How old were you, when you had your first car accident?

68COUGAR

I was 2 yrs. old when I had my first car accident.

Dad had bought a new '55 Chevy. He was very proud of that car, because it was the first one he ever bought NEW. You could start the car w/o the key, if the key cyclinder wasn't in the lock position. Well, Mom parked in front of Rileys IGA Supermarket, took the keys out, & ran inside to buy some milk. Well, bein' a kid, presented with all these Really Cool shiney things to play with, I started working all the buttons & knobs. When I got to the ignition switch, it turned & made NOISE, which delighted me to no end. It also felt like my rockin' horse at home!!!!

While Mon was buying the milk, she heard a loud crash, but didn't think much about it. That loud crash was the car bashing into the front door of the supermarket. She had left the car in gear, as you do with a manual transmission. The car had started & jumped over the curb, & was now impailed on the front door. The manager couldn't get out of the store, so he went out the back & around the store to see who had crashed into his front door. By this time lots of people were gathered around the car & yelling, so I locked the doors & hid on the floorboard.

Then the manager went back inside & asked who owned the new black '55 chevy parked outside. So my Mom says that it's her husbands. Then the manager says that she'd better come outside, & heads towards the back of the store. Mom really wasn't sure why he was going that way since Her car was in Front of the store, but she followed anyway. When they got to the car, the manager said, "This car must have REALLY Good pick up". Amazingly only some of the front bumper brackets were bent (try that with a modern car & see what happens!!!!!!!!!)

Mom said that the insurance must have paid to fix the grocery store door, & that Dad just "took care of it".

So that's MY story. Anybody else have a car accident before they were old enough to go to school?

68COUGAR

Last edited:
No.. 1 close call however.. As usual, mom parks the car on a incline and leaves the kids in the car to run into the store for some errands. Being kids, we are crawling over the seats.. I reach up for the column mounted shift lever, as I've seen mommy do this before, and pull it down.. Now in the days before shift locks, there is nothing stopping it from coming out of Park, so out it comes.. car starts moving backwards.. I go "Oh sh**", cept that at that age I didn't have those words. I quickly pushed the lever back up and the car stops. I sit in the back and hope mommy doesn't notice the car has moved backwards about 2 feet. (whew!)

I was 17. Going down highway 321 in Maryville, TN coming from school. I was speeding, probabaly 70 in a 55 in my beat up 89 Cavalier, and this girl about my age pulls out to cross the highway just a tad too early. Ended up locking the brakes down into a skid (all I could think to do was slam on em) and T-Boned her right about her passenger side door. Of course my seat belt was mal functioning and after 15 mins of fooling it I just went without it, though being 6'4" in a little car like that, I didn't go too far. Ended up busting my lip on the steering wheel and getting my knee and elbow cut pretty bad. My brother (who had a seat belt on) almost cracked a rib, and had some back pain for a while after that.

At least in the end they paid us 1600$ for a car we paid 500$ for (though we had to put 2 clutches in it, it was bad when we bought it and I burned one up Hey it was my first car :p ). Our neighbor felt bad and handed me the 76 LTD she was trying to sell too.

I was 17. I smashed up dad's 1971 Charger SE. I was going down a sunny street (sun in my eyes)back when they had the stop lights on the side of the street and it was impossible to see the light. I ran the red light and got broadsided by a Firebird.

I was around 6 years old when I smashed my new motor cycle in to the side of my dads new car (a few days old) caved the door in. I don't rember what the hell I was doing, But I know dad was pissed. Mom saved my a$$ because she told him thats what you get for giveing a 6 year old a bike. Shew I thought I was DEAD!!

no164ford said:
Mom saved my a$$ because she told him thats what you get for giveing a 6 year old a bike. Shew I thought I was DEAD!!
You should E-mail this thread to your mom. OR at least tell her THANKS AGAIN for savin' your A$$.

68COUGAR

I was 16 in my 83 AMC concord :rolleyes: . I was with a buddy and I was racing some other car in and out of traffic. I somehow clipped the back corner of another car in the process. My buddy yelled "just f***in' go"! I freaked out and mashed the gas. The guy chased me down a dead end street and I pulled into a u-shaped driveway and took off the way we came passing him head on.
I had 1/2 mile on him after that and blew a red light as I seen a cop sitting at the intersection. The cop gave chase and ended up calling 2 other cop cars for back up. They searched my buddy and me and the car but they didn't have a clue I was just in a hit and run. I got tickets for running the red light, imprudent speed, and no seatbelt. I was so lucky that guy couldn't find where the cops had me pulled over (Kmart parking lot). I went home and told Dad about the tickets and made up a B.S. excuse. Whew! :eek:

8 months ago.......Me.....Corvette...corvette owner ego hurt when passed by an SC........SMASH!!.............$$$$$..... i win

I had to be 3 or 4 when I was in the front seat of my dad's late 50's chevy parked in our drive way.

