1/4 mile times slow why???

ZOOMBUGGY3

whats up guys. its been a few months since i posted on the boards. i got a problem with my car and hopeing some one can help me out with it or point me in the right direction.

last year i went to the track all summer and could only run 14.89 at best and i knew the car could go faster but it felt like something was holding it back.

now this year i added my custom front mounted intercooler with the 3" pipes, raised sc top, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 75mm throttle body, 76mm c&l maf, and relocated the filter in the fender well. raced it and could not break into the 14's at all beacuse i had major traction problems.

all my mods are listed below in my signature.
i am still runing the stock fuel injectors could i be maxing them babeis out and maybe need to up grade.

well....

ZOOMBUGGY3 said:
whats up guys. its been a few months since i posted on the boards. i got a problem with my car and hopeing some one can help me out with it or point me in the right direction.

last year i went to the track all summer and could only run 14.89 at best and i knew the car could go faster but it felt like something was holding it back.

now this year i added my custom front mounted intercooler with the 3" pipes, raised sc top, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 75mm throttle body, 76mm c&l maf, and relocated the filter in the fender well. raced it and could not break into the 14's at all beacuse i had major traction problems.

i am still runing the stock fuel injectors could i be maxing them babeis out and maybe need to up grade.

Well how warm was it when you went and what were the conditions? When I went, My times varied from 15.8's to 14.8's. Depending on how hot my engine was, how hot the track was, and if the sun was beating down to heat the air up. Theres a lot to factor in.

well when i ran the 14.89 last year it was steaming hot out side.

and this year so far its been nice and cool out

ZOOMBUGGY3 said:
well when i ran the 14.89 last year it was steaming hot out side.

and this year so far its been nice and cool out
uhh....not to be a dink or anything, but you didn't perchance gain ALOT of weight between track visits did you?? like...3....4 hundred pounds??? cuz that would do it :D

Jason Wild said:
this is the key to your slower times that will not help your times at all.
yeah he's right...it's all about the launch and getting minimal wheel spin, i would sugjest a pair of slicks, or if you can't afford profile tires, slicks, or some sort of very sticky tire, try burning out for 15...20 seconds before lining up, that should get you a little more grip

Like David said....You need to compare your MPH from before and after to really see if you are making more or less power. This becomes even more important when you have spinning tires and a 5-speed. ET can change dramatically with just a little more tire spin or a slow shift.

A 15-20 second burnout?? In street tires?? :eek:

When I first started racing at the track, and all I had was street hides, Mike Albee told me to avoid the water box and turn them over just a couple of revolutions to clean them off. Then when I was on the line I would hold the brake and bring the rpms up to just below the point where the tires started to break loose.

With this method and a stock 95 SC I hit a personal best of 15.146 @ 91.16-If I had been running slicks and a set of 3.55s I could have done better than that.

litemup no i did not gain weight from last year.

dave neibert i dont have the slips in front of me right now but if i remember right they are a little slower then last year.

jason wild your right i know that wheel spin does not help but im starting to think that i might be max out the stock injectors i feel that with the mods i have i should be faster then what i am.

liteemup i was racing with my street tires 255-50-17's and i only spin them enough to clean them.

ZOOMBUGGY3 said:
litemup no i did not gain weight from last year.

dave neibert i dont have the slips in front of me right now but if i remember right they are a little slower then last year.

jason wild your right i know that wheel spin does not help but im starting to think that i might be max out the stock injectors i feel that with the mods i have i should be faster then what i am.

liteemup i was racing with my street tires 255-50-17's and i only spin them enough to clean them.
I have traction problems too (from doing too many 15-20 sec. burnouts :rolleyes: ) I lower my street tires to 15psi (rear) and i'll do one long burnout to soften the tires. then the tires will be sticky the rest of the night and i only do short burnouts to get the rocks off of them. long burnouts do nothing but heatsoak your IC and engine.

60 ft. times and mph will tell you if it's traction, the power you're making, or a combination. You've changed so many things since last year it could be more than one thing. You could have leaks. How much boost are you making now?

