347 turbo SC progess pics

I made over 700rwhp with a v8 (306) and 72lb/hr injectors turbocharged. I'm not leaning out at 6,300 rpm's..I cant however recall what my fuel pressure was at during my dyno runs. I havnt driven the car in awhile however whan it was on the road all was well

=p is just like =) or (c8 or any other smiley you can think of. Force of habbit I always put =p when I'm being stupid.

What are you doing with the rearend? Seems like when the Cobra guys start making huge power like you, they ditch the IRS.

speedfreak said:
What are you doing with the rearend? Seems like when the Cobra guys start making huge power like you, they ditch the IRS.

I'm going to try keeping the stock IRS. With an automatic they don't usually get wheel hop and seem to be very durable. If something breaks it will most likely happen when it's at full boost on the 1-2 shift.

I am going with a much stronger drive shaft and using the MN12 Performance poly diff bushings.

David

I guess the combination of the turbo with an automatic would be about the least shock to the drivetrain on launch- Not like a hard hitting nitrous or all motor car. That motor must rap up pretty tight if you were using an EFI spider intake with that larger open plenum upper when it was NA. What rearend gears are you using?..........by the way, I gotta say that thing is shaping up to be the baddest frickin thunderbird I've ever seen.

speedfreak said:
I guess the combination of the turbo with an automatic would be about the least shock to the drivetrain on launch- Not like a hard hitting nitrous or all motor car. That motor must rap up pretty tight if you were using an EFI spider intake with that larger open plenum upper when it was NA. What rearend gears are you using?..........by the way, I gotta say that thing is shaping up to be the baddest frickin thunderbird I've ever seen.

I'm using the stock 3.27 gears so it will put more load on the turbo and clear the traps without hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear.

Yes I think your right about the turbo being softer off than line than launching it with nitrous. Since I've been launching from and idle with a 100 shot of nitrous, 3.73 gears and a 2700-2800 stall with some very sticky M/T ET drags on my 91 for a couple years without breaking anything, I think it will be okay.

Using the 3.27 gears will place more of the load on the drive shaft and less on the halfshafts than the 3.73s I'm using in my 91. I will also be using tires that shouldn't grip as well, so I'm hoping the tires will spin before breaking the halfshafts.

I'm going to try launching off the foot brake to build a little boost, but if that doesn't work the MSD Digital 6 plus ignition I'm using has a two stage rev limiter that should make it build a few more pounds of boost for a harder launch. I suspect it's going to spin the drag radials just using the footbrake, so the two stage won't really be necessary unless racing with real slicks.

Running normally aspirated it didn't start making any power until about 4500 rpms, then by 4800 rpms the stock SC exhaust choked it. It's a real lousy combo for normally aspirated, but the big manifold and heads should respond very well to the turbo.

David

David Neibert said:
I am going with a much stronger drive shaft and using the MN12 Performance poly diff bushings.

David

David,

Why aren't you using the aluminum differential bushings for our cars? I am sure that they would hold up alot better to all the power that you will be putting out compared to the poly ones you have, plus they are the same price practically. I have had them in my 35th for well over a year now and have never had one complaint about them at all.

Shane

quick35th said:
David,

Why aren't you using the aluminum differential bushings for our cars? I am sure that they would hold up alot better to all the power that you will be putting out compared to the poly ones you have, plus they are the same price practically. I have had them in my 35th for well over a year now and have never had one complaint about them at all.

Shane

Shane,

Of all the parts I've had problems with or broken on my SC, the diff was not one of them. If not for the fact that a guy who no longer owns an SC sold me the bushing set at 1/2 price, I would just use the stock ones. BTW, I didn't even know they made aluminum bushings.

David

PS: I'm more likely to upgrade the brakes than to do any suspension mods.

quick35th said:
David, will you give me a ride in your turbo bird?

Shane

I bet he could make some good cash if he charged $20 per ride, that could help recoupe the cost of this monster!

Dave, all I can say is DAMN :eek:

That should pretty much scare anyone!!!

That scaring comment kinda reminded me of a girl from high school....
I knew this girl who's dad ran a 80 Mustang with a 460, it ran mid 10s at the time, before he bolted up the nitrous I don't know if he ever broke into the 9s??? Anyways, one night at test and tune, he let her drive it, and when he asked her if it scared her, she said no :eek: So he told her she couldn't drive it no mo' :mad: He said it scared him every time he went down the track, and it was dangerous not to respect that kind of power! But there again, that chick was crazy....

OK, I'll shut up now, but that is one badass bird!!!

Back