SCP roller rockers

5speedxr7

I just tryied ot bolt them on and they don't fit.
the first one i went to tourque it to the factory speck of 11ft/lbs
and the bolt snaped off before i even got to 11 ft/lbs, but odly enought the par tht broke off in the head turned out with my fingers so i got looking at the others and they center fulcrum is too tall, when its tightened down the rocker is loose when the vlave is closed and lifter is down.
so i tried one of the stock rockers and it blots down fine with no problems??????
whats up with this

When I installed mine it was a real pita. The pedestals all fit the heads differently and some fit better in different parts of the head then in other spots. I used a file and very slightly filed down the pedestals to make them fit,(some removing the paint was enough) there are different length pushrods available but getting them to fit in the cast aluminum heads is your first battle(to seat on the top of the head). What other mods do you have on your car? cam? The are definately not just a bolt on part.

Josh,

You bought yours from SCP???

I've heard of people having this problem with the rockers they bought from BTM, but not SCP. Do you have pictures of these? Do they have any brand-name embossed in them? Are they blue or gold annodized, or just normal machined aluminum?

...Just curious.

I've got a set of the BTM rockers that hopefully will be going on the car sometime this week.

Thanks,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
I've heard of people having this problem with the rockers they bought from BTM,

Please don't say things like that Sean, I got mine from BTM and haven't installed them yet. :rolleyes:

they are not the blue ones that are in the picture on the scp web site. they are scorpions. (i posted a pic in my previous Just Like Christmas post)
i think i got them messured and i was told to take an extra .035" off for preload so my dad is gonna take them over to one of his buddys to have the peddistals macheined. and it should be okay.
its just frusterating when you are told that they are a direct bolt in only to find out that they are not.
and the whole bolt breaking i don't know whats up with that

I would like to know how much exactly you had to take off because I have a set of the scorpions for my wifes car that will be going on soon. :D

5speedxr7 said:
they are not the blue ones that are in the picture on the scp web site. they are scorpions. (i posted a pic in my previous Just Like Christmas post)
i think i got them messured and i was told to take an extra .035" off for preload so my dad is gonna take them over to one of his buddys to have the peddistals macheined. and it should be okay.
its just frusterating when you are told that they are a direct bolt in only to find out that they are not.
and the whole bolt breaking i don't know whats up with that

Just remember, that once your mounting bolt makes contact with the rocker, you should have 1/3 to 3/4 turn to get to your proper torque. (the position of the torque wrench). More and you'll need a spacer, less you'll need more off the pedistal. When I had to do that to mine, 10 of the 12 were too tall, and only two of them measured the same. I took anywhere from .035" to .058" off the pedistals to make them fit properly.

And I was probably more frustrated than you...I had already had the same ones on my '89 SC with no problems. But to put them on the '92, I ran into problems. Needless to say, I've gotten pretty good at getting the valve covers off in a short amount of time!

Back