Heard from Calvin today, it's bad, may need our help.

Vernon

Calvin was able to call me today and let us know that they had been able to get out in time and they were safe. He says that they were entertaining friends late Saturday night still unaware that Katrina had grown so strong and was bearing down on them. When they woke up Sunday the news took them by surprise. He says that several of his friends told him that they were tired of leaving town during hurricanes only for nothing to come of it and they were staying. Something told them this was going to be bad and it was time to go. They packed fast and light with only to SC to take them out of town. Their big car has been broke down for a while. So they mainly grabbed extra clothes and headed north fighting the traffic. He said he got my call but the traffic was too bad at the time to answer it. They made it to relatives in Helena Arkansas late Sunday then stayed up watching the news coverage. He was able to listen to his messages today and returned calls. He’s been trying to contact friends left behind and worries about them.

For those of you who don’t know Calvin’s house is located in Slidel Louisiana, which is located on the north shore of Lake Pontchitrain. Katrina basically went right though town dragging the lake with her. Being that Slidel is above sea level there were no dikes or levees to protect the town from a flood levels in the lake. If you’ve seen the news this afternoon you’ve probably seen footage from Slidel because that’s where the damage is so dramatic. All you can see is a lake with roofs in it and the tops of large stores. I’m pretty sure his home has had moderate to sever flooding based on everything I’ve seen so far out of Slidel. It took longer for them to cover Slidel because it’s basically been out of touch and inaccessible. Now that the storms over it’s become obvious that the town is a total loss. Calvin has heard from family close by who are related to a Slidel City Council member, she told them “there’s bodies floating in the streets”.

Calvin thinks he’s probably lost everything he has except for his wife and daughters, a car and some clothes. During this part of the conversation he was starting to crack up so I didn’t ask him about home insurance and he didn’t mention it either. He can’t get back home yet so he’s not exactly sure what he’ll find. I told him that my family and I will do whatever we can to help them with this and that as soon as he figures out what he needs to let me know and we’ll do it. He said he would do that. I also have a large travel trailer that we’re not using right now and told Calvin that if he gets home to find that his house is unlivable I would bring it to him so that they can stay home while they repair the house and get their lives back together. He was thankful and said he would do that if it turns out to be the case.

So he’s alive but it looks as if one of our friends is in a world of hurt right now and could stand some help. Calvin is one of us. If you think about it, right now all of his other friends are in the same situation as him or worse. His whole town just got washed away. If he’s going to get any serious help it’s going to be from the rest of his family or us. Once Calvin is able to get back to his house and assess the situation I’m going to make a trip over there with whatever I can take them that they are in need of. If I take the travel trailer it will be stocked up with food, water, personal needs, propane, etc. If any of you guys will help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. The gasoline alone will be expensive as it’s about a 6-8 hour drive under normal conditions. Think about what you can do and I’ll let you guys know when this relief trip is going to happen and how you can help.

Right now they all need our prayers. At least they are still with us. I’ll let you guys know as soon as I know anything new from Calvin.

Vernon

I can vouch for what Vernon has posted and Calvin has been a long time SC'er. and has hosted us at his house and let a bunch of us Houston area guys bunk at his house before and treated us well.
Thanks for posting that info Vernon as I was wondering too how Calvin and his family were doing and if they made it out of there. As long as I get a little notice, I can probably get away and help out.
It looks like it could be a long while before that area will be habitable again.

Vernon, please pass on that we're thinkin' about him and will do what we can to help him and his family.

Please let us know

Our thoughts a prayers go out to you and Calvin.
Bless you Vernon for going the extra mile for a friend.
Please let us know how we can help.
Tell Calvin we are all behind him!
Peace.
Bill

Jeff and I both haven't been able to reach Calvin again, I would imagine he's gone back to see his home and is out of communication. I goggle globed his address last night and my worse fears were realized. When we stayed there I didn't notice but the house was only about a mile from the lake and at 7 ft. elevation. I'm sure it was his because in the satillite photo there were two SC's in the driveway. The white '94, his red '92, and a teal car. It freaked me out at first because I thought it might be Rick's teal '94. But it's probably just someone else. What are the odds. There's not enough detail to be sure. But anyway, his house had to have been submerged.

Vernon

Ground sensing satellites are numerous, but they don't have live feeds to google. Google uses numerous photo archives, so any satellite pictures you see on google are a year or 2 old.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for thinking of myself and my family. I left Slidell Sunday morning and drove up I55 to Helena, Arkansas! We left just in time!

My house is a totally wash, a storm surge of 20 feet hit my house, this is from information that I'm receiving from the news! So I really don't know what I will be going back too.

I will keep in touch! I will be leaving in the morning for a day trip to the area to bring in water and food for those that need it.

Please keep those in your thoughts and prayers! GOD SPEED!

Guys and Gals of SCCOA who are following this post, I will post a link to The Thunderbird Underground where the latest news and such will be posted. I will answer questions on either board but it would take to much time to transfer everything three times and edit out personal responces to members there, etc.

http://www.tbu.cx/tbu/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=700

Thanks,
Vernon

Calvin,

I looked on website wwltv.com and clicked airials by zip code I was not able to see my house but was able to see my parents home and these satelite pictures taken 2 days ago, however, it might not show your home my parents live about 4 miles from me and it did not show my house like you live i am not sure if i have a home either b/c i live on the lake in kenner

Scott

Vernon, once Calvin determines what his needs are... let me know and I'll do what I can to help out. Calvin, just let us know, man we're all here for you and in our prayers.

