My first 'Bird problem, tranny?

lazybird4pt6

What's happening, guys???
I would appreciate any help that can be given with my first 'Bird problem (besides the u-joints).
I have noticed, more and more, lately that the car isn't accelerating smoothly. In first and second it's fine. When it shifts into third under "normal" acceleration it seems to "jump" through the RPM range, in 50 - 75 RPM increments. It's not undriveable, but is extremely annoying! In fourth it's also fine. This is why I think it's the tranny, not the motor or anything else.
The car is an auto (4R70W) and I can't say that I know enough about auto's to say what the problem is (or may be). Is there something that is common to give out under severe driving conditions? I know about fourth (thanx Ed), but is there some kinda accumulator or solenoid "thing-a-ma-jiggy" that I'm about (?) to need to replace? I don't fell like getting stranded, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Preventative maintenance, what a beautiful thing!

ANYONE????????
Help!!!!!!!
I have a (very) bad feeling that I cooked third. This is (very) not good. I think i'll have to shoot myself if I f@^&ed up my tranny. And at 62,000 K. That's just not funny.
ANY help, guys, PLEASE??!?!!?!??!!?!?

Andrew, give me a call at work tomorrow, I'll talk to our auto. trans guy for suggestions.

cheers
Ed N.

Back