Wanted: Your feedback on revised Fastest SC List

R

Ron DiPaola

Wanted: Your feedback on revised Fastest SC List

I am looking for feedback and suggestions on the revised Fastest SC List:

<a href = "http://www.sccoa.com/faq/fastest.php">http://www.sccoa.com/faq/fastest.php</a>

Thanks in advance,
Ron

You just opened the door

For 10 and 11 second SC's.

Adam Mullen
The SC Kid

It should be noted...

That the car is street driven or driveable or before you know it we'll have an 8 second car on the list. Race weight would be interesting to know also.

Adam Mullen
The SC Kid

Re: It should be noted...

I think the time slips should be available as links, but not part of the actual list since they take forever to download for those of us with dialup and also take up too much space on the page.

I think that there should be catagories for obvious things that would be helpful in making sense of some of the times.

For example, columns for displacement, type of supercharger, trans type, tire type, other power adders, etc. This does not need to spawn additional "fastest catagories", it would just give the viewer some sort of idea what it took to run that time.

Plus, links to member cars that are so completely outdated that the description doesn't even describe the car the person is currently driving isn't real helpful and need not be included.

I like the slip as a link, to save time. Also, consider track elevation as a field. That way folks could more appreciate, for example, a mid 13 sec SC in Denver.

Break down the mods so that people can get an idea what will work for them. Since some of us no longer have 3.8's maybe the size of the engine would also be helpful. Right now if you just say a S.C. body,then my 35th with the big block would count. That is not fair to the people who have gone with the Coy engines of the others that are out there like Dr. Freds or maybe even that guy on the upper west coast,if he ever gets it done. These are some of the things that would help. As for real street cars,maybe a look at the rules for the 5.0 street class would be a place to look. These can be found in many places as well as the book for the Ford world challange races. These are just a few ideas,maybe they will help, maybe not. .....Rich

I think the rear-end shouldn't be listed. I mean, if they don't have the IRS then it's more of a racer than a street car. Isn't that the point of the quickest SC? I agree, the timeslips should be a link. I also think the mods should be listed... even if it's like "custom tranny". It'll help give new modifiers a direction to go.

I also think some of the rules need to be revised somewhat. These are my opinions so take it with a grain of salt.

1. If a drag racing style suspension is used, this MUST be specified.

I think IRS should be retained IMHO. I also think the car must be street legal and be able to pass emisions. You can always take the cats off later. :)

2. Your engine must LOOK like a Ford 3.8L SC engine. Boring/stroking acceptable.

This needs to be addressed. Is this block only? Does this mean Manny's inverted setup or George's Whipple will not be vaild? What about cars with front mount IC's, or custom raised tops (XR7 Dave's comes to mind)? These change the appearance but the rules say all power adders are OK. I'm just wanting a clarification.

3. Any other engine than a Ford 3.8L SC based engine is NOT valid.

What if someone had an aluminum block made or uses cast iron heads? I know it's a long shot, but you never know what someone might do. :)

4. Someone must attest to your run. Another SCCoA member is preferred but not necessary.

Good point, but it's hard for people like me to have someone watch. I'm pretty much the only SC'er in Memphis. Can a pic of the car with the number on the window (at the track) be used to verify my timeslip?

Don't want to start a war... thanks.

Paul

Hey, in response to "This needs to be addressed. Is this block only? Does this mean Manny's inverted setup or George's Whipple will not be vaild? What about cars with front mount IC's, or custom raised tops (XR7 Dave's comes to mind)? These change the appearance but the rules say all power adders are OK. I'm just wanting a clarification. "

read this rule:

6. Any and all power adders are acceptable, but let us know if anything other than one supercharger is used.

So a whipple charger/inverted charger don't even need to be adressed. Coy Miller uses a larger blower, i understand, and lots of people use different IC's.

well...

Boring/Stroking shouldn't be allowed. It isn't even a 3.8L then(Sorry Fred) I also like the idea of having to have IRS. No tubbed out SC should make the list.

Thomas

Re: well...

What about posting ET's corrected for elevation posted next to the timeslip time. Elevation is readily available for each and every track. Correction information could be compiled and submitted by anyone so inclined to do the research. Wouldn't have to be Ron or the person submitting the slip either. Heck every ET printed by Car and Driver is corrected for altititude.

That rule about having to have irs is stupid imo, that means we will forever be limited to onefastest sc, and will never get any faster then 11 seconds

In my opinion, the only qualification should be that the VIN plate attached to the car decodes as a 1989 -1995 Thunderbird SC, or a 1989 - 1990 Cougar XR7. Setting limits on displacement, block, trans, rear, or anything is ridiculous.

If you look a quickest lists on any other car club website there usually are not such limitations. engine swaps and pro rear ends abound in the lower numbers.

But I would like to know what IS in any such cars. Therefore I think the rule should be; anything goes, as long as you start with a SC/XR7. But you should not have any secrets. Put everything on the table.

Well, I just wanted to clarify my statement. All power adders is fine, but it doesn't look like an SC engine then. See the descrepancy?

Maybe we should have two categories, one for current rules and one for anything goes? Just an idea.

Paul

If it was just by then VIN number, then you could drop a twin turbo 7.3L and be making 800 hp and running 9's. What's the point?

Thomas

i dont think that engine swaps should be able to qualify for the list (such as big blocks ect).

as long as the engine is derived from the blown 3.8, it should count. i dont think that bored and stroked motors should be left out, or motors with upgraded sc's ect.

Re: .

Yes, the slip as a link would definitely help, since I'm stuck on 28.8k dial-up. Transmission, gears and tires would be nice to know. I think that anything that starts as a 3.8L sc should be allowed (4.3's, whipple's, etc.).

If it was just by then VIN number, then you could drop a twin turbo 7.3L and be making 800 hp and running 9's.

Yep.

What's the point?

The point is it is still a Thunderbird SC or Cougar XR7 and I for one would still be interested in seeing it.

Do you think that any of the Mustang guys who drop a 351 (or anything really) in a fox body are not included in their lists?

Ron:

I agree with Andy that all restrictions should be lifted. However an updated mod list should submitted with any timeslip in the top 25.

This would give everyone an idea of what was required to run the time posted.

Since mods are listed in the Member Cars section, it would also be necessary to allow non-members space in that area, similar to how the Fastest SC list is handled.

David

Re: Wanted: Your feedback on revised Fastest SC List

The old rules were perfect and I understood them very easily because they were simple. The new rules are fine also.

'bird

Back