Thread: Blower Snout Seal Replacement

Latitude: 41.909147 Longitude: -72.450263

Blower Snout Seal Replacement

** SOLD **
    I have an new Blower Snout Seal if anyone is interested. I got two when I did the job and I'm sure I won't be needing it. Part Number is CR7968 $16.00 pluse shipping. With the seal I'll include how I removed and installed the seal without removing the coolant tub.

So...
    I just replaced the snout oil seal on my 90 SC's blower, refilled it with GM fluid. and went on the a 50 mile drive. When I got back the blower was still full of fluid and the entire outside of the blower was dry as a bone.

I'm not an automotive mechanic but I do have a mechanical background. I use to assemble and disassemble nuclear weapons and worked several years running a Vertical Turret Lathe.

I was able to do the job without pulling off the coolant outlet pipe using a small three armed gear/pulley puller that I picked up from the Ocean State Job Lot for $4.00. What a find that was. Also, I couldn't have found the correct parts without reading through the history here. I Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted the part numbers. There's a good group here. I ended up trying the oil seal "Chicago Rawhide 7965". I just happen to have one from a different kit that I never used. Don't use this part. This seal looked totally different from the original and had a single lip. When I installed it the rubber lip caught on the shaft and tore when seating it past the clip grove. The metal retainer came off and was seated on the shaft. I ended up ordering the Chicago Rawhide 7968 from a local bearing shop who had to source the part from a warehouse in Nevada. Three days later I had it. This seal is double lipped and was a perfect fit.

Now that Iíve accomplished this, Iím going install a 10% blower pulley with a steal idler pulley. Boost up!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rickbtbird; 07-09-2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: SOLD THE KIT

I'm very interested in the kit you have and if no one has claimed it yet - I do!! Shipping address is zip code 10573 in NY.

Please email me about this kit at MSG419@aol.com.

Thanks,
    Mark

It's really not a kit. It's the front nose seal and some instructions to disamble the snout without having to take off the coolant pipe. You can get a set of three gear/pulley pullers off of ebay for under $25.00
    Shipping to your zip code would be about $3.00.
    I can do paypal if you have an account or certified check.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG419
    I'm very interested in the kit you have and if no one has claimed it yet - I do!! Shipping address is zip code 10573 in NY.

Please email me about this kit at MSG419@aol.com.

Thanks,
    Mark

I can get two more seals Monday if anybody is interested. I'll also send a detailed doc explaining how I replaced mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbtbird
    ** SOLD **
    I have an new Blower Snout Seal if anyone is interested. I got two when I did the job and I'm sure I won't be needing it. Part Number is CR7968 $16.00 pluse shipping. With the seal I'll include how I removed and installed the seal without removing the coolant tub.

So...
    I just replaced the snout oil seal on my 90 SC's blower, refilled it with GM fluid. and went on the a 50 mile drive. When I got back the blower was still full of fluid and the entire outside of the blower was dry as a bone.

I'm not an automotive mechanic but I do have a mechanical background. I use to assemble and disassemble nuclear weapons and worked several years running a Vertical Turret Lathe.

I was able to do the job without pulling off the coolant outlet pipe using a small three armed gear/pulley puller that I picked up from the Ocean State Job Lot for $4.00. What a find that was. Also, I couldn't have found the correct parts without reading through the history here. I Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted the part numbers. There's a good group here. I ended up trying the oil seal "Chicago Rawhide 7965". I just happen to have one from a different kit that I never used. Don't use this part. This seal looked totally different from the original and had a single lip. When I installed it the rubber lip caught on the shaft and tore when seating it past the clip grove. The metal retainer came off and was seated on the shaft. I ended up ordering the Chicago Rawhide 7968 from a local bearing shop who had to source the part from a warehouse in Nevada. Three days later I had it. This seal is double lipped and was a perfect fit.

Now that Iíve accomplished this, Iím going install a 10% blower pulley with a steal idler pulley. Boost up!!

Don't crash into a tree just to avoid a skunk!