Has there been any news from others in the Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama area hit by Katrina???

Louisiana Neighbors Need Help!!!

Last edited:
Just talked to Calvin and got an address!

To all those who would like to send some immediate relief to Calvin and his family here's the address to send it to:

Calvin or Tiffany Coats
P.O. Box 446
Helena, AR 72342

I will post more details of the conversation soon.

Thanks,
Vernon

Coversation this afternoon,

Here’s the things learned when talking to Calvin this Saturday afternoon.

First off his sister and her boyfriend were able to go to Slidell and look around yesterday. Both her and Calvin’s houses are still standing but were flooded during the storm. The water has receded but his had 6 ft of water in it and hers had seen 4 ft. Calvin’s house has no major structural damages. He did have homeowners and flood insurance so he will be able to receive insurance and rebuild. Obviously this is good news to hear.

He plans on posting again soon but he has to use the public library for Internet access, as his mother doesn’t have it. He asked if he should try to post again and I told him yes, that a bunch of the guys are concerned about them and have wanted to help but we still don’t know how. So he said he’ll post as soon as he can.

I asked him if had heard of or from Colby Parker and he said he has tried to reach him but can’t. He did say that the area Colby lives is Kenner Louisiana near the New Orleans Airport and that area has not flooded so he’s probably O.K. but just not able to go home. But as of yet there is no word from Colby, Calvin will keep trying but his phone only works in Mississippi when close to home and the lines are all jammed.

I asked him about using the trailer; he said that he wants to so I will be taking it to them as soon as I can after he can go home. He told me that based on his sister’s experiences going there yesterday it’s just not safe. She said house looting wasn’t a problem in the Slidell area but gasoline is being fought over and stolen, especially after dark. They had taken a sidearm with them and it was needed to get back home with gas. They had filled up several gas cans and took them but barely had enough to make it back. I don’t know what the details were but they took a Camery and those cars should be able to go there and back on a tank. They also took water and food goods with them and passed them out to those in need throughout the trip. She said people were getting violent over gas. Perhaps they gave away some gas also. But once it started getting dark there were fights and gunshots heard often so they didn’t feel safe and decided to get out of town. Calvin said “It’s like Mad Max at night and you need to carry a gun.” This is our country? So I will keep readying the trailer and preparing for the trip. Calvin said he wants to wait until the power is back on because of the lawlessness after dark. He was able to contact his employer and was told they’ve put all the people affected on administrative leave. He doesn’t know if he’ll still be getting a paycheck yet so financial help will be needed and appreciated in the time being.

He’s been watching the news and is amazed by what’s going on here in Houston and the rest of the country with the outpouring of help from everyone.

I asked him about the clothes and he said they had enough to get by and they wear odd sized clothes so it would probably not be much good to send him any clothes right now. They are tall and thin.

Finally both Calvin and his wife Tiffany sent their love to me, and all of us who here working on helping them out during this time of their greatest need. I could hear her in the background and they both broke down saying this. I only include this to reinforce that we are doing a great thing here. I’m sure his wife is like mine; she tolerated his Internet time at best and never expected something like this would come out of it. I told them I loved them too and we’re going to keep doing what we can to help them through. Everyone dig deep and do what you can. You never know who will need it next.

Vernon

Getting ready for trip.

There's no word from Calvin but I'm making all the preparations I can to take him our travel trailer. We got it over yesterday and have been cleaning and working on necessary repairs to get it all ready. I'm taking a crash course on these things and how to hitch them up with all the extra equipment. It turns out the fridge in this one will run on electricity or propane, the hot water heater is gas also. It has two electrical systems 120 and 12 volt. When connected to 120 it will keep the 12volt deep cycle charged. I'm seeing if the battery will keep a charge.

I recieved two checks today to help with expenses, and a paypal thanks guys, this helps. I couldn't do it all wihout it. If anybody else is thinking about helping with this please do. It doesn't have to be a big wad, just few bucks even. If you would like to help with the trailer and trip expenses here's my information.

Vernon Cradier
27102 Azalea Ct.
Magnolia, TX 77354

Paypal: ManicV6Mechanic@wmconnect.com

Well that's all that's happening now. Take care.

Vernon

Vernon, Jeff
If you need an extra hand to tag along on the trip over there, let me know. If I have enough notice, I can probably get time off work to help out. Or even if you just need more help with prepping the trailer, I might be able to come over and help out.

Also, next time you speak with Calvin, see if he has an idea how long he'll be in Arkansas or if he will have a way to receive financial donations once he leaves AK.

Would you guys want to show up Saturday about 10? Mainly for interior cleaning and some minor touch ups to the overall condition.

Anybody got a good portable air compressor? Mine just broke.

Vernon

Vernon, does Calvin have an idea when they are going to let people back in the area... or is Slidell open to people to return now?

Back