Abs Unit

ROCSC

I need one.

Got diagnostics check at Ford where Ed works and they said that the motor crapped out

So, do you think I should get a used on or pay the hefty price of getting a reman done from prior??

Any replies would be appreciated, just need some input

And if you know anyone that has a unit please let me know

I NEED BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockie bite the bullet and get the reman from Priorman. Getting a used one is really taking a chance. The newest used one is going to be 10 years old from a 92 already, if you can find one.

I lucked out my accumulator decided to hit the death throws Sunday night. Two pumps and the ABS and BRAKE light are on. I asked Ryan if I could borrow his from his 90 while it is being torn apart until I order one from Priorman. For some reasos this baby is like brand new, it must have been replaced at some point from Ford. 10-12 pumps before the BRAKE and ABS light come on.

ABS unit Assy.

Found one here in B.C.The guy is asking $680.00CDN.If the price is to high,don't ask me cause i'm just trying to help a fellow SC'rs.Later.

Les, the ABS and brake lights aren't supposed to come on at all unless you have the brake up or the ABS in engaged.

Even if you push it 8-10 times at a stand still, the lights should never come on. There must be something else wrong.

Steve one of the checks you make is can you depress the pedal KOEO(key on engine off) at a bare minimum of 4-5 times before the lights come on. Even that means your accumulator is on the edge of wearing out, mine got to the point that after 2 pumps the lights came on. This one is at least 10-12 pumps, maybe a brand new one like yours never comes on. I'm not at all worried about this one.
When I first got the Cougar I was able to do 4-5 pumps, it got worse after a year and change and I have never ever had any problems even in an emergency HARD stop.

Last edited:
Les....you have the procedure correct, but your lights are not supposed to come on. The motor should activate. Peroid. The lights come on to show you there are errors in the system.

Whey I got my SC 2 years ago, neither of the lights ever came on. Same with the XR7, lights never come on. I asked my friend with the red SC and his never come on as well when he's just pressing the pedal to test the accumulator pressure.

Here's an blurb from Larry Grigg's ABS doc:

Most likely this is indication of a weak or bad Accumulator. If you have this symptom it is important to fix it as soon as you can because you are cycling the Hydraulic Pump Motor unnecessarily which will cause this high buck part to fail sooner than it needs to.

Red Brake Light comes on when accelerating or braking or going around a corner hard.

Probably your brake fluid level is a tad low. Angles and dangles on the car are causing it to pick up the level sensor. Make sure your system is pressurized when you check / add fluid since the Accumulator will "store" an appreciable amount of fluid. This will cause the level to go down as the system is pressurized at start up. Where did the fluid go you might ask? Assuming you have no leaks it probably is as a result of the brake pads in your calipers wearing. As they wear more fluid is required to keep the caliper pistons maintained in the proper position for braking action

A possible solution why your lights are coming on....might be the accumulator does work well most of the time, but drops in pressure occasionally to give you the warning lights:

From Larry Griggs:
There are two failure modes that cause the ABS light and the BRAKE light to come on. The first type are transient errors and the second are permanent errors that will only reset after a power cycle. The transient errors are typically pressure related and are caused by:
· Pressure drop below 140 bar ( ABS light)
· Pressure drop below 110 bar (ABS and/or BRAKE light).
· Overheating (pump runs continuously, ABS and/or BRAKE light).
· Low brake fluid level

Steve

Back