• Super Glue

6 5.31%
  • Other

7 6.19%

Thread: What Compound are ou using on your DIS Module

Hybrid View

Latitude: 41.909147 Longitude: -72.450263

What Compound are you using on your DIS Module

What Compound are you using on the bottom of your DIS Module?

If you read the Chilton Manual it says to use silicone dielectric grease
    If you read around here some say to use heat sink compound and others say to use the dielectric.
    Last edited by rickbtbird; 08-13-2005 at 04:46 AM.

Don't crash into a tree just to avoid a skunk!

just 4 people..hmmm..

Are you sure it doesn't say silicone grease? If it says silicone dielectric grease it's WRONG!

Jeff

What ever came in the box when i bought my new one, all i know it was white. Although the though of super glue does sound good.......

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by J57ltr
    Are you sure it doesn't say silicone grease? If it says silicone dielectric grease it's WRONG!

Jeff
    Well there must be a major discrepancy somewhere but both of my Chilton manuals say the same thing.
    • Book 26760 says on page 2-16 and in figure 41 "Note: Apply a uniform coating of SILICONE DIELECTRIC COMPOUND to the bottom surface of ignition control module assembly". It even shows the blower in the picture.
    • Book 7919 says on page 15-5 under Ignition Module Step 4, "Apply and even coating of silicone dielectric compound to the mounting surface of the module'.

Does anybody have a FORD service manual to see what it says there? The Hayne’s book doesn't specify any compound.

Interesting I have a 26760 Manual.

Mine shows a pic on page 2-15 Fig. 34

And on the same page under removal and installation it has:

To install:

4. Apply a uniform coat of about 1/32in. (0.08mm) or silicone dielectric compound to the mounting surface of the ignition module.

This is EXACTLY what mine has and what the heck do they mean by "or"? Did they leave out something?

I also had a Haynes manual that listed the firing order wrong on the coil pack.

Just because it is in a book doesn't make it true.

I don't have any numbers for the thermal resistance of spark plug grease, but since heatsinking it's not it's intended purpose I am going to figure that it is not that great.

I don't think anyone here has numbers on how hot the DIS module gets on it's own, that is without any external heating sources. Who knows maybe it doesn't need a heatsink afterall.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by J57ltr
    Interesting I have a 26760 Manual.

Mine shows a pic on page 2-15 Fig. 34

And on the same page under removal and installation it has:

To install:

4. Apply a uniform coat of about 1/32in. (0.08mm) or silicone dielectric compound to the mounting surface of the ignition module.

This is EXACTLY what mine has and what the heck do they mean by "or"? Did they leave out something?

I also had a Haynes manual that listed the firing order wrong on the coil pack.

Just because it is in a book doesn't make it true.

I don't have any numbers for the thermal resistance of spark plug grease, but since heatsinking it's not it's intended purpose I am going to figure that it is not that great.

I don't think anyone here has numbers on how hot the DIS module gets on it's own, that is without any external heating sources. Who knows maybe it doesn't need a heatsink afterall.

Jeff
    That's really wacky.. but the first page of my Chiltion says it was published by Haynes North America. Both book have a drawing of the Distributorless V6 system.
    • Ignition System Firring Order: 1-4-2-5-3-6
    • coil pack.. see pic
      (1) (2) (3)
      (5) (6) (4)
    Last edited by rickbtbird; 08-10-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbtbird View Post
    Well there must be a major discrepancy somewhere but both of my Chilton manuals say the same thing.
    • Book 26760 says on page 2-16 and in figure 41 "Note: Apply a uniform coating of SILICONE DIELECTRIC COMPOUND to the bottom surface of ignition control module assembly". It even shows the blower in the picture.
    • Book 7919 says on page 15-5 under Ignition Module Step 4, "Apply and even coating of silicone dielectric compound to the mounting surface of the module'.

Does anybody have a FORD service manual to see what it says there? The Hayne’s book doesn't specify any compound.
    Ford Manual page 23-04-07
    Apply a uniform coating of heatsink grease ESF-M99G123A or equivalent to the mounting surface of the DIS module. Install module and tighten bolts to 2.5-3.5 N-M ( 22-31 lb-in).

-Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kpatton View Post
    Ford Manual page 23-04-07
    Apply a uniform coating of heatsink grease ESF-M99G123A or equivalent to the mounting surface of the DIS module. Install module and tighten bolts to 2.5-3.5 N-M ( 22-31 lb-in).

-Keith
    Thanks, I came to that conclusion myself about a year ago.