mp fmic & overheating issues

The term "cowl hood" seems like it is being used loosely. Jeff and Charles, are you referring to the Cervinis hood
front2a.jpg

where the air is rammed in from the front or those which are vented in the back
Cobra%20R%20hood%201.jpg

by the windshield like the cobra R hood or both?

Paul

my take on things,
Engine comp pressure is a given. It would be nice to see a hood as used on many exotics where flow was purposely released out aft the radiator but before engine. Lets see someone create that!
As for cowl hood on our cars, the effect is not the same as with early muscle cars ( chevys come to mind) that introduced this. The windshield was at a more acute angle thus causing a low press area under the raised cowl.
The bird may be affect by this, but I'd dare to bet by very little due to the angle on the windshield & it curve to the sides.
Regardless the answer to a cowl hood, is to get it close enough to the windshield there is little effect.
I beleive what was said about to thick or(too many cores) causing airflow to be impaired.
BTW are XR7s effected by this as much with the open grill???

Bottom line...these things don't cool well stock or not, add complications to the mix & your gonna find why ford made the hood as flat as possible, and used a side mount IC. $$ vs something that just gets by.
After all this bird wasn't intended to be the next GT40
In fact I'll bet they never thought anyone in their right mind would try to modify this thing after one look under the hood, HA,ha!

Last edited:
Magnum Powers said:
BTW Randy your MPIII is being assembled today and will ship to you tomorrow. It sure is shinny!

Charles

Thanks for the heads up Charles.

I also do not run the plastic trim around the windsheild wipers.
or windsheild wipers.The hole back of the hood is open.
And I cut a 3/4'' gap in the front on the hood

I also have no A/C compressor.And the A/C compressor bracket
has been machined down to the minumin.This let air flow around
the side of motor.

I did this before the MP FMIC was installed.I had no increase in
coolant temps. After MP FMIC install.

I also installed two trans coolers.After installing a smaller non-locking
torque convertor 9.5'' this brought my temp back to the first line
on gauge.I now have installed a small convertor this past week.
this has brought my temps back up to half way between the first
line and the N in NORMAL.

I have done these cooling mods now before I install more power
planned for this winter.I hope & plan to add another 200rwhp.
I have a couple more cooling mods not installed yet.One is a
02 cobra r front air-splitter.

My point is with the right cuts and the removal and or replacment
of brackets and parts. A cowl hood can help the SC Bird run cooler.

I do plan to install a different blower hat.So I can straighten
out the IC tube that runs across the front motor on the back
of the radiator.Not because of cooling ,but to give room for
faster maintence.And to get rid of two bends in the
blower hat IC tube.This should help in the cooling system.
And I hope a little with the IC air temps.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
BT Motorsports said:
The term "cowl hood" seems like it is being used loosely. Jeff and Charles, are you referring to the Cervinis hood
front2a.jpg

where the air is rammed in from the front or those which are vented in the back
Cobra%20R%20hood%201.jpg

by the windshield like the cobra R hood or both?

Paul

I am referring to rear facing cowls . The area at the base of the windshield is an abrupt stop when it is trying to makes it's way around the car. The base of the windshield had to "decide" and go around the car over the roof, or another area (that's why the AC inlet is located there) or into a cowl if present. The air that cools the rad and condenser (and FMIC ) comes from below the front of the sar where air builds up also. and since it has to find a place to go some of it passes under and some goes through the rad system.\

Now since the air that is in the engine is lower pressure than the incoming air there is a pressure (differentia)l drop and this forces the air through the rad system.

But if a cowl hood is used and not blocked then that high pressure air enters the engine compartment, and now you have less differential and therefore less flow.

On front facing scoops it if they are used for other than looks then they would be a determent as well.

Jeff

Last edited:
One more thing is the felt/cardboard things are there for a reason as well, I hated the ones on my car, so I made some aluminum ones. Unfortantly I left thm at work and Vincent thought they were scrap. I would maks some for your cars to help. There are other materias out there that is shet and easy to wiork with, try some cardboard until you find what works for your car.

Some of the high HP guys are probably just running out of cooling system. The rad is so small that I was very suprised when I first got my SC years ago.

Sind a foam company around your area that you can buy closed cell foam strips so you can seal all items together so air doesn't excape around the first core.

I am just going the over the cheap ones.

Jeff

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Thats why when you see cowl hoods on race cars they but up against the windsheild..Merely used for clearence

That statement is a little too general to be accurate. Many race cars do use cowl induction and it is a fact that with a raked windsheild has a very small high pressure area at the base of the windsheild. So in order to take advantage of that high pressure area the hood opening must be put very close to the windsheild.

Of course then there are many other ones which use front facing intakes and in those cases a cowl induction would be a drawback rather than a help, turbo cars come to mind here.

So it would be more accurate to say that many race cars use the cowl hood for cosmetic and clearance purposes only.

:)

Back