No blown head gaskets with this engine

Interesting....hmm!

That is one really neat design concept. And I would have to agree that it could eliminate headgaskets.
The only issues I see with it is the complexity.
Plus if you ever HAD to replace the head, oh baby $$$$$$$.
Still a neat idea.
Bill

As I see it, you don't need to have the variable compression aspect of the design it if you don't want it.
You could do the same thing for a fixed compression setup thereby eliminating the complexity.

anyone remember the ford 'flathead' engines... the head was cast with the block hence no head gasket. all one piece

Flathead Ford V8s had cylinder heads, they were just flat casting though ... the valves were in the block, not the heads.

cheers
Ed N.

1 pc block/heads

Mercury outboards had a 1 pc block/head design. Dont know about other brands or even present outboards, but older versions did. Bolts that looked like head bolts were only to remove the water jacket cover over the heads. Sparkplugs stuck through a hole in the cover.
YB

yardbird said:
Mercury outboards had a 1 pc block/head design. Dont know about other brands or even present outboards, but older versions did. Bolts that looked like head bolts were only to remove the water jacket cover over the heads. Sparkplugs stuck through a hole in the cover.
YB

That's a 2 stroke though so it's not the same.

If you have a 1 peice design then it adds complexity and expense to the parts and makes it really hard to modify. Haven't looked at the article but remember one in a Design fax I got about 6-7 years ago.

Jeff

2 stroke

Of course its a 2 stroke--------!
Simply pointing out that there are engine designs with one-piece block/heads. I dont see how valve/seats could be done in a one piece design though.
YB

Back