How many of you guys are in this for the long haul

I've had my 89 since 91 and I can't think of anything that could take her place....... :D

My wife wants me to get another car, but I can't.....

I love the way this car looks, handles, and rides...... :cool:

I'm in. I don't know about keeping two around. But the fact that they aren't worth anything makes selling my 2nd one less likely since it isn't worth anything anymore.

Of course, we keep getting closer to the day that my kids will start driving, hopefully they don't end up wrecking one of them. But I'll probably have one around.

I'm in for the long haul thats for sure. Besides it would be hard enough to sell an SC without an interior and has a 10 point cage intalled. My first Tbird was a '93 lx that got totalled twice (yeah it was cursed), then I got my first 35th and it got totalled as well, now I have my current 35th which thankfully has never been wrecked and never will. I will always have an SC around no matter what the situation.

Shane

Mike Puckett said:
I'll keep drag racing my 90 till I'm too old to do it anymore. I'm planning on restoring my 35th for a show car for when that happens and the other 2 I'll sell or trade on the GT500 I've all but decided to buy next year when they come out. Unfortunately it won't fit in the family burial plot so I can't take it with me when I go in 30 or 40 years.

Hmm..SC is definatelly big enough to fit a coffin some how...SC grave...now there's a thought! Ultimate display of enthusiasm. I'd have some vanity plates done for that car...SC2IDIE :p

I'd look for another one. But if I couldn't find a nice example, I'd be making a deal on a new Mustang. After having driven one for a few laps at the SVTOA track event at Shannonville a few weeks ago, I'm very impressed with the 05 cars.

cheers
Ed N.

Whilst we're getting all emotional, and making excuses for getting rid of our birds.....

I got my first 35th just after leaving Parris Island in late 95. I had it 8-9 months, and had what I image was as slowly leaking HG, but I was young, nieve, and coudn't find anyone to diagnose the problem, so I had to get rid of it.

I'm throwing myself at ya'lls mercy here, so brace yourselves.... I traded it in on a 96 grand prix, not only did I sell the 35th, I traded it it for a GM. I should have been shot. But I guess I could have done worse, and bought a lancer wid a big wing on the back :D

I had the grand prix about 6 months, there is only so much gutless 4banger that a guy can handle. so then I began the search for another SC... Not may SCs in Yuma AZ, so I ended up with a dodge intrepid. I had the one with a 24 valve 3.5, so it was actually reasonably fast for the size car it was. But still missed the SC! The SC was the only car I knew of that I was really ever satisfied with.

In 2000, I finally found another 35th, and drove it a little for 6 months or so, but by then we had a son, and the wife had traded in her silly little 2000 cougar for a Lincoln Towncar! Don't get me wrong, that car was awesome! But my wife somehow ended up with my 99 F150 ext cab, and I ended up with the towncar, so then we had 3 cars, and couldn't really afford to keep all of em registered, maintained and running, so I sold the towncar, and tore into the list of stuff the 35th needed done; which was mostly cosmetic, cept motor mounts.

Been driving it for 3 years now, some 120+ mile days 2-3 day a week when I was in school, in addition to 50+ miles a day to and from work. The 35th recently began to have ABS probelms, and I began a round of mods and such, so its been down for a about 2 months now, and it's driving me MAD!

Funny thing is, I always read alot people here consider the SCs to be unreliable, but I have only had my SC strand me once, and that was a water pump.

Sure a 15 year old car requires some upkeep, but I always think of the other option of a 300-400 car payment! Maybe some of you guys just can't keep form squallin' tires all over the place, and beating on your cars??? But I've been known to "open up the carbueretor" ever now and again :D But I find this car to be very reliable if you keep up maintanence!

Anyways, enough rambling, I am definately in for the long haul! I don't know how many I'll have, but I will eventually need another one so I can properly restore the 35th, and have it garaged, and drive it on Sundays.

Im in ill keep my sc till everyones is gone and ill have the onlyone left fastest sc top of the list 15 sec fastest sc on the planet the only one left.

we are wrecking them and parting them out faster than we are registering them with the club :D

I'm in, but if my SC were stolen I would take that opportunity to bow out. But I'm still sprung on the 3.8L SC motor. Since I've always been in love with the SN95 Saleen I would give some consideration to putting a SC motor in there with full Saleen treatment. It would look good to see chrome tubes buggin' out everywhere and still have 300 or 400 RWHP on tap. Of course just having one exhaust tip would freak everyone out too.

Just dropping a 3.8L SC motor in a Fox would be fun and cheap too, but I'm not sure I would know what to do with a gutted, all drag Fox V-6? And if I took the time to build a clean Fox 3.8L SC I would rather just go the SN95 saleen route.

I still like my car though and would lose my azz so I can't see ever selling it.

Micah

i sold both my birds 3 months ago. i am missing my sc more and more as the time goes by. i know i will one day have another sc. probably sooner than later. the guy i sold my black sc i am thinking of buying back from him this fall. never thought i would miss a car as much as i do. was a 13yrs love affair with the birds and apparently it wont go away.

Till the day I die...

Oh, and like Micah said, I'd love to swap the 3.8SC into something else. I wonder if it'll fit in a Miata like the 302 does. :D

Last edited:
1FASTSC said:
Money got tight and I moved on. I still have a lot of love for the little v6 that could. I wish the aftermarket would have been better to SC owners, but you can't change that now.

If you think the aftermarket is bad on these cars now, you should have seen it 4 or 5 years ago. In comparison it's actually very good now, especially when you consider the cars have been out of production for more than 10 years.

In the past you had to drop some serious coin and do a bunch of custom mods to make 300 rwhp, now days it's easy and only cost a fraction of what it did.

