Q's about Fiberglass hood, pros and cons?

Deep6

I'm going to be getting stuff together to do a 95 to 97 front end swap. I thought since I have the insurance check in hand, I might be able to squeeze a fiberglass hood in. The only Fiberglass hood that I've seen is from "Age Classic" for a 97'. Are there any other options?

What's different living with a raised cowl hood vs. a stock hood (I.E. harder to see the road etc) ???

All in all, is it better to stick with a stock hood? Do I need hood pins or am I questioning the quality of the hood too much?

What are everyone else's experiences with a fiberglass hood, I'm afraid of cracking or horrid fit/finish issues?

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be able to make this thing look really good.

VFN Fiberglass is offering stock style and 3" cowl hoods for 96/97 Birds and Cougars. I received one of the first ones and it's pretty good quality.

VFN 96/97 Thunderbird

tbirdhood1.jpg

If it is going to a paint shop anyways, then fit and final finish issues should be easily resolved at a good shop. Otherwise in the garage it could be a challenge although I have not heard good or bad things about fitment on this particular unit. I know my Cervini hood was pretty much drop kick simple and lined up sweet...Did some hood latch adjustments and poof it was done.

I would just say DO IT and the end result will probably be a posative...Its gonna look great and that gets alotta points even if ya can't see over it...haha...Sit on a phone book or something...haha

Brad

Wow! That hood...

...looks very nice from VFN. :cool:

I clicked on the link and there were several options, such as "pin on" and "bolt on". :confused:

They seemed to have a "stock flat" hood also?

Does that mean I could order one that is lighter than a stock unit, yet still keep the sleeper look and stock aerodynamics??? :D

brad, after I test fit everything, I'm going to go to my buddies dealership and having it professionally painted. They told me that I should bring the parts in separate so they would get the best paint coverage. Or should I definately have a fiberglass hood painted on the car, due to various fitment issues?

Anyone want to point me in the right direction of a 96-97 front facia? I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Deep6 said:
...looks very nice from VFN. :cool:

I clicked on the link and there were several options, such as "pin on" and "bolt on". :confused:

They seemed to have a "stock flat" hood also?

Does that mean I could order one that is lighter than a stock unit, yet still keep the sleeper look and stock aerodynamics??? :D
Yes.

Deep6 said:
Anyone want to point me in the right direction of a 96-97 front facia? I can't seem to find them anywhere...
Are you looking for the bumper cover or the header panel for mounting the 96/97 headlights?

The plastic part...

I found the header panel on Rockauto.com. I know that is the part that the headlights bolt up to.

I'm just talking about the bumper cover. I can't find any new ones anywhere. Am I stuck with searching for used ones? It's gonna get painted anyway....

My car is gonna look like an LX

I dunno, for me the 96-97 bumper cover looks sleeker. The 94-95 bumper cover looks more "blunt".

That's not to say though that guys who have upgraded to 96-97 Lights and hood but kept the 94-95' Bumper look bad either...

I'll try searching car-part tommarow. Thanks for the assist! ;)

I think I may order that fiberglass hood in stock form. I'm just looking for the weight reduction anyway.

Also, any other accesories I'd need with the fiberglass hood? Hood pins? Lighter hood openers? or is that stuff really not needed...

What (if any) prep work needs to be done to that VFN hood before painting it?

It is always recommended to use hood pins with a glass hood and I'll be looking for lighter weight hood struts.

As far as prep goes, I'm not sure how much these hoods will need. It looks very well made and I didn't see any waviness, etc. I also think it's a good idea to leave it unpainted for awhile to settle in.

BTW, you may be able to still take advantage of the Group purchase. It's about 100 bucks savings. TCCoA group purchase thread

Last edited:
Hey there .... quick question :

MarksM said:
I also think it's a good idea to leave it unpainted for awhile to settle in.
What do you mean by "settle-in" :confused: I just bought a Cervini hood for my '93 and it's in WHITE Gelcote. Since my car is BLACK, I am getting it painted as soon as possible, SEPARATELY, then I'll install it. Or ..... should I install it and drive for awhile? Why do you suggest either?? Experience?? Thanks for your opinion ... or ... educated answer!!!! :D

pin on means no hinges so you need a buddy to lift the hood, bolt on means it uses the factory hinge points.

do this, get the bolt on hood and buy some hood pins, I dont care what people say, if it wasnt DOT approved and sold with the hood from the factory, you WILL/SHOULD use hood pins, I've seen and heard of so many clowns :rolleyes: that just use the factory hood latch and have to write off the car due to the hood smacking the roof and causing several thousand $$$s of damage. Even the factory Mustangs in 94 had hood delaminating problems

ThunderTurkey said:
What do you mean by "settle-in" :confused: I just bought a Cervini hood for my '93 and it's in WHITE Gelcote. Since my car is BLACK, I am getting it painted as soon as possible, SEPARATELY, then I'll install it. Or ..... should I install it and drive for awhile? Why do you suggest either?? Experience?? Thanks for your opinion ... or ... educated answer!!!! :D

It's just something I was told a few long years ago. It may be one of those myths.

I'm gonna probably...

PLunk down the loot for the bolt on smooth one (I"m not running no crazy SuPa' ChArGaZ' under the hood) pretty soon. :p

It doens't look like there is enough for the 2nd GP yet on the TCCOA and I need to get this thing soon. Although, on the other hand I *could* wait a while as well. :rolleyes:

Now, as far as hood pins and lighter hood struts... where do I get em', what'll they cost and how do I install the hood pins? (do they come with instructions?) :confused:

Deep6 said:
Now, as far as hood pins and lighter hood struts... where do I get em', what'll they cost and how do I install the hood pins? (do they come with instructions?) :confused:
I was thinkin the SAME thing! Ya DON'T wanna be DRILLIN just ANY place on the hood! On the OTHER hand ..... I remember a car I saw once that had a bicycle lock-chain as insurance against pop-up AND theft!! Ya know, those chains that are coated in neoprene with a cylinder combination lock attached? Somehow, it was threaded through the hood and down around the support bracket. Pop the hood normally, and it lifted just enough to work the combination and free the hood! Mebbe I'll look into it! :D

Back