The Best Exhaust System

Super XR7 said:
Here are some pictures of my new ss exhuast. Basic layout is long tube headers into a duel 2.5" - X pipe with wide band O2 sensor for engine management - magnaflow resonator - dynomax super turbos - exit out the side into 3" tips. We cut thru the frame and added a 3.5" tube which was welded at all seams. Car goes to the painter next. Can't wait to hear it!

Mike,

That looks cool !!

BTW, how is it that the bottom side of your car looks cleaner/newer than the top side of mine ?

David

Micahdogg said:
My philosophy has been that if you are merging two pipes into one...why split it back out? I've got dual 2.5 compression bent tubes coming from the headers (no cats) and into a single Magnaflow resonator. From there I'm running one single 3 inch pipe out back into one 16 inch turbo muffler. You save weight, cost of the build and I don't see the advantage to splitting it back out. I would think the ideal set up would be two 2.5's (or mandrel 2.25's) into a huge 3.5 inch pipe and dump it out back.

Micah

I would tend to agree, but like the look of duals and would be curious to know how yours sounds -how do you like it?

JJP

David Neibert said:
Mike,

That looks cool !!

BTW, how is it that the bottom side of your car looks cleaner/newer than the top side of mine ?

David
Dave, it's hard to get the bottom dirty when its in the garage on jack stands. Working on going to the shoot out and looking very forward to it. Are you bringing the turbo car?
Mike Tuck

Super XR7 said:
Dave, it's hard to get the bottom dirty when its in the garage on jack stands. Working on going to the shoot out and looking very forward to it. Are you bringing the turbo car?
Mike Tuck

Mike,

Yes, I'm bringing the turbo car...well that's the plan anyway. If something goes wrong I'll bring the 91 and a couple bottles of nitrous.

David

hey guys basiclly wanting to know how this will sound, the same size piping as in the SCP exhaust, no cats or res and just flowmaster mufflers?

trife86 said:
hey guys basiclly wanting to know how this will sound, the same size piping as in the SCP exhaust, no cats or res and just flowmaster mufflers?

Without the resonator it will sound.... Farty.

David

Thats what I have. It sucks. The drone is always there and its very loud in the car. Not to mention that I have had to pull the mufflers off the car and weld license plates over the holes. Use a different muffler and dont skimp on the res.

Chris

right now i have no res with the flowmasters and a 3inch mid pipe. a little drone not much but it sounds good IMO but without cats and bigger pipe all around would get ricey?

my 94 has the flowmaster catback setup, it sucks.
my 92 has a SCP system, its way overpriced & sucked until it was redone.

Micheles 93 has a custom (2) 2.5"-(1)3"-(2) 2.5" setup, but whats different about it is it has a single 2-1 muffler center & small resonators in the rear where the mufflers should be.
Its a totaly smooth sound, no raspy, no resonance....not loud but a mild throaty sound.

Exhuast Pics

For those who emailed me about pictures, here are some. Note the one picture is where I added the tube to go thru the frame. The tube is perpendicular to the inside frame face.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 277
I just went from 40Series dual chamber Flowmasters to Dynomax Super Turbos and will never look back...I love the bass sound and no rice at any RPM range...The car is so much more pleasant to drive.

Brad

Holy balls...That looks really good. I mean REALLY good. I wanna see it from more angles too. Oh, you got a cell in the trunk or what?

Chris

Super XR7 said:
Finished product.

As soon as I get my hood painted, I start on my exhaust. Will be very close to yours. Great idea for a car with a cell. :) Thanks for the pictures.

Back