Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was that source for coated rotors??

Are you refering to GM M90 rotors or SC rotors? The Gm's are what they are looking for. He is the only consistant source for only the rotor pack. He will probably have some soon. He has a case on ebay right now.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by J57ltr
    Hell Damon why didn't you ask me? I have sent about 6 people his way in the last few weeks.

Shockwave I don't know what kind you got but the ones the coating is nearly bullet proof. I have sprayed Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, every solvent in my garage and the stuff doesn't come off. Not like the 94-95 SC rotors.

Jeff

I didn't even try and clean them, as I wasn't concerned with how they looked. The coating was chipped on the edges and it started peeling off. I paid $80 dollars for them and they were supposed to be off a 2001 GTP with 30,000 miles. I did not know that the bearings on the rotor plate were bad and had play until after the modification of my case. Basically I got ripped off. I think they were either overheated from lack of oil or spun too fast. I find it hard to beleive they have 30,000 miles.

All that was needed to run the GTP rotors was to drill the upper right case bolt hole out with a K size (get calipers out and check that) drill. Then drill out that same hole on the snout. I think it would be very hard to move the pin. The modification doesn't hurt the case and the early rotor pack can be reused like I did.

I'm not knocking the MOD, but you have to get a good rotor pack or it's worthless. Don't forget these have been arouund since 97 and can have easily over 100,000 miles on them so they may not be better than what you have. Get a lot of detail pictures before buying.

Jerry

rotors

That would be GN rotors

Also one more piece of advice

Tell them you want to see pics before purchase
    There are guys that sell GOOD used rotorpacks

The rotor packs themselves are good but they fail to tell you almost all the coating is flaked off

GN rotors, Grand National? No we are refering to Supercharger rotors out of GM cars.

I don't know where you get your info but I have only seen 2 bad rotor bearings and have only heard of it on less than 5 cases of this on the boards.
    If you are drilling the case then the alignment must be perfect. You really need to use a mill, any misalignment in the needlw bearings will be magnified, and cause quick failure. The ball bearings in the front can handle a LITTLE more misalignment but they will fail. That is one of the reasons for the alignment lugs in the first place. It may have been bad, but that is a concern.

Ed will always send pics, if you ask. I have never seen a GM rotor coating flake off. Wear yes, flake no. They are nothing like the coating on the SC, Lightning, Jag or Cobra. I don't know why it is different but it is. The coating on the GM seems to attract more carbon than the other coatings or bare.

I have 2 complete Gm M90's 97-97 and 2 sets of rotors. All are the same.

Jeff

All of the issues you guys have discussed about modding the GM rotor paacks for the SC M90 case are exactly why you should contact ESM. I know that $450 isn't exactly easy to come by for everyone (especially me). But if I am spending money on a Mag 2 which has been rebuilt in every way BUT the rotors it is definately to my advantage to have a rotor pack rebuilt with new bearings, get the rotors coated, and not have to worry about any misalignment or bearing failure. I am very confident the the process in wich the coating is applied and the coating itself are very much superior to anything that was stock on SC's or GTP's, plus the fact that now I have a rotor pack with coating and bearings that have NO miles on them. Just some food for thought.

Good luck with that, I don't agree with many of their practices.

Jeff

Just out of curiosity, which practices are you referring to /

I got a set of rotors off of the GTP board also that were in "good shape". The coating was pretty decent but the bearings rattle. If anyone wants them they are really cheap now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Incase anyone is still wondering, Ed Morad is a gtp guy that lives by me in cleveland. You can contact him at Ed@MoradPartsCompany.com for rotors.

Rotors

THATS GM Rotors WISE Azz

That was a typo

As far as GN I basically think that all of us would know that GNs arent Supercharged they are turbo charged

Either way Its a cheap upgrade and its a much better option then paying 650.00 for a set of coated rotors

Also about your comment of it having to be done on a mill?

