Diamond Pistons Group Buy

Is everyone getting a different piston? What rods are everyone using? This is a verrrry long shot, but I wonder if we all agreed on a piston if we could still get a deal. It would be easier for diamond to cut 24 of the same piston than 6 one way 6 another 6 that way ect. If we cant find number 5 then its worth a shot. Long shot. I hate to say this , but the clock is ticking and itching to do some wrenchi'n. If nothing happens by friday then I'm starting piston shopping again. :(

I'm using 5.956" 351w rods.

Last report from Dave is that the deal is coming because if he can get 5 units ordered, he can become a "dealer" and give the low price to us. The price he's given us thus far is a "cost" price. I.E. it's his cost and doesn't represent any traditional mark-up that any other dealer would be adding into things.

The item in common with these pistons will be the combustion chamber design. After that, any variations are simple for them and their CNC program. I.E. Bore, Pin placement are not complex adjustments to make as long as we can agree on all the basic structure elements of the pistons.

Since all custom pistons are "machined" regardless of the qty, there is no savings in "machine" cost by having more identical items made. The only savings would be in setup costs, and the parts that are optional on our pistons incurr no additional setup costs.

So your 5.956 rods are fine.

For 5.956 rods using stock piston to deck height (.0215 below) you'd have a compression distance of 1.5475 assuming the block is decked down to around 9.22 for the final finish.

Mike8675309 said:
Last report from Dave is that the deal is coming because if he can get 5 units ordered, he can become a "dealer" and give the low price to us. The price he's given us thus far is a "cost" price. I.E. it's his cost and doesn't represent any traditional mark-up that any other dealer would be adding into things.

The item in common with these pistons will be the combustion chamber design. After that, any variations are simple for them and their CNC program. I.E. Bore, Pin placement are not complex adjustments to make as long as we can agree on all the basic structure elements of the pistons.

Since all custom pistons are "machined" regardless of the qty, there is no savings in "machine" cost by having more identical items made. The only savings would be in setup costs, and the parts that are optional on our pistons incurr no additional setup costs.

So your 5.956 rods are fine.

For 5.956 rods using stock piston to deck height (.0215 below) you'd have a compression distance of 1.5475 assuming the block is decked down to around 9.22 for the final finish.

I'D LIKE TO ZERO DECK SO THAT WOULD BE 1.569 COMPRESSION DISTANCE IF I AM CORRECT. 3.840 BORE FOR MY 30 OVER BLOCK. STILL WONDERING ABOUT THE COMPRESSION RATIO. 8.5 TO 1 SOUNDS SAFE , BUT I AM RUNNING 9.5 TO 1 AND 17PSI ON MY TURBO 2.3L MUSTANG AND THATS WITH THE STOCK HYPERPATHETIC PISTIONS. YES ITS A NONTURBO BLOCK THAT EVERYONE SAID WOULD BLOW AFTER 3 WEEKS. THAT WAS 3 YEARS AND 30,000 MILES AGO. SO I GUESS IT CAM BE DONE.

Last edited:
lilredstang said:
I'D LIKE TO ZERO DECK SO THAT WOULD BE 1.569 COMPRESSION DISTANCE IF I AM CORRECT. 3.840 BORE FOR MY 30 OVER BLOCK. STILL WONDERING ABOUT THE COMPRESSION RATIO. 8.5 TO 1 SOUNDS SAFE , BUT i AM RUNNING 9.5 TO 1 AND 17PSI ON MY TURBO 2.3L MUSTANG AND THATS WITH THE STOCK HYPERPATHETIC PISTIONS. YES ITS A NONTURBO BLOCK THAT EVERYONE SAID WOULD BLOW AFTER 3 WEEKS. THAT WAS 3 YEARS AND 30,000 MILES AGO. SO i GUESSIT CAM BE DONE.

That's what my numbers show, as long as you work with your machinist to achieve a finished block height of 9.22" That's the final variable that'll be determined by the machine work necessary.

Compression ratio is a function of many things. One of the things Dave said he was going to work with them on was a good piston design to deal with ideal quenching. This would even out and improve the combustion process to cut down dramatically on opportunities for detonation. The zeroing the deck improves quench as well.

I'm going 9 to 1 with the assumption that with the cam I'll have to order I'll be able to get a reasonable street/strip tune from Dave and still run 92 octane fuel. (I'll probably go with the multi-tune chip though so I can have one tune for 110 octane race fuel) This is also with an assumed 20+ psi of boost. Note that I talked to Slysc (dan) and he's running right around 9 to 1 without an issue. (he posted in the thread I linked to on page 1 and has 6.2" rods with the higher compression ratio)

Well even if this deal doesn't occur, at least I've learned tons of stuff for when I do get some pistons made.

this is not the best time for me to be buying this stuff as I need a new Rad now it looks like and a tuner as well.
At the same time I'm not sure where I want to go with the motor stroker or kept it 3.8. :confused:
I hope some one steps up other then me. :)

lilredstang said:
If we cant find number 5 then its worth a shot. Long shot. I hate to say this , but the clock is ticking and itching to do some wrenchi'n. If nothing happens by friday then I'm starting piston shopping again. :(

I'm using 5.956" 351w rods.