David

It really wasn't that long ago. As of Carlisle 2000 there was still not a 300+RWHP SC. I recall being out there and witnessing Spiro's CMREII Super Coupe blast off 288 RWHP. And that was probably $15,000 worth of motor. And lets not forget the countless individuals who thought Coy Miller was their only hope for the most power period. I recall typing at the edge of my seat as Bill Hull would announce "so and so" as the 2nd Coy Miller Race Engine equipped SC. And then "so and so" as the 3rd. And as the list got longer, you heard less and less from these people. Half of the cars never ran right again and the other half got just mediocre results.

And this isn't a slam at Coy, it was just a new industry and there wasn't enough info about the cars. Those early Coy cars ran 42# injectors and a 73mm C&L meter. Anyone who played with chips died trying (Rich Thomson). Anyone that played with Nitrous broke a lot of stuff (Bill Hull). And people were actually paying $1650 for "S" model blowers.

Now we at least have proven recipes. You know what works and what doesn't. We are learning how much power to expect from heads/cam combos. Starting to learn about different cam grinds and that bigger isn't always better. Starting to understand the limits on injectors, the M90, and finally at least we have another power adder to replace the M90 with along with a cheaper blower upgrade than the S model.

I think things are going good for us. If only we had higher production numbers (like the Stang) then more than just a few deranged individuals would be playing with these cars.

Micah

My 93 is my first s/c its been less than a month but i'm in love with it that is for sure! Had a couple LX Tbirds a n/a cougar 3.8 a 5.0 t-bird never really liked any of them very much but this..... I remember seeing these things when i was a kid and going 'wow thats cool i want one when i get my licence!' I have and always will be facinated with v6 cars that will put the hurt on a v8.. GN's S/C's GTP's! I've watched them all smoke GT mustangs on the track and have absolutely been fascinated with the fact that they where a little 3.8 v6! The handling/Ride/Power of an S/C can't be beat! Yeah a 5.0 fox body might be a bit more fun in some cases but overall hell no!! One day i might get a 5.0 fox just to build but i'd rather find a not as nice 5spd S/C and build the hell out of it! After watching GN's on the track pull both front wheels and run in the mid 6's (1/8th mile) outlaw street class....Damn that is downright wicked to watch a v6 car running with supercharged 5.0's and such.. I plan on keeping mine forever infact i'd love to get ahold of a SVO turbo 4cyl mustang and a turbo coupe also just to have one.. Start my own collection of limited production fords with forced induction.. Wouldn't mind having a GN sitting out in the garage too... Almost bought a pair of T Types one time for $1500 both ran but where rough... I can't wait to get down to the track and see what my S/C will do.. I'm hopping for mid 9's in the 1/8th but have no idea... I was able to get low 10's out of my old SI prelude and the t-bird feels alot stronger to me so... I can only hope.. I've watched alot of 4.6 stangs that couldn't get out of the 11's/12's (1/8th mile) and got whipped pretty bad by bone stock GTP's..

I bought my 35th new going on 16 years and 167,000 miles ago. I've owned many new cars and the SC is undoubtedly the best car I've ever owned. It is good looking and reliable, and fast enough to keep me happy. Now, I have never "beat" on it or driven what I consider abusively. That is not to say that I don't drive fast or aggressively. I've found the SC has only needed routine common sense maintenance over the years and no more than any other car. It's a little harder to keep ahead of the maintenance curve as it's gotten older, but no different than any other car. And I suspect I've spent a lot less than if I owned any other high priced luxury car like maybe Cad or Mercedes. John

P.S.: I'll probably always keep this car, or have another SC if this one gets wrecked or stolen.

Last edited:
When I bought mine I had second thoughts many times as it was in real sad shape, kept wishing I had bought something a little less worn out. Lots of rust in front of both wheels, suspension shot, rips in the leather seats, leather so hard from being in the sun too much. I have rebuilt almost everything on the car except overhauling the block and redoing the transmission. I have had it two years and have no intention of every selling it. It is a work in progress and it just keeps gettin nicer with every new project I do on it. Unlike most guys here, it has never broke down or caused me a problem with the exception of a vacuum leak which I caused when building my FMIC. It is not driven daily like some are so I can keep it out of the rain and snow. It is my project that keeps me busy inventing new way to inprove its looks and I get a lot of looks when driving down the street. Why would anyone not want to own such a good looking car?
Ken

Well, having been in a very serious wreck 8 years ago with a 92 SC, I can say these cars haved my life. I got broadsided by a 18 yr old drunk a$$hole doing 65 mph. The Paramedics had to cut the roof off my car to get me out, but if I was in a Honda I'd be dead for sure.

So yea, after years of seaching for the "perfect" SC (which we know all don't exist) I hunkered down and got rid of my Lexus IS300 for a SC.

I can say this, I do not miss the IS at all, and yes, when the SC breaks I am cursing the car up and down but I do love em. Now that I have a 35th Anny car, I do love em even more. As long as you know to do ANYTHING to these cars the blower, IC tubes or the gas tank has to come off, your ok. So yea, I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm in.

I've had mine a little over two years and you couldn't drag me out of it. So count me in for the long haul too.

Well...with the way that gas is going, its hard to justify three cars anyway. I like the SC but as soon as the LX is finished, I think the wiffie will put her foot down. We are not rich by any stretch of the word and she NEEDS a new car. I think I will be the one to sacrifice here and will suffer the loss of the red car. HOWEVER, I still have the engine out of an 89 that will probably be the next SPI turbo in a cooger (roar). That will take years to build but I think it will be a cheap project until the tuning comes into play. Mustang harness will cure some of that.

Long haul, Yes...short term...No.

Chris

I can't see myself not having my SC. I dreamed about getting one for 8 years after I saw it in the March 1995 Motor Trend, which I still have. I'd have to be in a very, very bad financial situation to sell it.

Back