Kurt

yeah haha, i forgot to menchen the long burnouts are only good if u got the money to replace tires every week haha. But i usually do a long one at the beggining then short ones afterwards, at the 1/8 mile track we cycle through people pretty quick, so you get to race every few minutes. So the tires stay sticky for quite a few races

Burn outs on Street Tires

Long burnouts on street tires is not going to help the launch. When you heat a street tire it releases some of its natural oils, making the tire slick, not sticky. In addition the loss of these oils causes premature ageing on the tire, it will get hard and cracked a lot sooner than normal. A "burnout" on the street tires is only to make sure that they are clean and dry, nothing more.

Dave

ZOOMBUGGY3 said:

Dumb question, but no one has asked it yet and it's not listed in your mods. do you have a tune? From looking at your mods, without a tune, you are more than likely running lean...if you've had these mods for a time now, you may be prematurely aging your spark plugs (i.e. melting them). I ran into that issue last year for me...baseline run before mods...15.0..add a few mods...15.2...add some more mods...15.5...turned out to be BAD plugs. They had gapped to nearly .080 and with my mods, I was blowing out what spark was there. Got new plugs, got a tune and now am much faster.

Just going back to the basics, since it isn't listed.

xr7kurt i dont have my time slips in front of me right now.i know i dont have any leaks at all in the tubes. it took me a year in the making to make this custom front mount intercooler. and all testing with the tube were done to 30 psi.oh yah im runing about 10-11psi in boost.

i know about long burn outs on street tires relaes oils from tire. i only give them a quick spin just to clean them.

007-supercoupe if you are talking about a eec tuner no i dont have one. i do how ever have a air/fuel ratio guage on order so i can adjust the fuel pressure right. and *** far as the spark plugs i just changed them about 2 months ago. and the ones that i tok out were not melt they had normal wear and tear. they were in the car for about 2 years.

No, I'm not talking an EEC tuner. I really don't think that you can manage too much with those, just because of the inherent limitations that they have. I was actually refering to an SCT chip.

Running 10-11 lbs of boost actually sounds like you are simply running out of supercharger. I don't have your mods in front of me now...anything done to the sc as far as porting goes?

I've actually seen a highly modded SC dyno about the same that I did with stock heads and cam, because there was not enough supercharger. A quick switch to an MPII and he was pulling 50 rwhp more than me then. Just another thought.

What are you typically running for A/F ratio? Just curious...another piece of the puzzle to see what's going on.

007-supercoupe so the chip that they sell on supercoupe performance is better then the eec tuner?
and your saying im runing out of superchager because i was runing only 10-11 psi. i lost about 1-2psi when i installed the custom intercooler. no i dont have any porting done to the blower. i had to put my spare blower back on the car this winter.from when i did the timming chain cover gasket. i had a stock 89 blower all ported out but i cracked the case when i tried to reseal it.what happen was that the bolt hidrolocked when i was putting them back in i didnot realize that their was still some of the old silicon in the bolt holes. i plan on getting another bloer soon and porting it out.
i dont know what the air/fuel ratio is at right now i have a meter on order it should arive today some time.
do you think i should run a 10% pulley?

A properly tunes SCT chip is much better than an EEC tuner. The SCT program can get to many tables that the EEC tuner can't. Kind of like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. It doesn't really help it a lot.

I got another look at your mods...with ported heads (to what extent I'm not sure...oversized valves?) you may be running out of supercharger. One thing that I would definately check is for vacuum leaks. Basically you cap off the pcv valve and the crank case vent, then pressurize the intake system from just behind the filter. Check every joint with soapy water. I'd pressurize it to 20 psi, checking for leaks every 5 psi. That will find any and all leaks. That is the only way that I check for vacuum leaks on my SC. Most don't show up under vacuum conditions and starter fluid.

I don't think that you should go with a 10% until you check for vacuum leaks. Once you ensure that there are no leaks, then you can look at a smaller pulley.

And you definately need a tune to be running at optimal conditions. I personally recommend that you have Dave Dalke do the tuning. I had him tune my car with excellent results. He definately knows his stuff.

the heads are ported and stock vavles. ill pressure test the system the way you told me.
i got my air/fuel ratio today so i can adjuste the fuel pressure the way the car needs it.
so what do you think about fuel injectors 42lbs out of a lincoln mark viii.
and would you recomend a 5% or a 10% pulley?

does dave dalke makes the custom chips. and what if i get a chip and i do more mods will that mean i need another chip after that

Back