Cooling in heat wave

92TBurnSC

Does anyone else's temp gauge ride on the "M" in NORM all the time, especially in this stupid heat wave we're having?

What's the best way, on a budget, to get this thing to run cooler? Does the Dex Cool stuff make a difference? What about anything else? I've checked and topped off the radiator coolant but still it just runs hot. Is this normal and is there something that can be done about it?

High atmospheric heat will make these cars run hotter but you add the high humidity that alot of the country has been experianceing lately and your problem is seriously compounded. High humidity reduces your rads ability to transfer the coolant heat to the atmosphere.
The area in the country I live in experiances that high humidity all summer long normaly. I've had visiters from places like Florida, Arizona and Nevada make comments like "My God how do you people breath here" because it gets so bad that it feels like theres no oxygen in the air.
Those conditions call for increased cooling capacity in your cooling system.
However sometimes the wallet dictates what can be done.

I'm usually in the mid to high 90's this time of year. My gauge will only go to M if i'm sitting in a drive through or something where there's no air flow. I can hear my fan kick on though and then watch the needle go down to O. I would be nervous if it stayed on M though. Make sure your fan is working properly.

92TBurnSC said:
Does anyone else's temp gauge ride on the "M" in NORM all the time, especially in this stupid heat wave we're having?

What's the best way, on a budget, to get this thing to run cooler? Does the Dex Cool stuff make a difference? What about anything else? I've checked and topped off the radiator coolant but still it just runs hot. Is this normal and is there something that can be done about it?
my junk yard three core radiator from pick a part " a amc matador radiator does it for me a 165 thermostat and fan on high all the time my temp gets to n in normal on 104 deg day 90% humidity,never hot I enjoy my $35 investment. oh yeah and taurus fan its smaller but blows more air.

I sympathize with ur problem....i'd get to it asap. IM one that worries when my needle points straight up...i guess between the "O" and teh "R". THAT to me is overheating. Im used to having the needle on or before/under the "N"...this gives me peace of mind. I have a 180* Robert Shaw themostat and I have hooked up both fan speeds to a switch and the pusher fan to a switch. In high 90* weather with the AC on and with ALL fans on the temp needle points straight up.....and sometimes creeps to be a little hotter when cruising at about 2500+ RPM's (+- 80mph with 3.73's). I was going to post for suggestions too but before I did i was going to try to flush my system and add some water wetter and see if that makes a difference.

I know a bigger capacity radiator would make hell of a difference, particularly if its an aluminum one like a griffin or one of the cusom made ones, but like you said $$ is the issue.

mannysc said:
my junk yard three core radiator from pick a part " a amc matador radiator does it for me a 165 thermostat and fan on high all the time my temp gets to n in normal on 104 deg day 90% humidity,never hot I enjoy my $35 investment. oh yeah and taurus fan its smaller but blows more air.

Manny, is the taurus fan a straight plug in?

NCredSC said:
Manny, is the taurus fan a straight plug in?
no the plug had to be changed I removed wires from clip and inserted them in sc plug took five minutes they slip into the plug clip have little prongs on each wire other than that yes easy switch over

I searched ebay for pics and came up with two styles. Which one did you get?
It looks like the first one would move a lot of air.
Looks like an easy inexpensive mod to help the cooling.

Attachments

• 1c_1_b.jpg
    1c_1_b.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 8b_1_b.jpg
    8b_1_b.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 95
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Just a couple more. How do you manually control fan speeds? And one of you mentioned that you have your fan rigged to a switch. How did you accomplish that?

I'm not mechanically inept (I can change my own oil and such), but I have never really had the opportunity/ability to work on my own car much so, though I can do what is laid out in front of me, I have a little trouble figuring it all out on my own.

Also, Manny, does the Taurus fan just bolt right on to the existing mounts, or did you have to make/drill new ones? I can handle the wiring part relatively easy, just wondering about the mounting of the fan itself. That sounds like a good idea overall.

Once again, thanks a lot for all your suggestions everybody.

mannysc said:
Yeah I read in an earlier post about you using the taurus rad fan so......I got one from the local junk yard fitted it to the old sc shroud and man does it ever move air!! My sc has never run cooler.even with the stock rad! that was a good tip Manny!!! :D

NCredSC said:
I searched ebay for pics and came up with two styles. Which one did you get?
It looks like the first one would move a lot of air.
Looks like an easy inexpensive mod to help the cooling.

The two I posted above were both listed as being from a taurus, but they are different. Which one did yours look like?

up top incredsc's post i removed fan and motor from taurus unit and mounted them in sc unit

I got idea from Les borda

Last edited:
mannysc said:
up top incredsc's post i removed fan and motor from taurus unit and mounted them in sc unit

I got idea from Les borda

What Manny said, I think. :D The pics are in post #8.

Back