
    Need to be careful if you have a gauge overlays like the indiglo's.

Quote Originally Posted by minbe
    I've tried the 89-90 and the 91-93. They seem to read the same. But another difference is the 1/10ths on the odometer is set about 1/4 inch to the right on the later gauge.
    Need to be careful if you have a gauge overlays like the indiglo's.
    That's what got me into this mess! I had the white face overlays for a while and i ended up screwing up my stock gauges. so i bought a used cluster and put that in. the only problem with the new cluster is the odometer reads 46,xxx miles more than what is really on the car. i bought the 94 speedo cause i figured in a couple thousand miles i'll be able to slap it in and have the correct miles on the odometer. i still don't know if we can use the 94 speedo or not.

Quote Originally Posted by NMxr7SC
    That's what got me into this mess! I had the white face overlays for a while and i ended up screwing up my stock gauges. so i bought a used cluster and put that in. the only problem with the new cluster is the odometer reads 46,xxx miles more than what is really on the car. i bought the 94 speedo cause i figured in a couple thousand miles i'll be able to slap it in and have the correct miles on the odometer. i still don't know if we can use the 94 speedo or not.
    Yes you can. There is no difference in calibration, only a difference in orientation of the needle and numbers. FWIW my 90 had the newer style speedo in it. Must have been a mid year change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave
    Yes you can. There is no difference in calibration, only a difference in orientation of the needle and numbers. FWIW my 90 had the newer style speedo in it. Must have been a mid year change.
    Thanks Dave. Now I just have to wait like 6,000 miles before i have to pull over and put the new one in when i get to the right mileage!