I think thats a lil excessive considering the Hole is already there and you are just centering the bit to enlarge the hole

Ive Done 4 sets to be exact and havent had a complaint yet

Maybe If you have trouble keeping a drill straight then I could see you needing a Mill to do it
    As far as coating not flaking off on a GM rotorpack

Flaking is actually pretty common (It starts at the edges and then gradually proceeds across the whole rotor)
    and SO IS discoloration from carbon
    This is because of the EGR design

The contact Info I have for ED is GTPED@msn.com

I can say he does sell quality parts and ships fast
    I myself have purchased 2-3 sets from him

****Id like to give a big thumbs up for what You citizens of Texas are doing for Disaster victoms I have alot of respect for all of you that are helping in some way or another****
    Last edited by Conan56; 09-03-2005 at 02:43 PM.

All I know is..........................
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan56
    THATS GM Rotors WISE Azz

Cant you tell a typo when you see one?
    you do realize that M and N are next to eachother on the keyboard

As far as GN I basically think that all of us would know that GNs arent Supercharged they are turbo charged

Either way Its a cheap upgrade and its a much better option then paying 650.00 for a set of coated rotors

Also about your comment of it having to be done on a mill?

I think thats a lil excessive considering the Hole is already there and you are just centering the bit to enlarge the hole

Ive Done 4 sets to be exact and havent had a complaint yet

Maybe you have trouble keeping a drill straight then I could see you needing a Mill to do it
    As far as coating not flaking off on a GM rotorpack
    Thats a pretty good comment in itself
    Talk to your friend ED Morad about that and get some clarification
    On your facts before posting them

Flaking is actually pretty common (It starts at the edges and then gradually proceeds across the whole rotor)
    and SO IS discoloration from carbon
    This is because of the EGR design

The contact Info I have for ED is GTPED@msn.com

I can say he does sell quality parts and ships fast
    I myself have purchased 2-3 sets from him

I have a 97 GTP that Ive also modded Im NO PROFESSIONAL OPINION on it But Im sure I have quite a bit more knowledge of GTPS then you

A wise man from Texas once said to me "Pretty much Everything Is a lil Slower down here in Texas"

If you see any other Typos please correct them for me as well
    Also I have intentionally left out punctuation for you to correct also
    LOL

****Id like to give a big thumbs up for what You citizens of Texas are doing for Disaster victoms I have alot of respect for all of you that are helping in some way or another****
    Look I wasn't trying to make a wiseass comment I was confused why you posted "That would be GN rotors"

The whole second part was at Shockwave not you Conan. If you think doing them in a mill is excesseive then that's fine I happen to have one so that is what I use. You can use a dremel for all I care. I don't know why your panties are in a wad but dig them out.

What I am refering to is that the coating on GM rotors and OTHER Eaton rotors are VERY different. I don't know why but they are. I do know there is also an abradable coating that wears in. As you might know the rotors never touch.

It's a great upgrade and I have bought rotors from ED before and in fact I got an email from him this morning. He has stated that he is out right now, but he does keep track of who is looking and sends them info when he has them.

"I have a 97 GTP that Ive also modded Im NO PROFESSIONAL OPINION on it But Im sure I have quite a bit more knowledge of GTPS then you"

Maybe you do maybe you don't, you don't know me from Adam so I ain't getting to a pissing match about it.

Jeff

Rotors

Ok Ive said what I have wanted to get my point across

This in my Opinion is an easy and relitively cheap Mod
    I dont think its necessary to purchase a set of 650.00 rotors from A HIGH PRICED vendor when they are readily availible On the GTP boards

I didnt appreciate the Wise AZZ comments But Im gonna let it Lie because this thread isnt intended for the petty arguement

Once again a Big thumbs up for the Texans who are helping the Needy

Its unfortunate that you guys will prob end up with the less desireables also from this

I agree, and haven't been impressed with ESM's work.

I didn't mean for it to be a wise comment like I said I was confused, if I had thought it was a Typo I would haven't even said anything. Sometimes since we aren't face to face it's hard to judge how a comment should be taken.

Jeff

Ok I still want to know what problems might exist with ESM's work, as I have a pending order for work to be performed. I have never heard anything negative until now. If there are legitimate reasons I would appreciate hearing them. I would like to be an informed consumer as I am sure all of you would.