Gas prices @ SUNOCO

Ryan A Harris

Anyone else notice that the price of premium has gone from 12 cents to 14 cents above the posted prices?

On a side note how many of you guys use SUNOCO 94? I would like to see what sort or % use a lower grade of octane. Does anyone use less than 92?

Well, I used to run strictly Sunoco 94 in my SC, but since this last round of hikes and the fact that Sunoco went to the $0.14 gap, I am running MacEwen Premium. MacEwen is a local distributor here in the Ottawa Valley and their fuel is a 10% ethanol blend. Their preimum gap is $0.08 and regular is generally around $0.04 - $0.07 a litre under the major brands. It's a matter of economics as well as the premium gap difference the big boys charge is a blatant money grab.

Yes, my SC runs best with Sunoco94, but for the few times per tank where I actually need to teach a Ricer or a Schnitzel who rules, it's not worth it. My SC runs fine on MacEwens with plenty of snot and 26-30 mpg.

Ryan A Harris said:
Anyone else notice that the price of premium has gone from 12 cents to 14 cents above the posted prices?

On a side note how many of you guys use SUNOCO 94? I would like to see what sort or % use a lower grade of octane. Does anyone use less than 92?

I put nothing but Sunoco Gold in my SC.

My Thunderbird runs best on Petro-Canada's 91 octane fuel.

94 octane is a waste of time for street cars, IMO.

The reason the gap may have increased is if the 12 cent gap was an applied percentage, so if gas was 70 cents per litre, a 12 cent surcharge for premium is almost 17% more for the higher grade. With gas at 1 dollar per litre, 17% more would mean a 17 cent surcharge, so if anything, they aren't marking up premium as much as they used to.

Imagine that...Sunoco is actually giving you a DEAL! :eek:

I used to run Sunoco 94,but when Dave came up i tuned with 91 octane.I use shell premium 91,my car does not like petro can.

I always ran 91 in my SC and run 94 in my Mustang based on the tune. I need to get the switch so I can run a 91 tune all the time.

Sunoco has gotten more expensive, I noticed that too.

Canadian Tire 91 octane was $109.1, plus you get CT money and a Sobey's grocery coupon. :)
That's right, Superbird lives and is bringing home the groceries.
Idles very quietly actually. Haven't taken it above 2k rpm yet. Time will tell whether I have to deal with Concepts On Morana again or not.

I use nothing but 94 and yes I noticed the 12 cents to 14 cent jump!! What a pain in the A$$.I think we are getting it up the a$$ :D

Being out here in the boonies all I get is Pioneer 91 octane, and my car runs great... I ran a couple of tanks of 94 ultra when I filled up in Brantford but I didn't notice any difference at idle, cruise or WOT.

I do run a slightly shorter plug (Autolite APP 764) at the standard gap so that may be helping.

Frit

fturner said:
Being out here in the boonies all I get is Pioneer 91 octane, and my car runs great... I ran a couple of tanks of 94 ultra when I filled up in Brantford but I didn't notice any difference at idle, cruise or WOT.

I do run a slightly shorter plug (Autolite APP 764) at the standard gap so that may be helping.

Frit

I talked to a Pioneer dealer a few years ago and their 91 is actually Sunoco 94. Sunoco supplies Pioneer stations under an agreement that they only advertise 91 octane so Sunoco can brag having "The Highest Octane on the Street". I'm not sure if this is still the case or if Sunoco is still the Pioneer supplier. My SC likes Pioneer 91 and I fill there if available.

BTW - I can feel the difference in my SC running in this cool night air of late. September and October do have their advantages. Mileage suffers though due to lead footin'.

I also remember reading a Bill Hull article in the original Chargin' Thunder publication ('96??). Bill indicated these engines were designed to run most efficiently in the lower power band (2200-2600 RPM). I cruised many highway miles( 1000/week) in a very tired '90 SC in those days and would get into 5th gear as soon as possible figuring my mileage would be better. 100Km/hr had the engine rotating @ about 1850 RPM. After reding the article I stayed in 4th, taking the RPM up to about 2250. 4-6 MPG increase. That car had factory 2.73:1 gears. My current ride has 3.27:1, so 100Km/hr is 2450 RPM in 4th. I now always cruise in this range and get an honest 26-30 MPG. Try it. I'll find the article and get Bill's permission to post it. Standby, over..... :eek:)

Bruce

Interesting thought, and makes sense as your getting right into torgue band for these cars. I want to upgrade my car to 3.55's because the other idea is to get my RPM's higher at cruise speed so I don't strain the tranny so much.

If anyone out there has a pumpkin with 3.55 gears in good shape, I'd be willing to swap mine, which has the 3.27's (being its auto).

Frit

Interesting info for sure. I figured more of you guys would be running the 94 octane from Sunoco.

Anyone have iedas on how to fight the gas prices?

Ryan A Harris said:
Interesting info for sure. I figured more of you guys would be running the 94 octane from Sunoco.

Everyone in North America not drive their cars/trucks for a day in protest..... thats all :eek:

Frit

Ryan A Harris said:

a bucket and a rubber hose...?

I think it is pretty simple actually.It should be advertized in the paper that everyone boycott a certan gas station for 4 to 5 days at a time or even a week! This would cost them millions of dollars.I honnestly dont think any gas company could afford no revenue comming in for even one single day little lone a week straigt! :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
hehe...

That was my original plan...

But I normally run Pioneer 91 but I try to fill up with Sunoco 94 whenever I have enough money!! LOL

Ryan A Harris said:

Don't buy any. I've been riding my new bicycle to work at least one day a week.

Back