POTENTIAL WEB SCAM!

ld91

Email: allenmax0052@yahoo.ca

Comments:

There is a guy on this web site that is trying to con people i have a supercoupe for salle he e-mailed me and led me or tryed to lead me to believe he was going to buy the car only problem is i;m asking $500.00 for the car and he was going to send me $3000.00 and i was to pay for the shipping out of the extra money and keep $100.00 for my troubles well guess what when i started asking questions he hassent e-mailed me any more thats been 5 days ago so beware thought everyone would like to know i still have the car lol thanks LD :eek:

Hey hey buddy, its not a potential scam. I had a check sent to me for 6000.00 NO JOKE. I still have it, i called the bank to let me know if the check would clear and they told me no. Haha, i knew about it halfway through so i played with the guy telling him i would have to meet him and make sure the check cleared and after that i never got an email again. But i have a fake check for $6,000.00

jOe

This scam has been around for years. I have seen it alot selling stuff on ebay. Basically how it works is that they ask you to receive a check or money order for the item, take out item cost, and shipping charges, and send them the extra cash, along with the item. By the time your bank lets you know that the check or money order they sent you is bogus, they have your item for free and some cash to boot. Alot of them will also say that they will arrange for pickup of the item and cash though an outside shipping company.

Scam

Some guy tried that when I was selling a turbo coupe. I already had heard of the scam. Just ignored him. I hear usually it's people from out of the country trying to pull this. I've seen it a lot on Ebay too.

Last edited:
scam

I got hit with the same thing. These people seem to just surf sites .. all sites looking for people selling stuff. I had puppies posted for sale on the Am Staff network & had a guy email me with basically the same MO....once i told him my husband was a cop & his buddies at the precinct said i should ask certain questions, the guy stopped emailing me

thats funny,,,

i had the same thing happen to me,, i threw a price of $3500 for mine, and he agreed to buy it, but he had to send me a check for $10,000 that i would take out my cut, and western union the remain $6500 to the shipping agent and then they would arrange for my car to be picked, up... well after a few weeks went by andl my wife called me on my cell and told me to drive careful on my way home from work cause she had the check in hand... well when i went to the bank they asked me if i still had my car...i told them yes, and they said good, cause the check was bogus.....

i still have the check and i even contacted the FBI like the bank had suggested...well they told me there wasn't any thing they could do...

Well the guys name was Ken Owens incase anyone is contacted by this person....but i am sure that wasn't his real name.....

SCTIM said:
Well the guys name was Ken Owens incase anyone is contacted by this person....but i am sure that wasn't his real name.....

Kenneth Owens is the guy who contacted me when my 92 was forsale.

jOe

I've heard of this scam, but what I wonder is, Does it ever work? I mean is there anyone who would actually ship the merchandise without cashing the check first? If anyone paid me by check for anything, I would cash it at the bank it is drawn on, not my own bank, before parting with my car or whatever I was selling.

blaaah, it's not only on this web site, its on many

There's a website for micro sprints (racecars) http://www.microracing.com there are so many scammers trying to buy things off of us... they are from over seas... i had started to follow through with it, thinking there was a possibility of having him caught... but no chance, they use random computers and payphones.

the guy sent me a check for 5 grand, for a set of Honda F3 carbs. set up for alcohol, that i was only selling for $400.

you can tell if it's a scam by how they type...their english is HORRIBLE

I too have seen this scam. I had an Eagle Talon I sold on Ebay last summer. The buy it now was set @ $700 but I had a guy contact me stating he would arrange for his own shipping and wanted me to western union the over balance back. He sent me 3 us postal money orders for $950.00 each. I had never heard of this scam but a couple things caught my attention. First of all the guy was suposedly swedish but his name on the money orders was Mark Smith. Second, they were not international money orders, and why 3 instead of 1. Finally, the Ben Franklin watermark looked like a cartoon character. I took them to the post office instead of my bank where my suspicion was confirmed. Lucky for me, I was still able to sell the car to a very nice person in Louisiana.

Not all Canucks are Crooks

oh yea..get a load of this one. this is pretty good also. i WILL NEVER buy or sell to or from anyone outside of these UNITED STATES of AMERICA!! especially canada.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=90495

Now I understand scammers can come from all backgrounds inside and outside of the USA. I myself am located in Canada and am vouching for the good buyers up here. On ebay I often ask US only sellers if they would be willing to ship to Canada before I bid and receive the same prejudice due to previous negative experiences. I also try and reassure them with my positive record on ebay as well as my verified status with Paypal. If a transaction is done right (NOT with Western Union), is done on your terms using secure payment methods, and doesn't seem to good to be true, then I don't think you should outright deny selling to anyone outside of the USA. Especially us good Canadian folk. We need auto parts too! :D

Back