New idea to help our stock coolers

boostedbird

I've been working with a friend of mine that owns a sheet metal plant here in bountiful. One day after seeing how much heat my roots was making with the 15% overdrive on it and reading corky bells book on supercharging he said that a proper shroud could reduce intercooler temps by 20% or more. Well i started to think about it and even with an intercooler fan our stock intercoolers just arent doing the trick. True a front mount would be the best answer but i can't afford 1000+ for one right now and I know alot of you cannot either. So I designed a kick butt shroud for my car and it fits right onto the stock intercooler looks great and with the fan on my car temps went down by 31 degrees after I swapped intercoolers both runs were done on the same road same car same boost and within 30 minutes of each other meaning that the pipes and car were still quite warm for the second run the improvement may have been better had i let it cool down first. No ice was used no water and the pipes were the same and the intercoolers were both stock with the same type of fan. I also did notice that my car felt better and faster especially when under full boost at higher RPMs. The thoughts were simple even with the puller fan air can still get around the intercooler and it will take the path of least resistance by adding the shroud you are not giving the incoming air any other path than through the intercooler thereby reducing heat and adding more power. Not only that but where our intercooler sits in the stock location is about as crappy of a place to sit as you can get. Ford had a similar idea with the little rubber shroud but it is acually useless as I had this on with the first run air can still get by it and it acually covers some of the core reducing the cooling effect. I have 8 made right now and if anyone is interested please Pm me and I can send you out one at a cheap and fair price.

there was no need to do any modding to the AC condenser I have 2 kinds avaliable one for the stock intercooler and one for the double being that its wider. I have pics of mine but they say the file is too big and I don't know how to make it smaller. If someone can explain it to me that would be great I'm an old man and not that computer literate!! :D If someone wants me to email the pics I have and they can post them I can do that i have emailed the pics to a few people.

Thanks boss ya smart alec anyway i figured it out hahaha :D

Attachments

• shroud.JPG
    shroud.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 158
  • shroud2.JPG
    shroud2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 256
  • shroud3.JPG
    shroud3.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 214
WHat the smaller AIrcon condensor does is instead of the condensor going in front of the IC...It only covers the rad giving better airflow..Worth it I;d say along with the shroud

Yeah i can see how the smaller condenser would help in the airflow portion as well the shroud just seals the deal.

Just be careful your shroud is not attached to or otherwise too close to the support on the rad. The IC moves with the engine and if the motor mounts are broken it can move quite a bit. I'm sure that is why the factory used the rubber bellows style between the IC and the rad.

I currently have a double IC and use a shortened AC condenser. The aluminum shroud we built for mine several years ago just attaches to the rad support and goes out past the AC condenser to get more air to the IC.

You can get some idea in this picture:

P0001056.jpg

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
I pmd you havnt heard back, whats the going rate for this?

Tyler

Sorry man didn't get the PM thats strange I am asking around $75 and that includes all mounting hardware and shipping

Chris

CaifanSC said:
A bit unclear as to how its secured to the IC...does i bolt? IF so, wouldnt that dig into the actual core?

It secures to the sides of the intercooler with 3 small self tapping screws and they do not get anywhere near the core

I'm sure you can use double stick tape as well..Yah I know.....But it will give youa great seal!

Now can we make one for my slightly wider spearco IC..If I give you dimentions?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I'm sure you can use double stick tape as well..Yah I know.....But it will give youa great seal!

Thats a yes on that you send me the size and I can make it.

Chris

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:

Damon,

Most likely it will have to be tapered to fit. I have this on my Spearco already and if I had a digital camera, I'd snap a picture. You might be able to make it out in one of the pictures of my Snow Kit installation. Basically, if looking from the top, it looks like this:

Attachments

• Spearco.jpg
    Spearco.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 39
Well it seems I;m getting rid of project almost stock SC as I have purchased a 95 4.6 lx with a PI stang motor and an AED blower kit...However Id still liek a shroud to put in my pile of obsolete cool stuff for when I do find another SC to buy:O)

Kurt

You wouldnt happen to have measurements for that?....My Spearco si about 70 miles away from me right now. Top to bottom is same its the side to side thats different. Also the shroud had to taper down due to the rad positioning or the Condensor. If its the condensor I have the short aircon
and need not worry...........ALSOOOOOOOOOOO...Wouldnt that mean teh shrouid coul go further out?

Thanks guys

Damon

Back