Changing out seat belts from later sc

kenewagner

Can I swap out the junk automatic seat belts in my 93 for seat belts out of a 94, 95? Would it be just as easy to find a stock thuderbird in the junk yard and take out the side panels and belt system? Im sure this has ben brought up before somewhere but I havent had time to research it.

Ken

You can DO IT!

I just did what you're talking of doing in my 93. Its not as hard as it may seem. On the seat the buckle portions are different since the lap belt isn't needed on the newer interior. These are easy to swap...just held onto the seat frame with 2 10mm bolts.

As for the rest of the project, you will need all the trim pieces for both sides. Obviously the rear panels for the seat belts and also the pillar trim since the auto belt is no longer going to be there...without it it will leave a gap.

All mounting points are already in place accept 1, that being the top mounting point for the seat belts....you will understand what I mean when you get there. I just drilled a hole a bit smaller than the bolt and let the bolt tap its way into the metal.

If you have any hang ups, let me know. Oh and if you need some pictures look for my thread on the interior swap.

-Tim

Ken - Check out this thread over on TCCoA. Rod/racecougar did that in his 90 Cougar. I've thought about doing the same thing - I just haven't done it yet.

Also - I believe Candian MN12's don't have the automatic seatbelts if you can find someone parting out a 'Bird from Canada. Don't hold me to this though - I'm not 100% sure on this.

-Melon

Also - did you get the fan? I dropped it off last night.. just making sure it made it from your son to you :D

Tim Groth said:
All mounting points are already in place accept 1, that being the top mounting point for the seat belts....you will understand what I mean when you get there. I just drilled a hole a bit smaller than the bolt and let the bolt tap its way into the metal.

Tim,

That really doesn't sound safe at all. That upper mount takes a large amount of force in an accident. That bolt could easily pull right out of the sheetmetal in an accident. You might want to check out my solution to that problem in the writeup I did over at tccoa. Melon posted a link to it above.

Melon,

You are correct, 89-93 Canadian MN12's came with the manual seatbelts.

-Rod

Back