• Petroleum Jelly

2 1.77%
  • Super Glue

6 5.31%
  • Other

7 6.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Compound are ou using on your DIS Module

picked up white heat sink stuff from Radio shack. Works o.k.

Latitude: 41.909147 Longitude: -72.450263
    Dielectric grease is a non-conductive grease. Because it is non-conductive it does not enhance the flow electrical current. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. However, dielectric grease is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly ones which contain rubber gaskets, as a way to provide a non-conductive lubricant and sealer for the rubber portions of the connector.

The widest use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are in located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected.

Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the non-conductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector.

Don't crash into a tree just to avoid a skunk!

I have seen a guy put dielectric grease on one after I specifically told him heat sink compound and then the car would not start. I looked into my computer stuff found a pack of heat sink compound and wiped the grease off and redid it. It ran just fine after that.
    Alan

I use something similar to this...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3....tsrc=Redirect

It's not made by 3M, and can't for the life of me remember who it's made by, but we use it here @ work for thermal transfer in a vacuum chamber. Completely insulates electrically, but had no problem w/ car starting or running. It even fixed the car stalling in the parking lot here at work and just seems like the idle is stronger too...

Quote Originally Posted by TvilleTbird View Post
    we use it here @ work for thermal transfer in a vacuum chamber.
    The pedestal is hotter (which is one reason why the DIS was moved off it in later models) - why would you add anything that aids heat transfer upwards into the DIS...

Latitude: 41.909147 Longitude: -72.450263
    Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    The pedestal is hotter (which is one reason why the DIS was moved off it in later models) - why would you add anything that aids heat transfer upwards into the DIS...
    I had a 90 and I still have a 95. DIS were a lot more troublesome on the 90 for sure but, if you did the correct setup with the correct compound, the problems were minimal.

Don't crash into a tree just to avoid a skunk!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbtbird View Post
    I had a 90 and I still have a 95. DIS were a lot more troublesome on the 90 for sure

I think some of the newer DISs for the early cars help overall.

Cool

I use anti seize compound. Works great.......