5% pulley with stock HG's

TealThunder

145K miles, with stock, 1993 factory head gaskets. According SCP, a 5% pulley wont harm the HG's... but I'm not sure. Anyone else run this combo?

Also using a stock Jackshaft (these things are like $300?!)

I'm assuiming I would need a new belt too, huh?

Its a COMPLETLY stock engine, (except removed silencer) with 5-speed.

Last edited:
Well, a removed silencer is not gonna be enough to save your headgaskets if you do go with a 5 percent SC pulley. You should at least do exhaust. If you do not, you are really at risk of blowing your HG's! I had a full exhaust done, no cats, and stainless steel magnaflows (2 mufflers and resonator) put on for 600 bucks, way cheaper than new HG's. I would at least get rid of, or get better flowing cats before you mess with the pulley.

I'm sure much more knowledgeable people than I will chime in soon to tell you the same.

Good luck!

i removed my cats and intalled a magnaflow resonator when i installed my 5% pulley, and my head gaskets lasted like a year or more , but they blew because my radiator cap was failing.

TealThunder said:
145K miles, with stock, 1993 factory head gaskets. According SCP, a 5% pulley wont harm the HG's... but I'm not sure. Anyone else run this combo?

Also using a stock Jackshaft (these things are like $300?!)

I'm assuiming I would need a new belt too, huh?

Its a COMPLETLY stock engine, (except removed silencer) with 5-speed.

The head gaskets are going to fail no matter what you do, IMO another 5% of overdrive isn't going to have much impact on how long they last. Stock belt is fine for 5%.

David

What David said. Your headgaskets are already shot. How fast do you want to do them in? Temperature is the #1 factor followed by detonation and lean AF mixtures. Exhaust back pressure is not your primary concern.

David Neibert said:
The head gaskets are going to fail no matter what you do, IMO another 5% of overdrive isn't going to have much impact on how long they last. Stock belt is fine for 5%.

David
I agree with David. I blew my head gaskets @ 92k with stock blower pulley and headers and 2.5" dual exhaust. I ran this set up for about 30k, so take it for what it is worth.
Good Luck
Ken

just make sure to do the exhaust. i took too long to get my exhaust done after i put on my 5%. my head gaskets are fine (well they blew for a different reason), but i blew an exhaust gasket because of the pulley. exhaust then pulley.

Back