I was "driving" just like he did..... :D

I ended up shifting into neutral and the car started to roll back..... :eek:

It rolled down the drive way and bumped into the neighbors car across the street......

32 yrs old I wrecked my 71 charger R/T s/e 440-6 into a new camaro she ran stop and nearly cut her car in half and put a dent the size of a grapefruit in my fender , thank god for full rap around bumpers

16, hit some lady in an acura with my NA 91 T-bird...i got black paint on my bumper that i scraped off with my finger nail, she had like $3600 worht of damage. She had rims, and she wanted me to replace all four cause the one i hit had some scratches....i couldn't help but laugh at her and send her to my insurance

15 Years Old And I Was Driving A Super Coupe

i just got my new trans,drive shaft,clutch,flywheel and some other parts in my sc and was goin down the driveway and i stop and reved it some then the car took off and did a 180 in to my nieghbors tree when i got out of the car and look at it the right front side of the car was smashed then when i went to go look at what happened(y the car took off) there was no cotter pin on the rod connecting it to the clutch pedal and it poped off and when i told the previous owner about what happened he goes o yea i forgot to tell u that it kept coming off on me. i was so pissed,and because he forgot i had to put a whole new front end on my car. :mad: and it is miss match colors now but thats ok because i am sellin it for a new sc in about 2 weeks

the tiers spun every inch of the way

BILL

I was 15 or so, I think. We had a basketball goal over the carport and there was a car in the driveway. I was going to pull it to the side and park it beside another car to give us more room to shoot ball. I barely sideswiped it, not even enough to leave a scratch on either car hardly. My sister was standing on the porch watching as she exclaimed "you shouldn't be driving". I told her "at least I have my wrecks at home".

Not long before that, she had totaled a Pinto :eek: when she pulled out in front of somebody. I guess that's safer than getting rearended in one of those. She didn't think my comment was funny and promptly went inside. The rest of us had a good laugh about it, even her husband. :D Good times.

I was 4. My grandmother went into the lumber yard to pay a bill and left the engine running. I put the '68 Coronet 440 in reverse and backed into a telephone pole. I quit school the same year, well preschool.

I am telling my age here, but my 1st accident was when I was 16, and I had my Dads 59 Chevy 348, 335 HP tri-power on a Saturday night. I beat up on a few guys down in Nashville, and was coming home on smaller secondary roads, and didn't realize I was still going way too fast. Ended up on the roof, flatten to the hood. Was 4 of us in it, and it was one of the times that seat belts would of most likely killed all of us. As it was, we just bounced around inside.

I ended up being up right, while the car was on the roof, with me looking under the dash, wondering where I was. My buddy in the back seat ended up knocked out, and took a few calls to respond. It did not slow me down, but I became more aware of where I was, in relation to my speed.

I was 14...My brother was home from the Army for the weekend. He needed to move his car from the driveway before our parents got home later that night and tossed me the keys to do it. I stepped on the gas a little too hard and rammed the across the street neighbor's Country Squire station wagon right in the fake wood grain side panel.

The neighborhood lady who minds everyone's business just happened to be out walking her dog (after midnight), so I had to knock on the neighbor's door and tell the guy what happened. I was scaredto tell my parents what happened because I was supposed to go to 6 Flags amusement park the next morning and was pretty sure they wouldn't let me go after finding out about the neighbors car.

So I went to 6 Flags and when I got home that night my dad met me at the door looking very angry. He said the neighbor came over around noon wanting to know what he was going to do about fixing his car. When the neighbor realized it was me that hit his car, he felt sorry for me and gave me a part time job to help pay for his car. All I ended up having to do, was pay for a pail of body filler. Still got grounded for a couple weeks :(

David

I was 18 when i had my first accident. Old couple ran a red light and I t-boned them at 50 mph in my old 87 20th anniversary cougar, they both ended up dying as a result.

Sean

I was 18 when i had my first accident. Old couple ran a red light and I t-boned them at 50 mph in my old 87 20th anniversary cougar, they both ended up dying as a result.

Sean

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

My first wreck was 18 years old riding in my buddys camaro. 120mph over a hill and we were met by a garbage truck. Fishtailed into the other lane, hit a jeep head on. The rest is fuzzy, but we ended up facing the other direction and clipped the garbage truck also judjing by green pain on the front bumper. I walked away, by buddy took a trip to the hospital for minor injuries.

Chris

Back