Votes: 16 5.3%

Votes: 28 9.3%

Votes: 25 8.3%

Votes: 39 12.9%

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • 22 or over

Votes: 102 33.8%

• Total voters
I just made a weekend run of about 400 miles. 30 around town and the other 370 on interstate running 85 to 95 mph. I was happy to see 22mpg. I had no idea it was that economical at those speeds. It gets around 18mpg just around town. AOD and 3.23 gears. Catch you later, Bob.

Okay, I have seen two posts about 30+ mpg at 80-95mph. I think you need to redo the math. What process are you following to figure this mpg? It's not right.

pablon2 said:
Okay, I have seen two posts about 30+ mpg at 80-95mph. I think you need to redo the math. What process are you following to figure this mpg? It's not right.
I can't say I've gotten 30+ mpg, but I did see 28 mpg during a vacation trip early in my cars history. Now if I get 18 mpg on a long trip I'm very happy :)

pablon2 said:
My '93 has a 15gal tank.
92-97 OEM gas tanks are all the same size. I don't remember the exact size, but it's around 18 gallons. I believe the 89-91 gas tanks have a little bit more capacity.

Of course, none of this really matters for determining MPG since you should be using the number of gallons it took to fill up your tank, not the possible capacity.

Kurt K said:
92-97 OEM gas tanks are all the same size. I don't remember the exact size, but it's around 18 gallons. I believe the 89-91 gas tanks have a little bit more capacity.

Of course, none of this really matters for determining MPG since you should be using the number of gallons it took to fill up your tank, not the possible capacity.

We are officially tangent-bound....:)

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2041/Act/usedcarreviewspecs/

Looks like my gauge may have been off a tad as I have never put more than 15.5 gallons in during a fillup with the gauge reading empty. Oh well, I'd rather it be that way than thinking I had an 18gal and in reality I had a 15 gal. :eek:

Also, true, when figuring gas mileage people need to fill the tank completely and then drive. Fill it up again completely and divide miles driven by gallons used to fill the second time.

pablon2 said:

In the theme of tangent-bound, I wouldn't trust any site's Thunderbird information that doesn't know the 89 is part of the same model run. Anyway, somebody with an 89-91 and a 92-97 owner's manual could state the fuel capactiy from the manual. I'll try to check my 92 manual when I get home from owrk, unless somebody posts the information before then.

Kurt K said:
I wouldn't trust any site's Thunderbird information that doesn't know the 89 is part of the same model run.

I was thinking the same thing. :D Looking at the site, they do mention the restyle that occurred in '89, but for some reason they highlight just years '90-'97. [End of tangent.]

Last edited:
Not quite stock, and getting ~15mpg city and maybe 20mpg highway.

3.73s and my foot the biggest culprits.

I used to get consistent 30-31mpg in my bone stock '95 5 speed on all highway trips to NY. City used to be around 23-24. Now that I've changed to 3.27's I'm down to about 26 highway and 22 city. I never really checked on the Cougar, but I'd guess it was always around 26-27 highway all stock. My mileage in my AOD '93 blows goat as far as I'm concerned. Even with a full tune up and fairly easy driving I'm lucky to get over 20 city or highway. I'm pretty disappointed in that after such good mileage in my 5 speed cars. My old '92 base T-Bird used to get 30-31 on the highway when it was in full tune.

Ever since my gas gauge broke, Ive been forced to go by my odometer and calculate mileage. I ended up with 19 MPG. All slow city, most trips under 5 miles and a mix of driving easy to not so easy. Probably does a LOT better on the freeway, maybe after I fix my suspension I wont be scared to try....

Ever since my gas gauge broke, Ive been forced to go by my odometer and calculate mileage. I ended up with 19 MPG. All slow city, most trips under 5 miles and a mix of driving easy to not so easy. Probably does a LOT better on the freeway, maybe after I fix my suspension I wont be scared to try....

yeah have a bad gas gauge to huh....accoridng to my gas gauge we went 135 miles on a 1/4 of gas...

Back