Tranny problems

jleopold

Hey gang...

I'm new to the TBird family as of a few weeks ago. I have a 90' SC AOD. So I finally found what I think is the NorCal T-bird club but I don't know what's involved. Feel free to pass on any good info.

Okay... after 2 weeks of owning this car, I can't get into 3-4 gear. I had a local shop look at it and they said new tranny. What I want to know is how much should a new tranny cost or is there a common problem and fix out there ?

Thanks

:cool:

If you want my humble opinion I would get a Lentech or Art Carr...these trannys go out all the time they are in a word crap..so yes your problem is common...I'm assuming you did all the basics first like checked fluid levels...smelled the fluid for burnt smell...checked the TV cable...Your replacement cost is gonna vary from place to place and whether you are willing to do the install yourself (that alone can save a couple hundred)...I'm not sure what the job will run in Cali..you can get a good used one from time to time off the Parts For Sales forums we have here. Hope this helps. I would say get with some guys in the NoCal club and see if they can offer any specific help...or even a hand.. ;)

Rick

jleopold said:
Hey gang...

I'm new to the TBird family as of a few weeks ago. I have a 90' SC AOD. So I finally found what I think is the NorCal T-bird club but I don't know what's involved. Feel free to pass on any good info.

Okay... after 2 weeks of owning this car, I can't get into 3-4 gear. I had a local shop look at it and they said new tranny. What I want to know is how much should a new tranny cost or is there a common problem and fix out there ?

Thanks

Stock rebuild should cost around $1,200.

David

jleopold said:
Hey gang...

Thanks

I went through the same problem. I took it to a shop and they couldn't fix it. Two days later I pulled open the hood and found that the TV cable grommet was broken. I went to the Ford Dealer and it cost me about 1.88 for a new grommet. I installed it and re-attached the cable. Since then I haven't had a problem.

rickbtbird said:
I went through the same problem. I took it to a shop and they couldn't fix it. Two days later I pulled open the hood and found that the TV cable grommet was broken. I went to the Ford Dealer and it cost me about 1.88 for a new grommet. I installed it and re-attached the cable. Since then I haven't had a problem.
If the shop couldn't find something that obvious, don't ever go back there again! Every shop monkey with more than a years experience who's ever seen a Ford transmission knows what a TV cable is. My guess is they never even looked at it.

Last edited:
TbirdSCFan said:
If the shop couldn't find something that obvious, don't ever go back there again! Every shop monkey with more than a years experience who's ever seen a Ford transmission knows what a TV cable is. My guess is they never even looked at it.

Right, I don't go there anymore.

rickbtbird said:

You got lucky. Usually driving with the TV cable off will toast the clutch packs quicker than you could drive to the nearest shop.

David

David Neibert said:
You got lucky. Usually driving with the TV cable off will toast the clutch packs quicker than you could drive to the nearest shop.

David
Even lucker as I have three cars I can drive.

Back