too hot?

crusader40

finally some nice weather, and all of a sudden a bit of problems or not...? in alll this hot weather , my car engine seems to be getting quite hot, and a couple times would not turnover, but after a few minutes it will, it seems to begin to heat up tons when i am waiting with the car running for a while...i don't think this should be happening but maybe i am wrong the engine temp meter goes down once i start moving, but i was wondering if anyone could help me out don't want to do serious damage
PS. i saw your car grantster, thats a clean looking car man, i love it :cool:

not good

when it is idleing and really hot have a look in the antifreeze tank .look for any action like bubbles or maybe it seems overfull. Are you having to add antifreeze but can't find a leak ! try to change the thermostat and see if that helps.the thermostat could be binding or is stuck only partially open .keep an eye on the engine oil if it seems to get fuller you need to know this . i would suspect the head gaskets are failing! but by knowing this you can find the signs first,before you come unglued.. running the engine with antifreeze in the combustion chamber or in the oil, can be very expensive!!! drive it only enough to verify the gaskets are ok then it could mean the cooling system is not functioning correctly. maybe plugged up .the rads were never big enough from new. keep an eye on it !!! to be safe suspect the worsed !!! :eek:

Get it checked

well i only have 88xxx clicks so, i hope it is not the gaskets, but do you think i should go get it looked at at my mechanic?

yes get it checked

crusader40 said:
well i only have 88xxx clicks so, i hope it is not the gaskets, but do you think i should go get it looked at at my mechanic?
i would get it checked before it creates damage. also does the car blow cold air with the heater on , at idle and really hot as you have discribed?

Back