I am going to buy a set of pistons,

RANDY

Last edited:
Jason Wild said:
this is not the best time for me to be buying this stuff as I need a new Rad now it looks like and a tuner as well.
At the same time I'm not sure where I want to go with the motor stroker or kept it 3.8. :confused:
I hope some one steps up other then me. :)

Come on. Its time to cowboy up. Lets get this show on the road guys. If the rad. is the prob. I still have mine. Its the all metal one and I may be tempted to cut you a good deal on it if this whole piston thing speeds up. ;)

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
I am going to buy a set of pistons,

RANDY

Same here but Dave aint back yet and we still need #5! I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but I'm waiting till others pay-up before I do. These pistons aren't cheep and I hate to hold up that amount $$ for an unknown amount of time. I also have a tendancy to do stupid stuff that costs me $$$ when I have none. Add all this up and this frog WILL jump but not until the last minute.

Dave's got my money already... If the deal falls through the money will get re-directed towards the relief down south.

Guys, I'm back finally! So far I have money in hand from only one person. I owe Randy money so that part is ok, but I need to get details from him about exactly what he wants. This does make 5 people so we can go ahead. Get me your money tomorrow with all your specs if I don't already have them. Best thing is to send me your email (I don't have yours lilred) so I can send you each a spec sheet on your pistons. You'll need to confirm it and send money before the order will be placed. This group buy will happen/not happen in the next 2 days so I don't keep you guys hanging any longer.

Thanks!

XR7 Dave said:
Guys, I'm back finally! So far I have money in hand from only one person. I owe Randy money so that part is ok, but I need to get details from him about exactly what he wants. This does make 5 people so we can go ahead. Get me your money tomorrow with all your specs if I don't already have them. Best thing is to send me your email (I don't have yours lilred) so I can send you each a spec sheet on your pistons. You'll need to confirm it and send money before the order will be placed. This group buy will happen/not happen in the next 2 days so I don't keep you guys hanging any longer.

Thanks!

YO DAVE....ITS LILREDSTANG@AOL.COM. SO YOU WANT ME TO SCAN THE PISTON ORDERFORM AND EMAIL IT TO YOU?

Yep, that's what he wants.

I'll be e-mailing him my altered PDF document in the morning. Send that money guys. Let's get this ball rolling.

welcome back dave.

:D
Mike8675309 said:
Yep, that's what he wants.

I'll be e-mailing him my altered PDF document in the morning. Send that money guys. Let's get this ball rolling.

welcome back dave.

IT HAS BEEN SENT. HEY DAVE IF YOU SEE ANYTHING THAT IS OFF OR MAY NEED TO BE CHANGED LET ME KNOW ASAP. AS SOON AS WE AGREE ON THE FINAL NUMBERS I WILL PAYPAL YOU. I ASSUME TO THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS. I WILL CHECK HERE ONE MORE TIME BEFORE I CRASH AND IN THE MORNING. :D

lilredstang said:
:D

IT HAS BEEN SENT. HEY DAVE IF YOU SEE ANYTHING THAT IS OFF OR MAY NEED TO BE CHANGED LET ME KNOW ASAP. AS SOON AS WE AGREE ON THE FINAL NUMBERS I WILL PAYPAL YOU. I ASSUME TO THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS. I WILL CHECK HERE ONE MORE TIME BEFORE I CRASH AND IN THE MORNING. :D

I got it and it looks good. Thanks Scott.

lilredstang said:
I'D LIKE TO ZERO DECK SO THAT WOULD BE 1.569 COMPRESSION DISTANCE IF I AM CORRECT. 3.840 BORE FOR MY 30 OVER BLOCK. STILL WONDERING ABOUT THE COMPRESSION RATIO. 8.5 TO 1 SOUNDS SAFE , BUT i AM RUNNING 9.5 TO 1 AND 17PSI ON MY TURBO 2.3L MUSTANG AND THATS WITH THE STOCK HYPERPATHETIC PISTIONS. YES ITS A NONTURBO BLOCK THAT EVERYONE SAID WOULD BLOW AFTER 3 WEEKS. THAT WAS 3 YEARS AND 30,000 MILES AGO. SO i GUESSIT CAM BE DONE.

I have a 1988 2.3 turbocoupe complete motor.I might sell.

Randy N Connie said:
I have a 1988 2.3 turbocoupe complete motor.I might sell.

lol I am done with the 2.3s. Mine makes 180hp and 264tq at the rear wheels last dyno, but I hate waiting for the turbo to spool up before the thing will move. I think as of now that the 2.3T will be replaced by a 3.8SC :D The supercoupe motor needs a home and there are too many cocky 5.0s around here. ;)

Hey Dave. I Got Your Voicemail. I Called You Back Around 9:30 But Got No Answer.
That Sounds Fine With Me. The Change In The Ring Package Is Fine Too. Do You Think It Will Lead To Us Getting Them Faster Too?

Last edited:
Back